Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2015, 06:10 AM   #301
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
"unfortunately Keurig has replaced the art of brewing with the science of brewing"

The problem I have with Keurig and other machines like it to include getting an Espresso at Starbucks etc. is they have no idea how I like my coffee. They think we drink it all the same way. So for me to take the few minutes to brew my own coffee is worth the wait. That way as the ad once said "I can have it my way".

It just seems to me there is just to many companies, governments etc telling me how I should like it. I know one can say there is mild coffee, bold coffee etc.

So lets be rebels and continue to brew our own coffee our way when camping.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #302
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I take a french press with me along with whatever roast of beans I am into that week Currently Sterling roasters are on rotation!

Only downside, I tend to leave the burr grinder at home and smooth the beans in an old blade grinder.... It is on the upgrade list
Old 01-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #303
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Bialetti stovetop, Coleman Perc small,

Bialetti stovetop expressomaker is my prefered when travelling. It comes in a whole line with sizes from 2 to 12 expresso cups, but a 4 is my mainstay. Cast AU. Then I can dilute with milk to taste The o ring seal will go every year or so with hard use, but that's part of the charm for me ~10 part.

~$40 if you look around and there are knock offs. I think the older design is very slightly better.

I have a small medium coleman aluminum stovetop percolator with a wood handle from the 50s that makes 4 or 6 cups (8oz). I would use this for guests, larger groups or people who just don't appreciate expresso and I can use regular grind, cheapo coffee.

~$20

I'm underwhelmed by the french press method, seems like a a lot of work, and cleaning and whatever. Coffee tastes oily to me. I have a 4k plumbed built in german superautomatic at home so a countertop mr coffee drip machine isn't going to impress me. I'm religiously opposed to pods in general as a source of expense and garbage.

I don't like the idea of running large inductive loads (more than the microwave for short runs off of a battery/inverter).
Although I admit that the Illy machine and it's little incompatible with everything micropods is kind of cute.

When I win the lottery I will have a Miele 6000 Series Superautomatic with color touchscreen installed in my 2018 AS Land Yacht, powered by an onboard on demand 6KW ONAN.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #304

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
I take a french press with me along with whatever roast of beans I am into that week Currently Sterling roasters are on rotation!

Only downside, I tend to leave the burr grinder at home and smooth the beans in an old blade grinder.... It is on the upgrade list
Blade grinders are despicable.

I have a hand-cranked burr grinder for camping. Just over $30 from Amazon, available from many other sources as well.

Hario "Skerton" ceramic burr grinder

As long as I remember to put the kettle on before I start fiddling with the grinder, the coffee is ground and in whichever coffee-making device I've chosen that day before the water is hot enough anyway. Extra bonus, I store the hand grinder at home when we're not camping and can grind coffee without starting the generator in the event of a power failure.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #305
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

A good grinder is a must

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #306
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Good coffee maker for a trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post

I'm underwhelmed by the french press method, seems like a a lot of work, and cleaning and whatever. Coffee tastes oily to me. I have a 4k plumbed built in german superautomatic at home so a countertop mr coffee drip machine isn't going to impress me. I'm religiously opposed to pods in general as a source of expense and garbage.

Your opinion of course valid, but that's the point of french press systems - it does not filter out the coffee oils which impart the flavor. As a result, taste differences between coffee varieties at the same roast level become far more pronounced. That being said, the flip side, if there's one part of coffee apart from caffeine which may have health implications are the oils. Cleaning wise, I simply add a little water after use, swirl, then the contents go down the black tank.

Re PODs, at least nespresso, the costs are still cheaper than a coffee house, though outrageous compared to home ground. and Nespresso accepts all used pods at its stores for the recycling of the aluminum cases.

For me, at home, it's a nespresso citiz unit, and in my trailer, it's a hand grinder and Rok branded hand manual espresso pump for espresso and a french press for coffees.

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Ford F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #307
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
This thread has been running for very close to 5 years - 300 + posts and just shy of 28,000 views. Not too hard to see that a good cup of coffee is very serious business ......

..... and now Burger King owns Tim Hortons ......

..... we are doomed ......

..... the beginning of the end ....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #308
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
"Cleaning wise, I simply add a little water after use, swirl, then the contents go down the black tank.".

Well how dumb do I feel! You'd be amazed how many times I have wiped those grounds out with paper towel so they wouldn't go down the sink drain. Thank you!

Peapod 1776
KenSanLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #309
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink

AS WNY was the first location outside the GWN, our Tim Ho credibility is impeccable.

WADR.......Their Coffee has always been suspect.

Bob
Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #310
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
This thread has been running for very close to 5 years - 300 + posts and just shy of 28,000 views. Not too hard to see that a good cup of coffee is very serious business ......

..... and now Burger King owns Tim Hortons ......

..... we are doomed ......

..... the beginning of the end ....

Jay
Burger King is just another lousy U.S. Corporation who wants to do business here but not pay taxes. I think your excellent coffee is safe.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:56 PM   #311
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Slidell , Louisiana
Send a message via ICQ to geekgrrrl Send a message via AIM to geekgrrrl Send a message via Skype™ to geekgrrrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We use a small single serve Kerig. However, must confess our daughter manages a couple of Starbucks and each employee at each location gets a "mark out" once a week, which is a bag of coffee or a box of Kerig cups. So we don't have the significant expense.
I bought a set of reuseable K cups my SO fills with his favorite brand of coffee, so we don't need to buy the K cups. I also have a favorite flavor however, and his dad bought me 10 boxes (18 apiece) of that flavor.

I drink coffee maybe once a week most weeks... less than that ordinarily.

AIR member 94157
geekgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #312
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Chemex.
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #313
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have an ancient SS percolator originally purchased from LL Bean that we use on the propane stove in the galley. We were amazed to discover that with good quality beans and persistently proper percolation protocol, we consistently get astoundingly good coffee. Best of all, no electricity needed and we can tweak the brew as desired, depending on the beans.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #314
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Espro french press. Amazing improvements over the traditional glass/wire mesh french presses we have had over the years. Non breakable, vacuum insulated, much better filtering, cleaner and better taste. Various sizes.

At home, a Simonelli machine and Simonelli grinder, but that is too much to carry.

espro press — espro - precision coffee
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #315
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
The answer was French press... I thought I settled this weeks ago.

-Red, losing control of the interwebs...
Old 01-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #316
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
How perspicacious of you! Props to the French press, but we'll stick with our particularly persnickety percolation process, thank you very much. (What that means is that we have a percolator, but not a French press, haha.)

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #317
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
Chemex.

^
X2

Coffee for us 'Old Farts'

Bob
Old 01-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #318
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Clever Coffee Dripper. Lets the coffee"brew"for a couple of minutes before releasing into the cup when you set it on top. Easy to dispose of the grounds. By the time the water is hot in the electric kettle ( or on the propane stove) I am ready to make my coffee and hubby is ready to brew his tea.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #319
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
Stainless percolator we have had for years. Gone from tent camping to popup to AS. Set up every night before going to bed get up turn the stove on go back to bed till ready. Wake up DW drink coffee don't get any better.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #320
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
Chemex.
No doubt here as well. Simple, easy, quick, drop the filter and grounds in the trash, no mess. No it's not new, been around since 1941, even longer than 1945 me.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote