Old 07-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
How far are you comfortable driving in a day?

Sometimes you just do what you gotta do. 😀 traveled in a self-built GMC long wheelbase van I made into a nice camper. Cross country run.

Won't talk about the time I completely missed a 250 mile AAA TripTic page on a trip, and did almost 950 in a day (and night). Had I seen the page that was stuck to the other one I'd have called it a day, but we were outta time and the dog was busy barfing up the well-meaning snack she got at the last restaurant we stopped in. Amazing how much a smallish dog can hold--seems like gallons....funny now, but not then.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
We do about 5 or 6 hours a day behind the wheel, maximum. Depending on our itinerary, we often do only 4 hours a day, and sometimes less.

russingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #31

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Retired here with no real schedule. I pretty much follow the 230 rule. Drive no more then 230 miles and or stop by 2:30PM. That gives time to sniff around wherever I might be. If I like it then I might stay for a couple days or a couple of weeks. Almost always stay at RV campgrounds. I spent 40 years rushing when working now I am not even sure what day it is.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member
2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Originally Posted by spenfolder View Post
I'm with you Mike. When I'm on a trip, and trying to really relax, I like to drive about 3-5 hours a day, get in to camp early and settle in for a day or two. I don't like to stress about setting up camp in the dark, or breaking down camp in a hurry in the morning. Having said that, I still make the long drives when I'm crossing Nevada for California or the PNW. Once you've done it a few times, there is just not all that much to see or do in the middle of Nevada. No offense to the Silver State, of course!

Salt Lake City

Unless you are traveling Hwy 50. The loneliest Road. Lots of history and good places to stop along the way. Mostly beautiful scenery once you get between Middlegate and Ely.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB International
Sherwood , Oregon
Since we are retired, we don't have to be anywhere at anytime so it is four hrs. to a maximum of six hrs. driving per day. And, we never take the Interstates or freeways unless there is no alternative.
2014 25FB International Serenity, Blue OX Sway Pro,
2016 F350 4x4 Ultimate Lariat crew cab SRW, LWB, 6.7 PSD, 20" wheels, Ingot Silver Metallic, DiamondBack tonneau cover, TrailFX wheel-to-wheel step bars.
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #34
Rivet Master
Retired, 77, and travel with a little chihuahua. I prefer 250-300miles max, and have gone longer if short distance left to go, but, I prefer to not push it too far. I do stop for diesel, walkabouts for me and Mikki, lunch and bathroom breaks, etc.

I used to do those 10-12 hr more! I always prefer daytime driving and have learned my lesson driving into the sunrise or sunset of a day. For everyone's safety, I will avoid those direct "right into the sun" drives, even if it costs time or $!!!
Evelyn & Mikki,(chihuahua) or Nikko (Pomeranian mix) Near Denver, Colorado
TV: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
2015 BAMBI 16' Sport
Prior: 2013 & '14 LG T@B
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member
2008 19' Safari SE
Bandera , Texas
I just don't think any rules apply here. Age, one's durability, time available for the trip, highways or backroads, scenic stops planned or not during any given day, weather, towing comfort, type A name it, it's a variable. Since we acquired the Bambi 4 years ago, time available has governed our daily mileage (mostly hurry up and get "there" so we can relax and enjoy it). Hurrying for us only meant a longer day because we limit our speed. Starting next year, no real time constraints anymore, but my personality simply won't let me call it a day at a certain time or after a certain number of miles. Do what feels good and works for you given your circumstances, and don't worry how others manage their driving day.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #36
1966 17' Caravel
Tallahassee , Florida
300 miles per day and never two days in a row. We'll do 400 on day one because we're packed the day before for an early start. We look for something interesting to do or a pleasant place to stay within 300 miles. We'll go 350 for a real attraction but it has to be good. 300 miles of back roads leaves time for a good breakfast, hitch up and on the road by 9, a leisurely lunch stop and in and set up by 4. Time for a good walk or a bike ride before dinner. No marathons days, no Wal-Mart parking lots. If we're in a hurry, it's a business trip and we fly. Just as an example, a recent wedding in Colorado (from Florida) turned out to be a 5 week round trip. What a nice luxury.
Dick & Pat Stephens
Tallahassee, Florida
RLStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Like most of you all depends. Having seen 70 winters come and go I can't drive like I used to (seems to be a common refrain due to either age or common sense), but when driving cross-country...and trying to get to Florida by myself, I still drive 600 miles the day I leave, 800+ miles the second day, 600 miles the third, and the balance the fourth. But I do enjoy the more leisurely drives/trips when the family is on board. I guess it all depends on destination and purpose of the trip. In any case, stay safe. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
275-350 per day, I drive mornings, my wife drives afternoons. Also avoid Interstates for more scenic routes. Our longest runs have been 670-700 mile days for various emergencies.

On a normal day, lots of breaks. We make coffee and get into Sorinter to start the day. Find someplace nice in an hour or so and have breakfast in a nice setting. Somewhere there's usually a fuel stop, and another stop for lunch. On the road at the civilized hour of 9 am, usually at destination by 3-4 with all the stops. Plenty of time to go on an extended hike and still make dinner..

Easy days--can do them for many days in a row.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:27 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member
2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Interesting, what are the reasons not to take the interstates or freeways?

Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
Since we are retired, we don't have to be anywhere at anytime so it is four hrs. to a maximum of six hrs. driving per day. And, we never take the Interstates or freeways unless there is no alternative.
It is for easy stop? or less stressful? or scenery?

Just bought my first trailer and haven't started first trip yet. So I am curious what easy road to take for a towing beginner.

spreadmywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:08 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
At 74 years of age we follow the 200 2 rule. Two hundred miles and stay 2 nights. Sure we go over the 200 some times, but not by much. We have our airstream to enjoy life, to relax and see things. After all it is the trip not the destination.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:18 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
2-2-2 usually applies to us. That's 200 miles, arrive by 2, stay at least 2 days.
Kathy Narowski
SC Coastal Unit
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:39 AM   #42
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
There are a number of factors that help determine how far we will drive in a day. First is daylight. I do not prefer to drive at night and definitely want to set up when it is light. So that means we will drive further in summer then winter. Second is weather conditions. Prefer to drive when roads are dry as it is not as tiring. Third is traffic. I normally drive in the right lane on the interstates using cruise control set at 62. I find this the best speed for us as most vehicles travel at least that speed or faster and therefore I don't slow them down and they can pass me if they want to. On back roads I will drive no faster then the speed limit and usually a little slower. As for taking breaks I will normally stop at the rest areas unless I need diesel which is not as often since I increased the truck's capacity to 50 gallons. Now to distance. Again it depends on where we are heading however it is definetly no more then 500 an much closer to 300 to 350. Heck it takes me 200 miles just to get around DC from where we live.

urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote