Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Plain Awning/Patio Mat

Hi,

I am looking for a mat/rug for under our awning that is at least 9 feet wide and 12 feet long. Bigger would be fine. I would like it to not have a design (stripes/floral/horses/swirls, etc.) on it. The plainer the better, since I want to put a fairly busy 6'7"x9'6" polypropylene rug I have on top of it.

All I have found so far is an 8x20 one that looks like astro turf in gray. Aside from being expensive that one looks pretty bulky. I'm not opposed to putting 2 smaller ones side by side, but really am not finding much that doesn't have some sort of design on it.

The rug I want to place on it is blue/cream so I need something in a color that won't "fight" with the blue. I found a silver tarp that would be perfect but think a tarp might be a bad idea. Could be a big water/dirt trap.

I know we have some decorators/glampers among us. Any ideas??

Thanks for your help!
Sue
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Try to find something that doesn't kill grass!

Lynn
Old 03-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Costco has some cool mats we use and you could sew them together. What do you need one over another? One layer should be enough? The ones from Costco are very soft and lightweight, made from recycled pop bottles. Here's a pic of one. We use two when we have the dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1127453457.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	152632  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Plain Awning/Patio Mat

I was at Costco last week and they had 6'x9' mats for about $40. They had green astroturf and a great AS blue, along with some multi-colors. Good quality and a great price.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Looks like it could work!

I could sew two (or more) of them together! I have a Singer 99 that can even sew through belting leather, so unless the mat is really thick it could handle it. Did you get it recently? We have a Costco nearby and I can check there. The color is perfect!

I know I don't "need" one mat over the other, but the rug I have is blue and cream, so I'm trying to avoid having to really clean it after every use. It's made more for a patio or deck situation--not sure how well it will do laying directly on dirt. It would be fine on grass, sand or paving. Also, I am trying to get the look of sort of a seating area within a larger area.

Could you tell me how big your mats are? May I ask how much they cost?

I think you may have solved my problem!!!

Thank you!
Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Costco has some cool mats we use and you could sew them together. What do you need one over another? One layer should be enough? The ones from Costco are very soft and lightweight, made from recycled pop bottles. Here's a pic of one. We use two when we have the dogs.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #6

Olathe , Kansas
Our rug is 6x9 and they are @ $20 each. It would easy to sew through. The dry really fast! We love them.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Thank you!

Two 6x9 sewn together could be a 9x12--or a 6x18

I see a trip to Costco in my future!!

Thank you!
Sue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bganso View Post
I was at Costco last week and they had 6'x9' mats for about $40. They had green astroturf and a great AS blue, along with some multi-colors. Good quality and a great price.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Even better!

Quote:
Our rug is 6x9 and they are @ $20 each. It would easy to sew through. The dry really fast! We love them.
9x18 for $60!! (Delaware is even a Tax Free state!) That's a perfect price point!

Sue
Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Funny as a commercial guy I cannot plug myself in any way, but I can plug other commercial vendors.
So, with zero hesitation I recommend you contact Marti Domyanic. She makes very high quality awnings at such at an excellent price. She is my go to, send to awning person. I have recommened her hundreds of times and will continue to.
Most Camping Worlds and RV Centers have this catalog. If you knew someone with an account at their wholesaler, they just might be willing to pass their discount on to you.
My wife is a huge fan of Mad Mats. They are not plain or cheap. They also do not kill the grass unless you leave them down for weeks on end.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Mad Mats

Hi Frank,

If your wife likes the look of Mad Mats she will probably like the look I'm going for. Just a bit of "pop" under the awning.

Looking forward to meeting you both at Bash III. We have done some interior updates since you installed the Fantastic Vents. If you liked where we were going with the terrazzo IKEA floor, I think you'll like the rest.

Sue

BTW--you can't "plug" yourself--but I think I can. Honest work at an honest price--Franks Trailer Works!! Well worth the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Funny as a commercial guy I cannot plug myself in any way, but I can plug other commercial vendors.
So, with zero hesitation I recommend you contact Marti Domyanic. She makes very high quality awnings at such at an excellent price. She is my go to, send to awning person. I have recommened her hundreds of times and will continue to.
Most Camping Worlds and RV Centers have this catalog. If you knew someone with an account at their wholesaler, they just might be willing to pass their discount on to you.
My wife is a huge fan of Mad Mats. They are not plain or cheap. They also do not kill the grass unless you leave them down for weeks on end.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
We use the exact same rugs from Costco and they are great, so light-weight they can be folded and light enough to sew two together if you need to. We have one in gray, one in green and one in tan...love 'em...Water goes right through them and Brad's right, they dry very quickly...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Perfect! I knew you were out there!

OK--let's just say I spend a lot of time on the forums. More than I should. But two of the folks whose trailers I have most admired/envied for their decor have now checked in and recommended the same solution! Blmitch5 and TBRich !! I can only aspire to have a tiny bit of your design sense, particularly within the constraints of a 30+yo "big" trailer.

We no longer belong to Costco, but will be visiting soon. If they have the mats at our local store it will be worth the trip (and membership fee)!

A sincere Thank You to everyone who has responded. I would love to have you all over for "beverages" on our "verandah"!

Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We use the exact same rugs from Costco and they are great, so light-weight they can be folded and light enough to sew two together if you need to. We have one in gray, one in green and one in tan...love 'em...Water goes right through them and Brad's right, they dry very quickly...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #13

Olathe , Kansas
Ahh! Aren't you sweet! TBRich did our corner cushions! We love our little trailer and you will love the Costco rugs.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I got a gray outdoor carpet at home depot. Not very expensive, lightweight, hides dirt and such. I want to say it is 6 x 9. I have found the dark gray is more subtle... it may work out great for what you are looking to doĦ
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysue925 View Post
...<snip>.... But two of the folks whose trailers I have most admired/envied for their decor have now checked in and recommended the same solution! Blmitch5 and TBRich !! I can only aspire to have a tiny bit of your design sense, particularly within the constraints of a 30+yo "big" trailer....<snip>...

Sue
Aww, that was nice, Sue...we'd love to take you up on a visit to your "veranda" sometime!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
We purchased an Ulti Mat from Zip Dee and have been very pleased. Looks like it will last a lifetime! They come in a variety of sizes.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
We use the Costco rugs/mats - easy to clean, does not rot (leave it in the rain), tough - and feels nice and soft on bare feet. Perfect for the task.
In high winds, we leave something on it so it doesn't blow away. We have two now - they are that handy. I use one in the driveway when working on the Tin Pickle as well - kneeling in shorts much more comfortable w/ knees on rug rather than aggregate.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #18

1972 27' Overlander
The Colony , Texas
My mat didnt even make it though one trip last year. I found some automotive mats at Big Lots I am going to try. They are thick rubberish sqaures that fit together like a puzzle.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
They look durable and easy to store. I hope I can just hose them down after each trip. You can make the area as large as you want.
I attached a picture but never done this before so not sure if its going to work
Attached Images

sbooth88 is offline   Reply With Quote