Old 11-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I believe its better for this thread to stay on the subject of "things" we all would want on airstreams...better this item, that other mod, this better frame, this improved insulation...etc and so on...
Since the what and the how are interrelated, it makes sense to me to have both but I can see the value in one thread on the "what" (the things/features) and another on the "how" (QC, training, culture, Six Sigma/process, etc.).

Maybe the mods would be willing to pull the "how" related discussion out to a new thread on "Quality Approach We'd Like To See For Airstreams"?

And I still want internal bike racks :-)

Old 11-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #198
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I agree with dimmer overhead lights in the bedroom. I'm speaking of the small movable lights just over the pillows, under the overhead cabinet. I've been looking for some LED's to replace the 9-LED lights to something less bright to my spouse can sleep and just bright enough to read a book. The existing LED lights up pretty bright. I'm considering cutting a round disk the size of the glass cover out of some dark plastic (placed between LED and glass cover) to dim the light output.
Before they changed over to LED, those lights had small halogen bulbs with dimmer switches. I know it must require some sort of better technology to make dimmable LED lights, because I notice when they sell "dimmable LED replacement bulbs" they make a big deal about it.

Ken

Old 11-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODSCS View Post
I'd like to see some kind of interior light dimmer for bedroom reading lights and dining area lighting.

My trailer has dimmers on the bedroom "wall sconces" and the dining room "chandelier".
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #200
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
Utilize crimp-and-shrink solder connectors on exterior circuits. Existing product is exposed and failure-prone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1415317103.827721.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	569.9 KB
ID:	225901

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1415317122.317306.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	710.4 KB
ID:	225902
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #201
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Pardon the errant thoughts, but...

I remember back in the sixties when there was a “delete” list available on new vehicles. Radio delete, passenger seat delete, mirror delete, heater delete, they'd even take truck or car to a tire shop, “delete” tire price and install your choice at your cost.

So, in reviewing the posts to this thread, after the frame, floor, appliances, wiring harness, converter, inverter, wheels, tires, brakes, toilet, shower, counter-tops, among other listed inadequacies and disappointments... If you delete all the complaints, there's not much left but a title. I agree that Airstream could and should do a better job. To me, it's more an issue of ethics than “different levels of skill”.

I do find that the OP is confusing if it was indeed to point out the self-absorption, self-centeredness, decadence, indulgence, of celebrity and their supporting television shows, and how it may be related to what New AS should include?? There is some clarification of intention in the OP's re-post number #40, It was kind of a tongue in cheek comment about how I fell about network TV, especially celebrity worship shows. Most of you seemed to miss that or chose to ignore it” and a go-ahead as interpreted. I get it.

So, In attempting not to deviate from the OP, a suggestion that may be closer to the vein (or “vane” if you please) of the original post, and certainly “ Back on Track”...

Things I'd like to see on a new AS” is a Pamela Anderson stripper pole. Especially in an EB, you don't hassle with poor d-rings in the floor, just lash your bike or kayak to the pole. Dual Function. Open the rear hatch and put on a dance show. Those dollars can add up and pay for your trailer. Maybe a stipend from Thor?

Like many, despite its ethical, design, and fabrication issues, I still love my trailer...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1aPamspole.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	225905   Click image for larger version

Name:	2aisstream.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	225906  

Old 11-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminuminum View Post
pardon the errant thoughts, but...
well this was constructive!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #203
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
2 other "things" ideas.

1) convert all the documentation to PDFs and instead of "the briefcase", put it on a tablet and include some camping apps like AllStays, Gas Buddy, the Army COE directory, emergency tips, etc.

2) for units with outdoor showers, a portable privacy curtain/round enclosure that can fold down and fit in that PVC tube that's too small for the slinky :-)
Old 11-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
2 other "things" ideas.

1) convert all the documentation to PDFs and instead of "the briefcase", put it on a tablet and include some camping apps like AllStays, Gas Buddy, the Army COE directory, emergency tips, etc.

2) for units with outdoor showers, a portable privacy curtain/round enclosure that can fold down and fit in that PVC tube that's too small for the slinky :-)
Re Item 1: I have pretty much done that for myself by downloading it. It took a lot of searching in some cases, but most all is available on various manufacturers' web sites. I do still have the hardcopies in the trailer however.

Re Item 2: I've never used a trailer's outdoor shower except to wash off my feet. Showering on the side of the trailer would remind of the sidewalk urinals in Paris. There are some things I do not want to make eye contact with others while doing.

Ken
Old 11-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #205
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Re Item 1: I have pretty much done that for myself by downloading it. It took a lot of searching in some cases, but most all is available on various manufacturers' web site. I do still have the hardcopies in the trailer however.

Ken

same. I keep all manuals for the Airstream and my Jeep in the library section of my iPad. I have found it really effective. Need to fiddle with the thermostat, ping, there's the manual. Want to try and turn on the radio, ping, there's the manual. (Bad example, still can't figure out how to make the thing work) It's a lot easier than digging through the plastic case that's kept under the bed, and under the shoes and other stuff that ends up there. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #206

Here is something I would really like to see. I don't believe it has been mentioned:

Aircraft or marine style access panels to allow Access to all the strategic wiring and plumbing junctions that are now hidden so well. This should include generous size panels in the belly pan.

Ken
Old 11-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #207
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I've been reflecting on some my own comments, and one thing I haven't taken into account is even though an Airstream costs more than an auto, the manufacturing realities are quite different. The big auto makers are churning out a huge number of autos compared to the output of Airstream, which according to Wikipedia is about 2000 a year. (That's still 38 a week, which is pretty amazing. That's a mix of TT and MH).

It's still pretty much a niche product. They are doing fantastic with the designs of the interiors for younger generations of owners. They maybe lag on the things the Internet generation wants. I don't need blu-ray, I have an AppleTV and Netflix. I don't need cable, cable will eventually be obsolete. I don't need radio. I only want to listen to KEXP, and I can stream them online. My only need is connectivity, inside and out, and big amp hours and massive solar wattage to recharge.

But they do have to cater to different generations. What a current retiree wants is often very different than what a guy that is a decade away from retirement wants, or what a forty something wants, or thirty something, wants. Or I should say needs. There are very different use cases between the weekender and the full timer.

But at the end of the day, I have no choice other than to buy an Airstream. Everything else makes me feel like I'm dragging around my grandmothers house. This may sound snobbish, but the people fawning over those gigantic fifth wheels my wife and I saw at the RV show, are not really interesting to me. The only place a I struck up a conversation with was another couple checking out an Airstream.

Perhaps Thor isn't the best parent for Airstream. If Airstream was still family-owned, I think the quality might be different.

Edouard Michelin, grandson of one of the founders of Michelin, and former CEO once said "Product quality is corporate pride." I am proud to have contributed to his vision.

Maybe a big sign in the factory, and in the CEO's office, should say "You're not building a product, you're building an heirloom."
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #208
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Chicago , Illinois
1. Have a "Full-Timers" model which may include less gaucho size and more kitchen counter and wardrobe space.

2. Hire David Winick again who is a master at space utilization and interior design. IMHO
Old 11-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #209
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Good Post "Tomy" - Interesting prospective and well worded!
I do agree that Thor is not the best parent for Airstream. Thor is a high volume manufacture who is most interested in units out the door. That mind-set might not be a good match for a legacy product like airstream.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #210
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
[QUOTE=ALUMINUMINUM;1536309]Pardon the errant thoughts, but...

I do find that the OP is confusing if it was indeed to point out the self-absorption, self-centeredness, decadence, indulgence, of celebrity and their supporting television shows, and how it may be related to what New AS should include?? There is some clarification of intention in the OP's re-post number #40, It was kind of a tongue in cheek comment about how I fell about network TV, especially celebrity worship shows. Most of you seemed to miss that or chose to ignore it” and a go-ahead as interpreted. I get it.

AS the Original Poster, my intent was as stated "Things I like to see on new Airstreams." After watching what came out of the poop tank with my new clear view adapter and then the gray tank, it became clear (no pun intended) that a flush connection for the gray tank would be a good idea. I injected my sense of humor regarding the poop tank, television, and celebrity worship. Those that know me wouldn't expect anything less.

None the less, there are many great ideas I've read on this forum regarding fixes, additions, and improvements. Many could be done at the factory at little or a reasonable cost. So I started this thread. I never expected to get such a response. Nor did I expect some one from Airstream to read and even respond with a positive encouraging comment.

That being said, the thread seems to developed "mission creep" going off topic and even getting a little personal. PLEASE do not let this topic become a rant and rave session. We have or had someone in a position at AS to take good ideas and valid issues back to the mothership.

There have been great suggestions submitted to this post. There are a few which really strike a nerve with the posters on this thread. I hope the AS representative picks up on them. I like many of them. Some are easy, some are necessary, some are reasonable from a cost and production aspect. Some are while may be good ideas or nice to have, are prohibitive from a cost, weight, production, or engineering perspective.

So please try and keep this thread going in a positive direction. I gave "birth" to this thread and like any good parent, you want to try a raise it properly. If you want to rant, rave, or get personal, there are plenty of threads on this forum for you to latch onto. So hopefully, we can move forward and I love reading the great ideas that have been suggested here. In a future post here, I will try and summarize my favorites.

For any of you that may have been offended by anything I just said, remember, I meant is as a compliment.