Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I like using mine while traveling just like a rear view mirror. The is some comfort in knowing vs. not knowing what is behind me and when they are going to pull out to pass.
It also helps to back into a spot, but there is no substitute for getting out to look or getting your wife to spot you. It is just a little added security that makes backing into a spot a one-shot deal- no more pulling up, backing up, pulling up, backing up...

+1, I agree on all points. It's become a truly valuable tool.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
What is the advantage of a front bedroom? It seems that having the bedroom in the back gives more privacy. Wolf146
The view.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1717879086.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	225571
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #103
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Things I like to see on New Airstreams

Must. resist. hijack. There are *plenty* of threads on FB vs. RB. As much as I love to chat about that topic and would enjoy the hijack, this isn't the right thread. (Though that is a nice picture!)

We love our rear-view camera, would never willingly tow without it. I guess we're spoiled now. I'd love to see AS offer this as an option vs. only getting it from the dealer.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Good enough reason for Airstream to consider this concept ie Front Bedroom Wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #105
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
FB are available now.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
From the owner of a 2012 Classic perspective:

Quality Control - Ours had an electrical outlet missing (Main outlet beside dinette). Cable didn't work (wire too short to properly connect to outside connector).
4 stage converter with AGM batteries.
Sliding doors that are mounted more securely so traveling on interstate highways doesn't pull the minimal mounts loose.
LED lighting throughout the interior.
Thorough caulking around shower enclosures.
Better mounting for shower hardware so it doesn't become dislodged during travel on interstate highways.
List of available options for each model.
Up to date web information on new products.
Up to date owner's manual as has already been mentioned.
More accessible water connections (Higher on trailer instead of bottom).
Better and more consistent insulation.
Wire ways or troughs for adding wiring.
Service manuals available for each model.
We've owned 2008 22' Safari Sport, 2010 25'FC and now 2012 Classic. The only consistent issue with the three has been leaky shower enclosure. Dealers do poorly on repair of these and on all three I have removed the framing, cleaned thoroughly and caulked properly with no issues.

If aluminum hydroformed or other type of frame was part of the product it would be a plus but not a significant item.
No rot flooring would be nice as long as strength was comparable to plywood.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
The main things I would like to see with new Airstreams is a higher price along with higher quality. By raising the price they could maintain a decent profit margin and be able to raise the level of quality along with adding some of the features many of us want to see. A bit more money up front would be easier to take then the disappointment of poor quality after purchase.

A few simple almost no cost changes would help substantially with the quality. First, keep the unit clean while being assembled. Many have reported on construction debris with new units. My wife and I thought someone ran into our trailer in the middle of the night with a hell of a big bang. It was piece of trash that was left in the furnace compartment that got sucked into the blower and shredded the fan. Just another wasted day driving to and from the out-of-town dealer to repair. Just staying on top of keeping things cleaned up during assembly would sure help.

Next, teach new employees along with existing ones how to tighten fasteners with out striping threads. Seriously, a little training in this department would sure help. Too many stripped out fasteners throughout my trailer and I know many others have voiced the same situation with theirs.

Other features I'd like to see:
1) Rot proof flooring since unfortunately Airstreams do leak.
2) A way to hang the outside shower higher as others have mentioned.
3) Back up camera option or cabling in place for easy installation after purchase.
4) Better converter that won't trash the batteries
5) Better inverter setup with the same outlets running off of regular power or inverter
6) Larger water tanks since many of us boon dock
7) A return to a bit more of the styling from the older CCD interiors ( a bit more color and simple). I love our International Signature but prefer the older units.
8) Offer a 30' model that is similar to the 28 floor plan. The current 30's have the dinette and windows on the wrong side. It makes more sense to have it on the side with the door and awning. Works better for most campgrounds and also if boon docking makes more sense to position the trailer for the best view from both the windows and the patio awning if possible.

Things that have been mentioned that I'd rather NOT see on my next trailer:
1) Generator compartment
2) Built in vac
3) Integrate hitch (love my Propride but I feel this should be selected by the owner for their needs and tow vehicles)

I'm thrilled that Airstream is monitoring this thread and hope many of the suggestions are taken seriously.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Providence , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Beer Taps.

That is a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
BorninRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
A random idea that may or may not be good

At the barber shop they have a shop vac wired in a cabinet in such a way that they sweep hair up to the bottom of the cabinet where there is an opening - they step on a small pedal and the vacuum sucks up the hair

You could make a similar setup for AS maybe -

I store my small 2.5 gallon shop vac under the main bed in front - perhaps it could be simply a small duct built for that door below the bed and wire in a button to touch with you foot - then you could perhaps lift the bed and detach the vaccuum for portable use

I know this sounds kinda crazy I guess - I've been thinking about something like this for a few months - it may be silly - but often I just want to seep up a bit if dust and dirt very quickly

We have this feature in our custom Airstream. It's called a vac-pan, and it's one of our favorite features. It's under the kitchen sink in the pasteboard. You sweep and touch the vac-pan with your tow and it sucks in your sweepings. There is also a port between two sets of bunks where you can plug in the hose and other attachments, but either way everything goes into the same whole-house vac, remotely mounted under one set of bunks in a storage compartment. It's nifty and very quiet since the machinery is in that compartment. That and the dishwasher are tied for my favorite custom features in ours.we have lots of cool mods in our Custom bunkhouse, including some that are available on newer Airstreams-- but the dishwasher and built-in vacuum system (especially the vac-pan) are thrones which seem to get the most attention. They keep our airstream so clean, too, despite the twenty human feet and four canine feet she handles all day long. (ten people and one dog.) Pharmgeek,, be sure to come see this latest bunkhouse at Canopener-- you can try out the vac-pan. I think Airstream should definitely add this feature!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Skateiro - I'm there!! That's exactly what I will do as well

Also - we had aluminum shavings do the same thing to our furnace blower fan - all the sudden a terrible noise - I had atwood send me a new one and I replaced myself - I agree - this should be avoided

Also have noticed the over tightened screws on overhead storage - multiple were tightened to strip - I added wood glue

Make darn sure drawers have latches that keep drawers in place in tow - we replaced most with brass aftermarket ones and they never let go - our neighbors with same AS had same problem with drawers -

Hope these things help improve quality

We love our as though - but it could stand to be better - thanks for listening

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
I'd like to see:
1) Rot-proof flooring options
2) Four season options
3) Upgraded electrical (converters, inverters, solar, batteries, etc.)
ukulele2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #112
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
25 foot all electric model. Stove, no oven, no microwave, no furnace, I use portable heaters now, no air, I can use a portable one, electric only fridge, I supplement this with an ice chest, electric only water heater if wanted, I don't use one now, toilet with sink only, no shower, plenty of solar power and batteries, whatever is needed, generator in place of one gas tank and an ice chest in place of the other, large enough fresh water tank and black and gray tanks for boondocking. Just random thoughts, I only use lp now for the stove, so this isn't too far off from what I have now. Portable heaters and AC don't need thirty amp. What does everyone else think? Not afraid of LP, just don't see the need for it tha way we camp.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #113
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
I had to move our livestock trailer around today and noticed a feature that it has which I would like repeated on the AS. It has yellow leds facing forward that light up when the rear facing red travel lights are active. Thus I know that the rear light are on, the turn signals work as well as the break lights.

Just as an aside, the livestock trailer is also all aluminum and does not corrode (very nice). It came with 16" Michelin LT tires which I have not noticed to be any better or worst than the 15 GYM but then the travel conditions are significantly different so there is no one-to-one comparison.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
25 foot all electric model. Stove, no oven, no microwave, no furnace, I use portable heaters now, no air, I can use a portable one, electric only fridge, I supplement this with an ice chest, electric only water heater if wanted, I don't use one now, toilet with sink only, no shower, plenty of solar power and batteries, whatever is needed, generator in place of one gas tank and an ice chest in place of the other, large enough fresh water tank and black and gray tanks for boondocking. Just random thoughts, I only use lp now for the stove, so this isn't too far off from what I have now. Portable heaters and AC don't need thirty amp. What does everyone else think? Not afraid of LP, just don't see the need for it tha way we camp.

I'm doubting that will get a lot if traction? See threads for example on the subject of keeping fridge on during travel.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #115
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
So, THREE of us on here had the rivet tail in the furnace issue. (PharmGeek and I have already had some PM's on this when he had the same issue). My 28' 2012 Intl CCD did this trick right after I was out of warranty. Completely and totally avoidable, just cleaning out the trash would have kept all three of us out of this same issue. So, if 3 of us on AirForum had the issue, makes you wonder how many others who aren't on here had the same issue. Oh, and the "shower door that hangs from a single screw" -- which breaks and the door drops and you can't open the door -- and the plastic sweep that tears is another example of common problems that don't seem to get attention. Cost to fix these problems? Rivet in the furnace fun = zero. Redesign of shower door = better specs to the supplier would probably cost nothing.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My fridge does not work on gas, we live with it. We find it not a problem at all. Some of us still look at AS as campers and not homes on wheels.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
My fridge does not work on gas, we live with it. We find it not a problem at all. Some of us still look at AS as campers and not homes on wheels.

Odd to me that you say that in support of an electric only camper. Propane lets us dry camp, no hookups. And, yes, we do that from time to time, as well as use it at home when the power is out. If Airstream got rid of propane systems in their trailers, I'd never buy a new one.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Great to know someone from AS is watching.

Here is another thought regarding the black tank flushing valve. The fresh water inlet in just below the flushing valve inlet. When connecting and disconnecting a water to the black tank flushing valve at a dump station, it's almost impossible to prevent non-potable water from dripping onto the fresh water inlet. Not a good idea from a contamination standpoint. Either put them side by side or the fresh water inlet above the flushing valve hose connection.
I echo this idea. I always cringe while watching water going into the black tank flush drip directly onto the city connection. Please put the city water connection above the black flush.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
To each his own - I wants my propane and my fancy pantsy house on wheels non camper

Also another fun option to offer is the zip dee tropic room.

I don't know the best answer but perhaps rethink blinds for bunkhouse models - the new shades look fragile as well - we like out blinds but they have taken a beating by kids

Ducted heat and AC ...oh never mind

I think solar y'all need to offer some competitive robust options - all too often it's said that for the same cost other businesses can deliver much more - it would be convenient if you all could offer solar that is competitive as such

And finally - make an effort to tell customers how to monitor for leaks using a moisture meter - this should be a standard of monitoring and maintenance - I asked AS how they tell people to monitor for leaks and was told that annual inspection of seams is all that is officially advised - but this will not detect moisture that gets in under the flooring from a leak you miss from a compartment door - the roof somewhere etc - make the manuals and tell all dealers to tell people how to monitor for moisture in addition to what is already said

Thanks for listening folks

Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #120
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Seriously leaks? At this price point there should be no leaks! There have been 80 years pass.....
Their reputation is in the shell as it is proprietary to AS alone. Come on, if we can fix leaks at home in our driveways as we replace our rotten floors, they can be engineered gone at the factory where the problem should have never happened in the first place!
Just saying!

$100000+ for a 2015..... Never again!
Nutso, what changed? Nothing just updated trim, ducted AC is not an improvement, it's competition with units 1/20th the cost! Old news!
Give us efficient fridges that get and stay cold in the heat or a slight angle,
Lightweight composite flooring, urathane insulation, the ability to run some wiring in the future, less plastic, galvanized chassis, improved ergonomics in regards to inlets, outlets, switch placement, modern glass and heat reflecting films.
How about a new a frame that can house a real genset?
Security system? Wet shoe storage that drains outside? A drawer that is actually a dog bowl? Real axles/ suspension that last?

Just saying!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote