Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2015, 01:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
How do you justify the cost?

I'm obsessing about upgrading to a bigger AS. I full-time, so it would have a big impact on my daily life. But oh, the cost.
Do you think of it as an expense, as in: that purchase money is gone, or do you think of it as merely tying up that money for a time, since resale is relatively high?
How do you frame the decision for yourself?
thanks!
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Don't kid yourself the big ones lose more money than the little ones, because they cost more in the first place, and they sell slower so the depreciation is steeper. You don't JUSTIFY any RV, they're all money pits. If you've saved say $20k by fulltiming so far, you can blow it on a bigger Airstream.

It also helps when you say to yourself, well the new one I'm getting is a 2 year old Airstream and the first owner lost $20k ... so I am smart. It does help, and 20K isn't peanuts, but it'll never be an appreciating asset as most houses are, at least over time.

So - don't buy new. Yeah I know, vented A/C but you live in S. Dakota... It's not like air conditioning weather lasts for six months. AND ask yourself "will I need a new tow vehicle?"

What I did was buy a nicely preserved old Avion - which I'm having redone to suit me, and it will cost less than even a gently used 27 thru 30 Airstream.

You've got to live somewhere, and everything costs money, would you move into a more expensive apartment right now, or make the lifestyle changes needed so you could afford it first?

Since you're from a small town I hope you do have a place to stay that doesn't cost a fortune - a nice lot with a well & septic. Nothing but propane and an electric bill to pay? Then work some overtime or get that second job and put away 10 hours worth of earnings a week until you've at least gotten a decent down payment.

And "shop" long and hard before you buy.

Paula
Old 09-08-2015, 04:26 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

"How do you justify the cost?"

We don't even try.....as in all the things we just "can't live without".

Bob
Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Worked 48 years, saved and now can afford it. Don't eve try to justify it, just enjoy the hell out of it.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Justify the cost?

Paula said it well....and for certain, those of us who do purchase the new AS trailers do so only because we have the funds available. And, I am very grateful for this.

In reality if one is going to purchase an AS, it may be more about the attempt to balance one's budget, size desired, time frame, and willingness to invest sweat equity.

Many years ago at a major German sports car manufacturer's meeting for the dealers, the chairman got up and stated, "I want to thank all of you for doing an excellent job of selling something no one needs."

No one "needs" an AS, thus, no justification is possible. It is about desire and budget.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:49 AM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have owned two smaller Airstreams, bought used for a good price. Although I could afford to buy new, I couldn't rationalize it as a smart investment because of the depreciation. I now travel over 100+ days on the road for about 15K miles a year.

Then AS came out with the new 2015 with ducted air and several other improvements.

I have also witnessed many I know who have sucummb to cancer including a cousin given 6 months to 2 years to live. My decision was easy. Life is short, don't wait to enjoy it.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It depends on what you are willing to live with. I have an old trailer that I brought back to life. If you have to have a newer trailer that has the best and newest of everything, be prepared to pay for it. Resale will drop to half within 10yrs so you are not going to get your money out of it. A good used one might be a good investment but there are many lemons out there with hidden floor damage.

I would make a list of the pros and cons. I still work for a living so spending $100k on a new trailer is not in my budget. It will most likely never be in my budget. If you full time and it is what you want and you can afford it, then go for it.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdesign View Post
I'm obsessing about upgrading to a bigger AS. I full-time, so it would have a big impact on my daily life. But oh, the cost.
Do you think of it as an expense, as in: that purchase money is gone, or do you think of it as merely tying up that money for a time, since resale is relatively high?
thanks!
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:55 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
We sold our real house in May 2014 and by the time we leave to start full-timing in February 2016, we'll have spent about $25K on rent. We hope to carry on for 5+ years, so we justify our new Classic purchase as our rent replacement. Sure, we could have gone cheaper or used, but we didn't need to. And we'll justify our camping fees as the cost of full-time travel. (We're really good at justifying. )

Edited to add: But we could never justify the cost if it were at the expense of saving for the future and so on. We're lucky to be almost done with that phase of our lives.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I dont think that you need to "justify" improving your quality of life to anyone! Because your full timing the larger trailer and additional room would be an" improvement" to your lifestyle and comfort. Its not like you are looking for a weekend trailer or toy. As long as it doesnt negatively impact your finances, I say make the move and enjoy.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We don't justify the cost ... simply enjoy!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdesign View Post
thanks!
Resale value means nothing to me. I intend to keep my Airstream until either I'm too old and feeble to use it, or it's too old and feeble for me to use, whichever comes first. Since it's mostly metal and I'm mostly flesh, I expect it will last longer than I do.

The reason I bought mine was that I was nearing retirement age, and wanted a retirement hobby. I've known too many people who retired and then didn't know what to do with themselves. I didn't want to be one of those people, so I decided on RV camping as my retirement hobby. My Airstream allows me to go new places, see and do new things, and meet new people, and that will help keep me young. Having been retired for the better part of a year so far, I am absolutely certain I made the right choice.

If low-stress Airstreaming can add even one year to my lifespan, it's worth every penny. How much is is an extra year of your life worth?
Old 09-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I can't justify the cost.
It is a tremendously expensive overpriced trailer.
Even the big ones are small in comparison to other brands as far as storage and walk-around room.
The insurance is ridiculously expensive.
The maintenance and upkeep is tremendously expensive.
It is an addiction. The only cure is a very expensive, very large silver pill.
You buy an Airstream because you want an Airstream. The is no logic or reasoning to it.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Paula is spot-on....and it will not bring you happiness if the purchase turns into frequent "oh man...I wish I hadn't done it" or "I didn't know about these new expenses".....an AS should bring all of us pleasure and happiness...even if its just looking at it in the driveway (look at all the pictures of KJRitchie's rig...clearly taken out of love for his AS and TV). Buying an AS should not cause stress. If it does, maybe re-evaluate. I hope it all turns out well for you. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . AS others have said, no justifying any of it ! If you're fortunate enough to afford it, you do it. We had a Safari 25, (bought 5 yrs old) and now have a FC 28 ( bought 4 yrs old) She is so much happier with the 3 extra feet, dinette, & a shower you can actually fit in, so worth it to us. But affording something is very personal, so I'll leave that to you.....regards, Craig
Old 09-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
This is more a question of 'Want' versus 'Need' - You 'Want' an Airstream, therefor you pay and pay and pay for it. Doesn't make sense, doesn't have to. Once you stop in the rest area and all the other SOB's are lusting after your AS you'll get it. Or maybe not. You buy this brand because it is what it is. There is no justification other than this: Does it make you happy? If the answer is yes, than that's all the justification you'll ever need. Enjoy.
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
If anyone spends countless hours "justifying the cost," an Airstream is not for them.

The only "justification" in my choice was this: I decided to invest in myself. "Do something different before you rot away."

The decision was impetuous. I actually went shopping for a new bed....and came home with another bed all right....inside a brand-new Airstream. And I have no regrets.

Either that or I could have continued "investing" it in the bank for zilch interest...or re-invested in the stock market and obsessed over the daily DJA....or bought another home in an over-inflated real-estate market....and worried myself to death about when and if the bubble bursts.

Life is not easy. A rocky road? You bet. With an Airstream you can take an exit ramp.....at least for awhile.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
What's YOUR Priority?

What's the issue? People forever get into DEBT. You just see it everywhere. You either save like heck, or you get enticed into a want that your ego (and financial reality) can't REALLY support. Too many consumers simply can't really afford their needs, and their wants, most of their lives - period! The trick is knowing the difference. Too often we con ourselves into thinking we can HAVE IT ALL. Again, this is why you can get good AS deals from those that were not really ready for the AS they lusted to own. I see the look of awe EVERYwhere I travel. Yep, they are attention grabbers. Yep, just like children - they are mostly joys - Costly, all the same.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
Many years ago at a major German sports car manufacturer's meeting for the dealers, the chairman got up and stated, "I want to thank all of you for doing an excellent job of selling something no one needs."

No one "needs" an AS, thus, no justification is possible. It is about desire and budget.
Ha! Ha! Love it.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #19
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
My justification...

Life is a vacation...and then you die.
Tsmith.wp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
My suggestion to you is buy used and don't get in a hurry. I have purchased two used Airstreams, a 25' and a 30', and got beautiful, slightly-used trailers at a great price. I also sold the 25' through AS classifieds and someone got a nice trailer for a lower price than I expected to sell for, simply because it was time for it to go. When someone finally decides to move a trailer, they often drop the price substantially lower than others are asking for the same rig. Keep your eye on the AS classifieds and when you see something you are interested in, ask questions and make them an offer. If they don't accept, keep your eye on the trailer and approach them again in a couple of weeks, if it is still listed.

Like the others say, it's often difficult to rationalize the price of an AS, but there is nothing wrong with buying at the lowest price you can find!

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote