Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
More on winter camping

I've put together a new video on winter camping that you might be interested in. I took a 4-day trip in Minnesota and had plenty of snow and sub-zero temps. The AS performed admirably and I had a good time.
https://youtu.be/uIh65rBfgkU
Thanks for watching, I hope you enjoy it.
Wesair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Thanks. We are packing today and your video reminded me to pack the snow shove

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Thank you for the video.... nicely done.

I would like to do some winter camping with our Avion. Would probably have to talk my wife into it, but I bet I could convince her..... she knows I'll take care of her!

We normally don't get the regular snowfall here in NW Arkansas that you saw on your outing, but it can certainly get frigid if it wants to.

Thank you for feeding my desire to go camping!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I drove up to moraine campground in Rocky Mountain National Park yesterday around noon with the 25' airstream in tow to camp overnight with my daughter.

Roads up 36 and into the park were dry and clear. Temperature was around 50 degrees F. Unfortunately the entrance of the campground (when you arrive at gatehouse) and all downstream campground roads (hilly) were an absolute skating rink (complete ice surface, no salt, no sand, hard compacted clear ice). The rig was definitely interesting to maneuver forward / back given uneven surfaces and lateral sliding Between the shade in the campground and the fact that the park service doesn't maintain the campground roads we had to carefully turn around the 45', 13,000 lb caravan on narrow iced campground roads without sliding off the road into the trees and head back down to the front range as there were no other camping options available up in the Estes area. Bummer! Always an adventure this time of year in Colorado

We did find a spot at a state park off I25 (with electric no less!) and still had a good old time with a campfire, etc... temperature outside was 19 degrees last night. Furnace keep us nice and warm at 65+ in the trailer...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1483202048.012973.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	277448
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I looked at our weather, next week we will be having - 10 at night, I think I will stay warm and at home.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
The Woodlands , Texas
I enjoyed the video. It looks very peaceful there. Happened to notice the trailering mirrors on your truck. If you'd recommend them, could you provide the model and manufacturer name?

Thanks
Bob
eberrobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Loved the video. We love winter camping for many of the reasons you cite, solitude probably foremost. It also makes you feel a little more alive because you really have to pay attention to what's going on. Unless you freeze to death.

Well done video. Thanks for the support. Our neighbors look at us a little crazy when we're packing up in January to head north for snow. (and for many other reasons) Nice to know that there are kindred spirits out there.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
I just LOVED the video. Thanks for allowing us to come along your adventure for a moment!
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by eberrobw View Post
I enjoyed the video. It looks very peaceful there. Happened to notice the trailering mirrors on your truck. If you'd recommend them, could you provide the model and manufacturer name?

Thanks

Bob

Bob, the mirrors are by Milenco. I have been using them for four years and they work well. Their web site is accurate. Jim
Old 12-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Just a reminder for everyone to be safe with space heaters. The article does not state what started the fire but Temps would have been around freezing when this fire occurred.

http://www.al.com/news/anniston-gads...art_river_home
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Bob, the mirrors are by Milenco. I have been using them for four years and they work well. Their web site is accurate. Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1483219541.414731.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	277464

I mount them on the underside of the mirror. My son mounts them on top. Jim
Old 12-31-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesair View Post
I've put together a new video on winter camping that you might be interested in. I took a 4-day trip in Minnesota and had plenty of snow and sub-zero temps. The AS performed admirably and I had a good time.
Thanks for sharing the video. One thing I may have missed is whether or not your unit was winterized. If it was how Did you handle the necessities, and if not what kept those tight spots from freezing.
Thanks again
John Millner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Wink Condensation

I enjoyed your video of your stay in Flandreau Park, MN. One thing that others have said about Airstreaming in the winter is that there is inevitable condensation. Was that a problem for you?

I also wonder about the adequacy of your heating arrangement. You used an electric space heater and the LP fired heater? How did it handle 9 degrees?

Otherwise, it looked like fun. I've tented with kids from a childrens' home on Halloween weekend years ago. It snowed and it was cold, but we adapted and had a great time.
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:40 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Thank You

Quote:
I'm one of your subscribers and watched it when you posted it on YouTube. You covered a lot of bases for me and answered questions about winter camping in the AS. I am planning a hunting trip to Ohio next weekend and will be taking my 25' International to camp in. A real plus for me is heated shower/rest rooms at the State Park I'm staying at! Thanks again for posting this. Happy New Year

RGJZ06
RGJZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Y
Ou have my utmost respect and admiration. So glad someone can do what you do and is willing to help others. Me? I've gotten totally dewinterized here in Fl. 32 degrees is about all I can take. Good luck.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
Thanks everyone for watching and subscribing to YouTube. It is good incentive to do more things. Re: questions.
1. Yes the mirrors are Milenco and I really like them. Very adjustable, durable, and good visibility. They vibrate a bit but are easy to take off when not needed.
2. Condensation: I had heavy frost on the inside of windows under the reflectix but nothing on the walls. I didn't use the cook top or a propane heater so I think that helps.
3. Winterization: Yes it was totally winterized so I didn't use the plumbing at all. I did take several jugs of water for drinking and cleaning. As for my plumbing I either stepped outside (there's no one around) or I used the pit toilet. Even at subzero temps my rear didn't freeze to the seat! I did cheat once and went into town and took a shower at the local fitness center.
4. Heat was no problem. The supplemental electric heater isn't hot enough to burn anything and has a good shut-off switch if tipped over. With the AS's furnace everything was as warm as I wanted it to be. With the subfloor venting I was surprised at how warm the floor was.
5. My spouse: No way, no how. She will wait till spring.
Thanks again
Camp on!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Thanks for the fine video. I sure did enjoy it.

I used to do some winter camping in West Virginia when I went skiing. I would take my camper to the campground in December and pick it up in April. During the week I would stay in the Airstream when I went skiing at Snowshoe. I really enjoyed the challenge. In all fairness I had it pretty easy as I had power and a heated bathroom and shower to use. It took a long time to heat the Airstream up, so I had an electric blanket and a hot oil type heater to help out. My son bought a condo so now I stay there when I go skiing. I do miss the winter camping though.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Red face Heaters

Quote:
Thanks everyone for watching and subscribing to YouTube. It is good incentive to do more things. Re: questions.
2. Condensation: I had heavy frost on the inside of windows under the reflectix but nothing on the walls. I didn't use the cook top or a propane heater so I think that helps.
4. Heat was no problem. The supplemental electric heater isn't hot enough to burn anything and has a good shut-off switch if tipped over. With the AS's furnace everything was as warm as I wanted it to be. With the subfloor venting I was surprised at how warm the floor was.
I don't quite understand, you did not use a propane heater, but you did use the AS's furnace. The AS's furnace is run on propane. So, do you mean that you did not use an auxiliary propane heater?
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I think he means a propane heater as opposed to the propane furnace.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
Clarity rules.
I did use the AS's propane furnace.
I did use an auxiliary electric space heater.
I did not use an auxiliary propane heat like a Little Buddy.