Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #281
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
I like my Weber, I think its called the junior Q. Once a year I wash it with a power washer and start all over again. I have had it for 4 years and it still works great.
Allen H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #282
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
So Cal , California
We have a Weber Q, and we LOVE it! It throws a lot of heat, same as a large propane grill. And the cast iron grill is terrific, great for searing steaks and burgers.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #283
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
This what I use. I can literally smoke a whole chicken. Also grills and you can even cook your potatoes and veges in on sitting.

Only uses 5 briquetts to cook with. I just add smoke chips for flavor.

Here is the link.
Cobb Portable Grill from Cobb America - The Ultimate Cobb portable grill, BBQ, Smoker and Cooker.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #284
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
A Challenge-Looking for SMALL BBQ

I may be looking for something that doesn't exist but if I does, I'm betting someone here has seen it.

I'm trying to set up for outdoor cooking with a grill that can be put away in a seal-able box in order to contain the mess and odors that come along with grilling. I want to find a small (preferably propane) BBQ that will fit entirely inside of a Small (8 gal.) Rubbermaid ActionPacker. The inside dimensions of the ActionPacker are roughly 15"L X 13"W X 10"H and I'm not finding a BBQ that will fit. Alternatively, is there another brand of sturdy plastic box with a similar type of clamp down lid that would be a little larger than the Small ActionPacker? My Interstate has limited storage space and the spot I have identified for this purpose would allow for a box as large as 24"L X 17"W X 16"H. This would accommodate a larger BBQ.

Thanks,
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #285
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Try the rectangular weber grill. I have one that is charcoal fired and probably would fit your action pak. I think they make a propane one too. The lid of the grill is held in place when not in use by the attached stand (stand is 2 heavy rods that are pre bent to form a stand) that folds over and locks the lid in place.
The Weber web site probably has them on it. I bought this one over 10 years ago and it works well for me. I store mine, when traveling, in an old nylon sleeping bag sack with a draw string.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #286
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsB View Post
We have a Weber Q, and we LOVE it! It throws a lot of heat, same as a large propane grill. And the cast iron grill is terrific, great for searing steaks and burgers.
And I let it burn off for a few minutes before I put it away so there are no odors.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #287
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Tucson , Arizona
I'm looking too and would prefer a gas grill but this spacesaving concept tempts me. It's probably not the best quality but maybe someone does a stainless one. I like the weber too.
Walmart.com: Fire Sense HotSpot Notebook Portable Charcoal Grill: Grills & Outdoor Cooking
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #288
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Try the rectangular weber grill. I have one that is charcoal fired and probably would fit your action pak. I think they make a propane one too. The lid of the grill is held in place when not in use by the attached stand (stand is 2 heavy rods that are pre bent to form a stand) that folds over and locks the lid in place.
The Weber web site probably has them on it. I bought this one over 10 years ago and it works well for me. I store mine, when traveling, in an old nylon sleeping bag sack with a draw string.
We use the rectangular Weber grill, too (charcoal version)... I know it will fit in a tote because on our trips home after camping we put it in the tote that carries our fire wood... (after we've used the firewood). I like the shape because it's compact and packs better than the round guys. I store charcoal in large zip locks inside it, too. I can store enough charcoal inside for 5-6 grilled meals depending on how much charcoal you need for a given meal...then there's one less thing to haul.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
....>snip<... this spacesaving concept tempts me. It's probably not the best quality but maybe someone does a stainless one. ....>snip<...
Walmart.com: Fire Sense HotSpot Notebook Portable Charcoal Grill: Grills & Outdoor Cooking
This is a very clever design....a grill that stores FLAT!! Too bad it's made so cheaply...if someone did a sturdier version I'd be getting one!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #290
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Here's a better quality version of the notebook grill
A+R Store - Stainless Steel Notebook Grill Product Detail
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #291
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I have the Volcano collapsing model grill
with the propane kit. Works great.

http://www.volcano2.com/downloads/VolcanoII.pdf
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #292
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Hibachi, under $10, wrap your food in tim foil, a bit of beer, nothing like it..
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #293
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
Here's a better quality version of the notebook grill
A+R Store - Stainless Steel Notebook Grill Product Detail
Thanks, Charlotte! Do you have one of these? If so, how do you like it?
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #294
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
I may be looking for something that doesn't exist but if I does, I'm betting someone here has seen it.

I'm trying to set up for outdoor cooking with a grill that can be put away in a seal-able box in order to contain the mess and odors that come along with grilling. I want to find a small (preferably propane) BBQ that will fit entirely inside of a Small (8 gal.) Rubbermaid ActionPacker. The inside dimensions of the ActionPacker are roughly 15"L X 13"W X 10"H and I'm not finding a BBQ that will fit. Alternatively, is there another brand of sturdy plastic box with a similar type of clamp down lid that would be a little larger than the Small ActionPacker? My Interstate has limited storage space and the spot I have identified for this purpose would allow for a box as large as 24"L X 17"W X 16"H. This would accommodate a larger BBQ.
Wayne,
I have a Coleman RoadTrip LX Grill (see link below) that I use and love it, takes up very little space and you dont have the smell because it is easy to clean (Non Stick). It is propane, you can use the small cans (I carry 1 for need only) or run a hose from it to your propane tanks eliminating the need to carry extra propane tank which can be dangerous. Comes with its own stand, you can set it up for double grilling surface or have the wire grids for pots and pans. I have both due to the fact I wanted to be in the position of cooking without using pots and pans. Set it up, cook, eat, wipe it off, go, we have used it at campgrounds, rest areas, pull outs, picnic areas.

Coleman - RoadTrip Grill LX -=

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #295
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Problem solved - it fits!

I ended up buying a Coleman All-in-One Cooking system at REI. Cost was $99 and it comes with a stove grate, grill grate and griddle. After a lot of trial and error I found a way to get it to fit in the 8 gal. Action Packer. It only fits one way but the lid does close completely. Now to see how well it cooks! I'll post my test results here. If it works reasonably well, I'll put some foam gasket material around the lip of the Action Packer lid so the odors are locked inside. I also want to set it up to use propane from the Interstate tank so I don't have to mess with the 16.4 oz. bottles.

Another version of this cooker is available at Sam's Club and Camping World for $150 and this version includes a stock pot.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions here. I'm sure some of the more elaborate grills like the Coleman RoadTrip cook better than this one but I just didn't want to devote that much of the limited space in the Interstate.
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #296
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Okay, not quite portable . . unless one has the luxury of a longbed pickup with topper shell. I'm in my fifties and this grill is older than me.

PK Grill

PortableKitchen

Cast-aluminum, on a folding stand. Charcoal.

Barbecue Grills & Charcoal Grills - Barbeque Grills - Watch Video

The stand is actually unnecessary for most cooking. Unit becomes hot, but not hot. I lay out some foil on a wooden table if that is available. I keep the charcoal away from sides (per instructions).

After cooking, close vents, fire goes out, charcoal can be re-used many times. No flare ups, ever. Can double-stack grilles inside to cook for an army. Unbelievably good heat retention, so amount of fuel and use is low.

With a fair amount of charcoal remaining inside probably weighs 30+ lbs without stand.

Glad to have bookmarked the COBB and VOLCANO. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	837.2 KB
ID:	108565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	108566  

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:55 AM   #297
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
I ended up buying a Coleman All-in-One Cooking system at REI. Cost was $99 and it comes with a stove grate, grill grate and griddle. After a lot of trial and error I found a way to get it to fit in the 8 gal. Action Packer. It only fits one way but the lid does close completely. Now to see how well it cooks! I'll post my test results here. If it works reasonably well, I'll put some foam gasket material around the lip of the Action Packer lid so the odors are locked inside. I also want to set it up to use propane from the Interstate tank so I don't have to mess with the 16.4 oz. bottles.

Another version of this cooker is available at Sam's Club and Camping World for $150 and this version includes a stock pot.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions here. I'm sure some of the more elaborate grills like the Coleman RoadTrip cook better than this one but I just didn't want to devote that much of the limited space in the Interstate.
Wayne
Wayne, glad you was able to find what you wanted, I dont think you will be disappointed with the coleman. First time I have ever heard someone refer to the roadtrip as elaborate, thanks for the giggle. I purchased mine because of the low maintainance and easy clean up as well as the ability to use at the camper and in tailgating.
I totally agree with you on getting away from those 16.5 bottles, they are a pain and hard to get rid of. If you have something like a farm store up there or maybe a lowes or home depot they have a hose and connector that can go on any gas grill tank or the camper bottle tanks and then connects to the grill which is what I did with mine. I do stongly suggest that you get the 15 footer to give you room to move the grill away from the camper and place it just about anywhere you want.
If you dont have a place to get one let me or someone know that can get one and send it too ya.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:30 AM   #298
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
keep it simple guys

Walmart, under $15. bucks! It has legs that fold and no frills. Does the job well, can use the little propane cans or we now have a much larger (1/2 reg. size) that last a long time (we grill daily), get can refilled as needed, which is very seldom.
Used the first one for several years, now have a new one, fits in the outside compartment fine. Large enough to grill several meats & veg's or whatever. We put everything on the grill inc. fresh corn which we grill in the husk after soaking in water. MMM good!
That's all this little grill does, grill.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #299
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Kmtyme, Can you tell us something about this $15 wonder? Manufacturer? Model or product name? Or post a picture?
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #300
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Coleman All-in-One

Well, I cooked 3 med size burgers on this little Coleman cooker from REI and it worked just fine. Now this is not going to do what the bigger units some have suggested will do but I think this will work fine for us and it meets our space constraints. I had the local Suburban Propane store make up an adapter with a 10' hose ($20) to add to the 4' hose that came with the Coleman so now I can draw propane from the big tank on the Interstate. I'm a happy guy so far We'll see how I feel about it after a few days on the road.
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!