Old 09-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Trouble was folks heard stories about pressure cookers. These were "friend of a friend" stories, non verifiable but sincerely believed, and as a result folks believed that they were dealing with a potential bomb in their kitchen. Truth is you have to be really stupid to have a pressure cooker incident.
I have 2 of 'em 1 in the kitchen and one in the TT. They save time and fuel and make the best pot roast or BBQ ribs you ever had.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Gearheart, my old grandpappy had to use a pressure cooker to cook all meats because it was the only thing that got it tender enough to chew.....or gum as the case may be. That ol' cooker would be steamin' all day. Kinda like the boilers on the Titanic. But you are right - his pot roast was as soft as butter.

Truckers also have some nifty road-cookin' appliances.

https://www.thehealthytrucker.net/5-...ng-appliances/

Old 09-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
No experience, but a quick internet search finds some interesting reviews...

Wonderbag Portable Slow Cooker » The Worst Things For Sale
That was the only bad review I found though.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #32
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Doesn't make it less scientifically sound. The pot isn't airtight, and any bugs that are present are able to grow in those conditions.

Interestingly if you apply the same criteria to many slow cookers they will also fail.

Bugs are everywhere (and yes I am a trained microbiologist, working in a pharmaceutical manufacturing environment so know what I'm talking about) and if you are provide conditions in which they will grow, the only protection is how well they are sealed out.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:12 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
I've forgotten which forums member should get the credit, but you might check this link I copied from a recent post. It looks like it might be your solution. Cooks the food with residual heat retained by good insulation. Just get the food boiling well on the stove top, put it in the insulated bag, turn everything off, and go. No additional energy needed to cause a potential problem.

Home page

It's really wonderbagworld.com
I posted it, as did another forums member.

I got one for Christmas last year, have only used it once so far, but they do work. I did garlic chicken, it was tender and delicious.

These were developed for use in third world countries, where cooking fuel is at a premium, if I recall correctly.

They have been around for quite awhile, and are feeding those without the comforts that we have......and folks are not dying of food poisoning, but living to tell how these items have changed their lives.

You could start something in the morning, per directions, put the pot in the WonderBag, set it in your sink, and dinner would be ready when you stop for the night.

If you google them, you will find out how to purchase.

Maggie
Old 09-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Doesn't make it less scientifically sound. The pot isn't airtight, and any bugs that are present are able to grow in those conditions.

Interestingly if you apply the same criteria to many slow cookers they will also fail.

Bugs are everywhere (and yes I am a trained microbiologist, working in a pharmaceutical manufacturing environment so know what I'm talking about) and if you are provide conditions in which they will grow, the only protection is how well they are sealed out.
Yes, germs are everywhere including on our skin, in our mouths, throat, esophagus, gut. All kinds of germs. The scariest kinds of germs, like the ones that make the news! I just don't live in fear of them.

I don't carry around hand sanitizer, I sit, not hover, directly on public toilets, I shake hands with people, I hug strangers that I've just met, and I use a crockpot. I do wash my hands with soap and water after using the bathroom each and everytime, and I do wash my hands before cooking, and after preparing raw meat. But I don't freak out over germs.

When I was young I let my children run amok outside for hours and hours and that meant dirt. They had hamsters and guinea pigs and frogs and fish for pets. They got skinned knees and concussions, and the occasional gash on the forehead. One of them got pinworms, all of them brought lice home from a neighbor kid once, there were colds and flus the average twice a year per child x4, and occasional vomiting and oh the horrors! But not once did I give anyone food poisoning. All four children of all four pregnancies reached their adult years and are still thriving, (two are producing their own free range children). I even raised them for more than half of their lives without medical insurance. I'm a mother, so yeah, I know what I'm talking about.

Do you remember the nursery rhyme of "Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old..."? Somehow our human ancestors survived this period of time, our bodies must be stronger than we think they are.

I think I will buy one of these WonderBags! I like the idea of helping other people. I like the idea of saving resources. I like saving money on Gas & Electric bills. I like easy cooking.

And oh, these are on Amazon now!

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
Old 09-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I posted it, as did another forums member.

I got one for Christmas last year, have only used it once so far, but they do work. I did garlic chicken, it was tender and delicious.

These were developed for use in third world countries, where cooking fuel is at a premium, if I recall correctly.

They have been around for quite awhile, and are feeding those without the comforts that we have......and folks are not dying of food poisoning, but living to tell how these items have changed their lives.

You could start something in the morning, per directions, put the pot in the WonderBag, set it in your sink, and dinner would be ready when you stop for the night.

If you google them, you will find out how to purchase.

Maggie
Thank you Maggie, mind if I ask you a couple questions? What kind of pot do you use? And how many quarts of casserole or soup do you make at a time? I was thinking this would work best with my boyfriend's 12qt cast iron pot, no legs.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Do we think this RoadPro cooker pulls 8 amps all the time? I gotta think it cycles on and off? I think my home crockpot cycles on and off.......
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #37
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
Do we think this RoadPro cooker pulls 8 amps all the time? I gotta think it cycles on and off? I think my home crockpot cycles on and off.......
Anything with a thermostat will cycle on and off as the thermostat dictates.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #38
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Yes, germs are everywhere including on our skin, in our mouths, throat, esophagus, gut. All kinds of germs. The scariest kinds of germs, like the ones that make the news! I just don't live in fear of them.

I don't carry around hand sanitizer, I sit, not hover, directly on public toilets, I shake hands with people, I hug strangers that I've just met, and I use a crockpot. I do wash my hands with soap and water after using the bathroom each and everytime, and I do wash my hands before cooking, and after preparing raw meat. But I don't freak out over germs.

When I was young I let my children run amok outside for hours and hours and that meant dirt. They had hamsters and guinea pigs and frogs and fish for pets. They got skinned knees and concussions, and the occasional gash on the forehead. One of them got pinworms, all of them brought lice home from a neighbor kid once, there were colds and flus the average twice a year per child x4, and occasional vomiting and oh the horrors! But not once did I give anyone food poisoning. All four children of all four pregnancies reached their adult years and are still thriving, (two are producing their own free range children). I even raised them for more than half of their lives without medical insurance. I'm a mother, so yeah, I know what I'm talking about.

Do you remember the nursery rhyme of "Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old..."? Somehow our human ancestors survived this period of time, our bodies must be stronger than we think they are.

I think I will buy one of these WonderBags! I like the idea of helping other people. I like the idea of saving resources. I like saving money on Gas & Electric bills. I like easy cooking.

And oh, these are on Amazon now!
Its a good philosophy PammieSue, and the principle of exposure building resistance is sound and proven, and our ancestors did survive. However that also means the bugs that now survive (i.e. are not killed off by our natural immunity) are also getting stronger.

To me a wonderbag cooked meal is no more 'dangerous' than eating day old stew that has been sitting on a stove top after the heat has been removed.....I wouldn't eat that either, many would, that is their decision
Old 09-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #39

2012 Interstate Coach
Two principles apply here. First, enough heat has to be applied to kill off the bacteria, namely over 120F. Second, you have to prevent new bacteria from getting in after the meal is heated.

A Wonderbag will not make the food hotter. All it will do is keep it hot long enough for the food to finish cooking.

If you get the meal hot enough before putting it in the Wonderbag, and never remove the lid until you're ready to eat, the food will be entirely safe.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Careful vs. Paranoid

I've had people look at the Dutch Oven and say out loud, you'll never cook that with just a few pieces of charcoal. Four hours later I have to hold them off with a sharp fork while they wait to devour the goodies. Pot luck dinners? All those diseased people breathing on the food? Heavens!

Yes take reasonable care and wash your hands. But really, ONE person said the food temperature was 128? Did it ever reach a rolling boil.. or maybe did they wait 15 minutes after turning it off to get it into the bag?

Paula
Old 09-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #41

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Did it ever reach a rolling boil.. or maybe did they wait 15 minutes after turning it off to get it into the bag?
Temperatures don't have to reach the boiling point of water in order to kill bacteria. You don't heat all of your meat to 212F when you grill, do you? Go online and look up "temperature required to kill bacteria." It's much lower than the boiling point of water.

If you were trying to cook tainted meat, then heating to a boil would make sense. But foodstuffs that have been properly stored and prepared are much safer ingredients and don't have to be boiled to be safe, just heated enough.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Anything with a thermostat will cycle on and off as the thermostat dictates.
Yes of couse, but, I should have asked more clearly - Does this crockpot have a thermostat?

Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote