Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Healthy Eating

I was having a discussion with a friend about traveling.
He says that pulling a travel trailer is a very poor way to travel. They like to travel by car stay in motels and eat out all the time. Much cheaper and more relaxing according to him. No making the bed or cooking or washing dishes.

We love pulling our Airstream and seeing the country. We really think we eat much healthier when traveling in our trailer. Eating out all the time sounds disgusting to us. We like to try regional specialties, but eating fast food all the time would suck.
It is hard to find a decent place when you pull into a strange town. We have urban spoon but haven't found it to be much help.
We mostly travel in the summer and travel the highways and byways so it is easy to find fresh produce along the way.

Do you think you eat healthier when traveling in your trailer?
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Among the advantages of traveling with the Airstream is we have the facilities to eat the same way as when at home. And at my age good food is important and makes me feel better.

Like you we like some regional meals when traveling but the franchises are taking over everywhere, and everywhere you go they are always present and alike. We avoid them for the most part.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
ntsbltsrvits

2015 27' FB International
2016 30' International
Eagle , Idaho
I totally agree with Hickory and Doug. I'm pretty much over the hotel thing with unfamiliar beds, pillows, etc. Having to go out to get decent coffee in the morning, lunch, and dinner. My first AS is on order and scheduled delivery in late February. Really looking forward to it!
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Yes, we eat healthier because we don't have to go out and find breakfast, lunch and dinner. We can make it when we want to. And when you do go out they give you too much food, and if you have no place to store it you just throw away the extra, or eat too much! I like having my own kitchen and food to cook. I think it is much more relaxing too!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Definitely eat healthier when we get to pick our own food to take along in the AS ... minimizing junk foods.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:54 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

"Do you think you eat healthier when traveling in your trailer?"

Hickory,

YEP.....I use a spoon.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"Do you think you eat healthier when traveling in your trailer?"

Hickory,

YEP.....I use a spoon.

Bob
Bob,
I want to eat at your Airstream! I have ny own spoon too...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Now if there was a garden on top of our trailers.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:51 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Bob,
I want to eat at your Airstream! I have ny own spoon too...
Bruce
Truly the best of both Worlds....

C-eh-N-eh-D-eh gave us the Yellow Food.

And the U.S. supplied the Weenie.

Bob
Old 12-12-2014, 05:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cute Octo-weenie, Always a great hit when babysitting or on a picnic with children. The legs get really curly when cooked on a grill or over a fire.

The way I fulltime - single, still working and quite often in the same campground - it can become the same old thing. Not having a lot of freezer space AND the inconvenience of cooking for one can become a challenge.

The best thing for me to tempt me to eat healthy is
(a) shop for veggies frequently - fortunately there's a farmers market nearby
(b) cook like I have a family of 6 and freeze the leftovers - mess and cleanup time are about the same for a big family as for one serving
(c) vacuum freezer bags - saves freezer space! Reheat vs go out, reheat wins 90%
(d) found a custom butcher shop selling grain fed meat - high cost helps me limit portion size!
(e) being near a farm where the chickens run in the yard and they candle and sell the eggs (fertile eggs better be candled and super fresh!)

When traveling it's really nice to have something that can be reheated on the stovetop and be delish. A couple of times I've traveled with an empty fridge and just trying to find someplace to park and eat that isn't a greasy spoon? (Matter of fact, got my rear roadside segment crinkled at a Mickey D's. That's a punishment that fits the crime I suppose.)

Totally agree that franchise food is bleah! And quiet little off the beaten path places can be anywhere from great to gahdoffal. Is "urban bite" a app that is reliable?

Paula
Old 12-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Cute Octo-weenie, Always a great hit when babysitting or on a picnic with children. The legs get really curly when cooked on a grill or over a fire.

The way I fulltime - single, still working and quite often in the same campground - it can become the same old thing. Not having a lot of freezer space AND the inconvenience of cooking for one can become a challenge.

The best thing for me to tempt me to eat healthy is
(a) shop for veggies frequently - fortunately there's a farmers market nearby
(b) cook like I have a family of 6 and freeze the leftovers - mess and cleanup time are about the same for a big family as for one serving
(c) vacuum freezer bags - saves freezer space! Reheat vs go out, reheat wins 90%
(d) found a custom butcher shop selling grain fed meat - high cost helps me limit portion size!
(e) being near a farm where the chickens run in the yard and they candle and sell the eggs (fertile eggs better be candled and super fresh!)

When traveling it's really nice to have something that can be reheated on the stovetop and be delish. A couple of times I've traveled with an empty fridge and just trying to find someplace to park and eat that isn't a greasy spoon? (Matter of fact, got my rear roadside segment crinkled at a Mickey D's. That's a punishment that fits the crime I suppose.)

Totally agree that franchise food is bleah! And quiet little off the beaten path places can be anywhere from great to gahdoffal. Is "urban bite" a app that is reliable?

Paula
One of the highlights of my day when we are on the road and making tracks is to find a cool, local (never a chain) restaurant to eat at. Dorsey is a very creative,talented cook but some days we just want to experience the feel of a new place!

We use a variety of apps and Internet browsing to locate new experiences while on the road. Of course it helps to have one person to do the research as the other drives... It can be difficult to get it right as we never know exactly what road we will take or when we might decide that we are hungry but our efforts have produced some really wonderful "finds".

We take pride in avoiding chains on road trips... It is fun!

Now I want an Octo-weenie! Not sure I can get Dorsey to buy into that one though...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
"When traveling it's really nice to have something that can be reheated.."

What we like is what we call 'three State chili'.
It takes three States to make and can be eaten 'til the end of the trip.

Plus it promotes frequent rest stops which contributes the the healthy side of the equation.

Bob
Old 12-12-2014, 06:00 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Definitely eat better and healthier. I put a small Greenmountain Grill in the truck and do a lot of cooking outdoors. Grill fish, chicken and vegetables. Use cast-iron skillet for eggs for breakfast.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-12-2014, 06:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What dkottum said.

The big thing, at home or on the road, is to generally avoid restaraunts and prepare your own meals.

Easier, less expensive, and better for you.

Maggie
Old 12-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Can't imagine having to eat out all the time. I have seen too many dirty restaurant kitchens. We rarely eat out. I love to cook and bake so having my own fridge and oven is crucial. Additionally I like having my own bed, bath and living space. I know who slept in the bed last. Having our Airstream means we do not have to worry about the people next door making noise, cleanliness of the room and bed, or any of the so often heard about misfortunes of hotels not being up to par.

We love to stop along the way and make a salad or sandwich for lunch. Grilling dinner is routine for us. I make my own granola and so our breakfasts are healthy too. Evening campfires and enjoying the fresh air, walks and views is wonderful. Additionally meeting nice people along the way is a bonus. These are all things you do not get in hotels. Too many bad stories about hotels. They are not for us.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Way more expensive to eat out than prepare your own.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
The DW went hardcore vegan 12 months ago and finding restaurants outside the big cities that do proper vegan food, that is fully plant-based and oil-free, is nigh on impossible. What you can get when travelling, though, is good quality local produce just about anywhere, so this last summer the Airstream was a travelling vegan kitchen when we were on the road. Sure, you spend lots of time in the preparation, but under the awning is a great place to eat on a balmy evening.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Earlier this year, we took what was to be a 3 week vacation without our Airstream. We needed to get somewhere fast initially due to a relative's health issue and decided to go by auto as we had not de-winterized yet or done the first trip maintenance and time was of the essence.

The first few days were okay. But we picked up some bad food somewhere and had to cut our vacation short. We spent 5 days traveling 500 miles because we were too sick to continue driving. It took another 10 days or so to really recover to full strength.

We like to try new foods and restaurants, but when it is for every meal, the chances of exposure to bad stuff increases significantly.

Since having the above experience, we have downsized to our Interstate and will likely never travel without it out of state for other than a dire medical emergency. Much of that desire is driven by the ability to make our own healthy and safe food and to sleep in our own bed.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have had Mueslix jags, off and on, for 20 years or so, since enjoying it overseas and then watching a Scandinavian woman on TV show how easy it was to make.

Nice to balance out dietary indulgences with scrubbing bubbles for your arteries, and a very quick, cold breakfast. I have eaten this for dinner on long travel days.

Am currently "on", and thought I would share my super-simple recipe, which you can make at home....or on the road.

MUESLIX

6 cups quick or regular oats, toasted in your oven or a skillet on low heat...cooled. I like the taste of toasted oats, and find them more digestible this way.

Add:

2 cups dried fruit of choice...I like dried cherries, cranberries, raisins, apricots, whatever sounds good at the time
2 cups nuts of choice.....slivered almonds, chopped pecans, walnuts, etc
2 tablespoons or so of brown sugar

Mix thoroughly with your hands, breaking up dried fruit clumps, and store in an airtight container.

You can add anything to this that you like....sometimes I toast coconut with the oats, add wheat or oat bran, wheat germ, etc.

To serve:

Stir to combine ingredients that have settled, scoop into a bowl, cover with milk of choice and let sit awhile. Slice a banana or other fresh fruit on top, if desired.

Maggie
Old 02-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory View Post
I was having a discussion with a friend about traveling.
He says that pulling a travel trailer is a very poor way to travel. They like to travel by car stay in motels and eat out all the time. Much cheaper and more relaxing according to him. No making the bed or cooking or washing dishes.

We love pulling our Airstream and seeing the country. We really think we eat much healthier when traveling in our trailer. Eating out all the time sounds disgusting to us. We like to try regional specialties, but eating fast food all the time would suck.
It is hard to find a decent place when you pull into a strange town. We have urban spoon but haven't found it to be much help.
We mostly travel in the summer and travel the highways and byways so it is easy to find fresh produce along the way.

Do you think you eat healthier when traveling in your trailer?
Hickory

Ha,

I traveled when I worked for over 40 years, sometimes hitting over 200 nights a year and flew over 6 million miles. I don't care for hotels, motels etc or many restaurants. We purchase our RVs, and now another AS for two main reasons - (1) My career was spent in motels and restaurants, and we agreed to avoid motels at all costs and eat out once a week (2) So we could take our dogs every place with us. So far so good.

As to eating healthy, I try to eat so, but don't fret about it. My wife is healthier than I am.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote