Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Rolla , Missouri
I retire in two years, I purchased a 1982 31' AS during the winter 2015, privpces seem to be better during off purchase season, I did so before retirement so I wouldn't have any outgoing payments. I full time so no storing requirements, this allows me to adjust my life prior to retirement. Didn't take long, I still need to downsize further, I am finding I don't need half what I have now.
2000 F250 7.3L PSD
Home-N-Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #42
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We inherited a B+ 27ft motor home in 2012 and discovered that we loved RV camping but really disliked the floor plan and did not want to haul a toad. So, we sold that one on consignment and then bought our 2014 International Signature 27FB in 2013. All well before retirement.

We live in a neighborhood with an HOA, so we have to use paid storage, and we choose to use covered paid storage with electric. That's quite an expense where we live, but it was the right thing to do. We camped on weekends whenever we could, and our vacations were absorbed with going interesting places with our camper.

We unexpectedly found ourselves with a lot more free time on our hands in 2015, due to both of us leaving / losing our jobs, so we camped and adventured a lot that year until one of us went back to work. In the late fall. From then on, we were very busy indeed and did not camp enough to satisfy us. As of roughly a month ago, however, we suddenly realized we could retire. So we did, and he we are on another epic cross-country camping journey. Yay!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #43

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I had a couple schools of thought. First I lost a parent early in life and I remember his plans to buy a boat once he got close to retirement. Lots of fishing trips and fun. For him that never happened and I got a strong sense of the fact that I would never know how long I would be on this earth, and I didn't want my relatives talking about me echoing regrets that I never did x.

I also realized that purchasing would be easier while I had significant income from a job, and those Airstreams aren't getting any cheaper. So 18 years ago I bought my first Airstream and upgraded to my forever trailer 3 years later.

Now almost 4 years into retirement I can tell you that I would not have been able to afford the trailer I have today if I had waited till retirement. In addition my wife's health issues have severely restricted our travel and I am thankful we had time to do those longer trips prior to her issues.

So the advice is if you can fit it into your budget, consider now. First you will save the costs of inflation and secondly you never know what life will toss your way. If I'd go tomorrow, nobody will be talking about Jack never being able to live out his dream.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #44
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
I would buy a gently used 27 or 28 and get in some camping now! If you want in national parks that is the max length you're likely to squeeze in. Just my two cents.
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
We were in the same place about 5-6 years from retirement. I was thinking about putting more money into retirement and saving for the purchase. But instead decided to get ours early and purchased a 2018 Classic. We have set it up on a seasonal site and are planning on using it as a vacation home (we haven't purchased a tow vehicle). It is allowing us a chance to break ourselves and the AS in while enjoying it now and not waiting for retirement. Who knows what may happen between now and then! We are living our dream now. And the extra expenses I am incurring are investments in my eventual retirement home. Our financial planner had started us thinking in this direction. He had asked about where we would be living and said many people buy a second home at this point where they want to retire. Ours just is going to be a traveling home.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Neither my wife nor I am retired.

Before our Airstream, we had a VW Camper. Weren't retired then, either, and we took the VW all over the place.

For us, it boils down to how much time we can take off work, and when.

If you can get the free time, you'll likely use your Airstream.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
don't wait.

We went through this process earlier this year. We bought a 34 Classic and plan to retire in 2 years. We are fortunate to have an acre and no HOA so parking at our home is no problem. Our thoughts were similar to many others who took the leap;

Get your AS and learn about it now in small bites and work out the bugs so when you are full timers you are free to enjoy your trailer.

Spend the money now and get it over with so you're not dipping into the retirement pot for a big ticket item.

Between now and then we wanted to travel within our own state(AZ) because there is just so much to see here.

We enjoy going to bluegrass festivals and wanted a comfy place to make music and feed the band.

And finally I have to tell you, seeing that silver beast out back every day makes me smile and keeps me optimistic about where we may be parking it in the coming years.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Gaithersburg , Maryland
Our situation: My wife and I are empty nesters and have another 15-20 years of working full time ahead of us. With 3 weeks paid leave, our time away is limited to long weekends and a 1 week outing per year. We purchased our 23fb last October, financing over 20 years, and deduct the interest as a second home. Three of our children are a 9 hour drive away, and we have made three trips to visit using our airstream as our base, mobile kennel, motel and kitchen. We have made 13 trips in less than a year to explore the northeast. We have stayed at some great state parks as launch pads to visit places like Falling Water, kentuck knob, shanksville 911 memorial, Floyd Va music scene, and the Rehobuth beach. If you can do it pre-retirement, and are open to 3 day weekends, I say go for it.
cstevecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I bought a 2005 19' Bambi Int'l when I was 59 and still working. I had bought a 2003 (new) Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with tow package 2 years before in preparation for the Bambi. I'd never RV'd before and took photos and videos of everything the dealer showed me in my orientation, especially the hooking and unhooking of the hitch as I had to drive back home 8 hours away and do it myself late at night. What a learning curve it was but a guy at the dealership took me under his wing and over the next 10 years, he got many a call from me at all hours of the day and night as I learned. God bless him. At that point, I was taking her on long weekend trips plus a couple of long trips to Idaho, Canada and Texas. In 2015 at age 63, I realized I wanted to keep doing it but wanted to be comfortable staying in one place for a couple of weeks/a month/a couple of months at a time, and therefore needed more room and amenities. Plus I wanted a twin layout as I have a grandson now. So I sold the Bambi in May 2015 and put the money away as a beginning nest egg for the bigger AS and tow vehicle. I just picked up my new F-150 this month and will be buying a 25' AS in December. In retrospect, I'm so glad I plunged in early with the first Bambi because owning it taught me most of what I need to know when RVing. I have also decided to go to rallies and join some caravans this time around - for the camaraderie, to make new friends, to learn more about the maintenance end of things. I didn't do rallies or caravans during my "Bambi years" - just too damn busy with work and travel, no energy for it. So, that's my "Airstream story". They are all so interesting, aren't they?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Oops, forgot to mention, I stored my Bambi at an RV storage lot in Virginia in a county where I didn't have to pay property taxes on her. It is likely where I will store my 25' AS because inside storage is so expensive and the Bambi really held up well outside (with routine maintenance and a trip to an AS dealership once a year). It's a 45 minute drive away but hey, that's how it is.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:18 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
We purchased an older 25' model to use now and plan to buy a newer one when we retire in a few years. I am really glad we did it this way. Our ideas of what we want in an RV have changed as we use it and work on it. We never buy new, but we are glad other people do.

Either way you go, Good Luck!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
For us, it was almost 20 years in the making. Bought our second home that had rv access on the property with the intention of someday getting an rv. At the time our first son was three years old. Our second son was born two years later.

Now five car payments later, a 4 year college tuition coming to an end and another coming up the pipeline including med school, a mortgage, 10-15 years to retirement, and my wife still a stay at home mom...

We bought our AS last year. All things considered in previously mentioned posts on this thread, we took the plunge. We have rv storage with full hookups on the side of our home. Tow vehicle is free and clear. Fortunate to put about 40% down on AS. Insurance and DMV costs aren't too outrageous. I'm pretty mechanically inclined to do most repairs, improvements and maintenance. We do live relatively close to an Airstream dealership. We're still young enough to tackle the physical requirements of towing and cozying up to all the nuances of trailering. Not retired yet for multi-week excursions, but we live in an area that has endless destinations for 4-day excursions with or without our sons. We could go out to Napa, the Sierras, a little golfing in Monterey...honey?[emoji8]

Yes, we're not debt free or empty nesters...yet. But this time in our place in life is offering an opportunity. Life is finite. So we took it. Most importantly for us, my wife and I can enjoy this new journey together. Think things out for your place in life, now and the future, yes? As one German autophile to another, I'm sure you'll agree!

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Hard to justify before retirement unless you have lots of vacation to use and maintain this hobby toy
We bought ours about a year prior to get it set up for us before the big trips beginning n st summer
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Even with just 3 weeks vacation we are able to go somewhere in the trailer 20-something times per year and spend 80-something nights per year in the trailer.
In 2 years I will have 4 weeks vacation.
I'm glad we got the Airstream 5 years ago (a travel trailer 7 years ago).
We have already enjoyed RV camping for 7 years and can enjoy RV camping for the next 14-19 years till I retire.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I had a patient tell me these words of wisdom: never put off traveling or seeing the world "until you retire." That day may NEVER come.

If you want an airstream now, get it. I understand not putting yourself into financial strains to get it, but if you have the means....DO. IT. You'll travel when you can. Then when you retire, if you're able, you can travel more. Bills and money issues happen all the time. Enjoy life. You only get one chance.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
Hi Flat 6, 2 years ago in 2015 I was 13 years away from retirement. Since I could no longer backpack (back issues due to an accident), I started looking at RVs...all kinds. I wasn't kidding myself. I know RV'ing is not camping but I also know I'll never be able to snow camp in a tent again in the Denali backcountry. I wanted a way to continue exploring, hiking, kayaking, meeting people from all walks of life, etc.

In Feb. 2015, I went to a RV show with a friend and looked at the Airstreams "for grins". After all, they are pricey and I was not going to spend that kind of money on a camper. I left the RV show with a 2015 19' International. I took it on long weekends and vacations whenever I could learning lots along the way. I now have my dream AS, a 2017 20' Flying Cloud. Perfect floor plan for me and the 2 dogs. By the time I retire, the AS will be long paid off (at least that's the plan) and I will have vast quantities of knowledge and experience (again, that the plan).

I second those who have stated the obvious: we don't know when it's time for our dirt nap. I say go for it.
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Belgrade , Montana
Thumbs up Thank you for posting this thread!

Flat 6 - Thank you for posting this thread! And thank you Forum members for all of your insightful replies.

I have been dealing with the same question - purchase Airstream now, or wait until retirement in another 2-4 years? For us, we have no TV nor a place to store the AS, which I thought was a double whammy. The TV situation can be easily remedied. Reading through this thread has made me aware that many of you keep your rigs in offsite storage, something I really hadn't considered.

My wife and I should really know better. In 1999 we bought a used 25' Excella rear twin specifically to go on a 3-month cross-country camping adventure. Along the way, we met several people who told us how smart we were to do what we were doing while we were still young (early 40's at the time). And on a couple of occasions someone would share that they had planned to do the same thing after they decided to retire, but their spouse had passed before they had a chance to live out their dream. So, the answer to the question of when to buy was really given to us 18 years ago and it took this thread to make me realize it.

Thanks again!

Bill
Miss Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat 6 View Post
Dear Airstreamer's,

So far I have been very impressed with the activity on this Forum. Lot's of great advise shared by a very friendly bunch. Kudos to all of you :-)

So my question: Is it possible to get an Airstream before I retire:
- Did you wait or get one before retirement?
- Where do you store it when not in use, home or off-site? I prefer to go big or go home, i.e. Classic or International 30ft.

My situation: Still 8-10 years to go before retirement, unless I am pushed ;-) Still enjoy traveling the world. Planned to get an AS when I retire, then will cover everywhere in the US. Not really been to many of the US parks (16 years in the US. From the UK originally). Problem is, I am really hooked on these Airstreams! I want one now!

Took a trip to an RV show. Went to an Airstream dealer. Very impressed. Prefer all creature comforts, so the wife and I really like the Classic 30. No issues with towing, had a boat, worked on farms a kid, wife and I can drive anything.

Very interested to hear your AS story.

Cheers
I know I was in the same situation... and my advise is to .. do it right now ...search the used market for a nice cheap good one... that way... you can use it on the weekends or hollidays... and get a nice idea of what you want/need/and can't do without... some have said that the 2 or 3 one that you own usually gets to be what your comfortable with... Buying a good used one... (not necess'rly a newer one) will keep its value... so you won't lose much money changing... kinda like a new car... thing... vs a Used car... in economics...

Now why do you want to do that...

Most of the newbies.. that we know of.. have a tendency to pack everything including the kitchen sink... and to advise them what they need to and do take... seems to be useless... so best to let them take EVERYTHING... and find out what the rest of us know... space is limited... no matter what RV your in... and the only way to get slim'ed down is to make a lot of little excursions out in the type of camping you like...

Too many people on the blog... come in asking what is the best.. and what should I get... which is a vague question... because each one has their own idea of how to camp... and until they get out their.. and get with others... they really don't find out how to camp... until they do... That is the best way to a quick education on what is and isn't useful...while camping...

Their is a lot to learn ... from towing to c a m p i n g... and so I suggest you get started now.. so that when you finally get retired... your a pro and know how to know...kinda thing

The only way to do that is to join a group... get a membership card... (Airstream or what ever) and go on a couple of meets, caravans, rall'ys...

We keep our 30 footer... which if the biggest one that we want to tow... in our yard too... sets over at the side of the house... and we made a place/pad/shelter....for it and have full hookups to it.... that way it can be used as a man cave... sleeping quarters.. (which when it raining... is soooo nice on the metal roof) and when we get back from a rally we can dump and recharge from our own home... not to mention a emergency shelter...if needed... So we found that is the way to go... nice to just walk out of the house.. and go over to the Airsteam... get a cold one... (as the AS is stocked and powered up when setting... as they say you can't wear out the refig..etc..) It's great to go out and sit under the awning... enjoy the idea of glamping somewhere in our mind...

then when you get set... and a seasoned Airstreamer... if you still want to get a new one... you KNOW what you want.. and all the pitfalls etc...

Even though your still working.. its a great way to get some relax'n and enjoy the socialism on the weekend/holl'day... etc...

Get going... tempest fuget...

G.M>
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #59
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat 6 View Post
Dear Airstreamer's,

So far I have been very impressed with the activity on this Forum. Lot's of great advise shared by a very friendly bunch. Kudos to all of you :-)

So my question: Is it possible to get an Airstream before I retire:
- Did you wait or get one before retirement?
- Where do you store it when not in use, home or off-site? I prefer to go big or go home, i.e. Classic or International 30ft.

Very interested to hear your AS story.

Cheers
Short answer ABSOLUTELY.

There is always one thing that stops anyone and everyone trying to do something, it is called "Money".

How you prioritize that will influence your decision.

I bought mine in my thirties knowing that this would be my poison of choice. I'm not into cars, jewelry and other toys.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I met a single lady in her 30's who decided to buy a 25' Airstream and live in it full time.
She travels for her job as a speech pathologist.
She may stay 2-3 months or 6 months on a job assignment.
She chooses her destination and RV park.
She went from sticks and bricks and a Subaru to a Tundra and 25' Eddie Bauer on her way from California to Michigan for a family reunion. The truck and trailer were purchased in Tennessee.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote