Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
Since opinions are free on this site ... here is mine.

My wife and I started out with a pop-up camper when the kids were small. And we had a blast. We pulled that all over the place and have very fond memories. And it is quite reasonable in cost.

After a few years I decided to move up to a "white box" and to be honest, I should have made the move earlier or not at all. The kids (two lovely girls) were in middle school and camping quickly became "gay" (1990s) and we didn't use the "white box" camper much at all. We didn't buy our AirStream until it was just my wife and I.

So here are my recommendations ....
1. Start off cheap to see if you are going to like camping. When I say "cheap" I don't mean in quality I'm talking about less expensive campers.
2. If you buy a used camper, this can be long process. You will look at a lot of abused units. So have your checkbook handy for when you find that nice, clean used unit because it won't be on the market very long. (I sold both of my campers in less than a week because they were in great shape.) It is hard to find a clean used unit.
3. If your family likes these vacations and you are thinking of up-grading, do it sooner vs. later.
4. When looking at the floor plans of a unit, remember the kids will grow up. So choose a floor plan that will work for you and your wife when the kids are gone. (That was the other mistake we made in our "white box" purchase.)
TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #22
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We got lucky a few years back and found a nice older trailer in the $8k range. It was in well-used shape but fully functioning and served our needs well. We traveled with it and this past summer sold it and upgraded to a newer one. You may run into some units that have been stationary much of their life. I would recommend that you avoid any trailer that has not been on the road and many have been modified to fit the sedentary life. Serviceable and original plumbing is a big plus. There's not much that cannot be repaired / replaced if the need arises but if you plan to travel with it good running gear is essential. We did it without the benefit of forums, such as this, and the advice available. Maybe we were lucky but do your homework and be prepared when you go looking.

Enjoy the hunt. Enjoy the camping even more.
See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
There is also an excellent blog.
LongLongHoneymoon.com | Videos, tips & information for travelers.
It's by a couple down in your neighborhood. Excellent videos, and Sean's book available for about 3 bucks on Amazon also has a lot of good info. Plus it's entertaining.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
also, I wonder if there is like an AS club or rally in my region at some point that we could go to and just see peoples' AS's for fun/education...<snip>.....
Check the Rally/Gatherings listings at the bottom pf the Portal Page to see if there's anything in your area ... If there's a WBCCI rally anywhere, that would be good. We've have folks do the very thing you have described at some of the 4CU rallies...they come for an afternoon, check out all the Airstreams and talk to owners and pick their minds...it's a great way to get a feel for the possibilities and see Airstreams in actual use by real people. We love showing off our rigs! And chances are you'll never see two that are exactly alike.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
great! Thanks for the ideas you all. I think the wife will very much enjoy it - we will at some point prior to purchase give some different style ones a try just to make sure we get what we want.

I think as a general premise, I am really excited just to have this as a frequent weekend excursion in our region. With little effort and not much expense, there will be so much to do in our region that I suspect we will get "alot" of use out of the a TT....

I already have ideas cooked up in my head for awesome "man trips" too for fishing...there are sooo many great lakes that I could spend a weekend fishing at with a friend or two and it will be great fun to camp for that weekend.

This used to be something that could not happen, but my wife has now every 3-4 months enjoyed as of late "women trips" with a friend of hers for a weekend...they went to chatanooga a couple months ago with our son and her friend and her two kids and had a blast...I was "free" for the weekend....

I suspect that a couple times per year I will be able to take a 3 day fishing weekend with little resistance from my wife now cause she likes now to do the same thing...its really wonderful...

And of course we adore spending time TOGETHER...but you know how it is...we all need a little time to ourselves

Anyway, im loving the possibilities with an AS.

My only mild concern is storage...my hope is that my house I will eventually move into I will somehow find a way to store it myself on that property, but this seems increasingly unlikely given that we want to stay close in to the hoover area...there has been a few houses that had very large paved driveways in a back/side area of the house in addition to 2 garage spots...I could make a carport or something to cover it...but otherwise I will have to find a place to pay to store...not sure how much that will be though...researching now.....
PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
i found some really close storage, but it is uncovered...Im wondering if I can find uncovered storage like this but just put up a portable cover in that spot...I could probably look to a spot not in town perhaps a 20 minute drive or so, but such an area would be much less secure....I would feel much better paying 40-60 per month in a more secure facility locally in hoover...but I do not much like the idea of an RV being rained on and son on during perhaps much time of the year...

Ive tried googling on this subject, but do folks have storage solutions or experience as such?

Covers seem to be a bad idea per some other posts on this forum...

I was thinking something in this ballpark...in high winds I am afraid of this just blowing away....but perhaps not...

14Wx36Lx14H Portable Boat Storage
Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
sun* not "son" lol
Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
Welcome to the forums! We are from Mobile. Not TOO far from you. ROLL TIDE!!! Most of our camping is on the Gulf Coast particularly Gulf Shores. We spend 5-6 weeks at Anchors Aweigh RV Park during the summer. It's a GREAT place for kids. Our daughter and her family (2 boys 4 and 7 and a new baby this summer) also camp there in her SOB. There is a company that rents campers in Gulf Shores. I'm not sure of the name of the company, but I could try to find out for you if your're interested. Might be a good way to experiment.

You have already gotten a lot of good advice and you can continue to learn by reading as much as you can here. As to your question about rallies, we are going to the Canopener Rally in Destin Jan. 3-6. I think the last time I checked, there will be around 70 Airstreams there. On Saturday, there will be an open house where you can tour many of the campers. You will see everything imaginable there from vintage to the latest models of all sizes. And folks love to tell you all about their experiences! Don't know if that's a possibility for you, but you would certainly be welcome to visit! If you do decide to come, look us up! Hope to see you "down the road."
WBCCI #10360
Member Southeastern Camping Unit
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I second visiting Canopener in January! We will be there too with our 34'. it is always neat to see all the different options/floor plans/ modifications/ vintages/ etc. all in one place. a fantastic opportunity for researching rigs! I believe there are cabins for rent at Topsail as well.... just stay for the rally!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
I "third" visiting the Canopener! We visited the "open house" last year and confirmed that the 25' 2007 Safari that we had just put a deposit on was the perfect match for us so we drove the distance to St. Louis, Mo. to pick it up. This year we will be there with it in tow! Hope to see you!
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"Canopener"....that is catchy

Well, I would absolutely love to make it down there! However, my wife is pregnant and due 1/19/12 so that is just way too close to the due date - got to be on the ready for that little one!

I take it this is an annual rally? If it is a similar time next year that will be perfect as well because at that point I will be just about ready to possibly buy.

Keep me posted though you all! And thanks for all the advice!

I am really curious to get some of these and figure out what length I think will suit me....I have all sorts of fleeting and competing ideas in my head - pros and cons swirling about length...I figure getting in some of these ans seeing them first hand will narrow my focus.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
would love to see one of those 34' - jeez!!! I am going to troll through the forums here at some point and read more about length considerations.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
would love to see one of those 34' - jeez!!! I am going to troll through the forums here at some point and read more about length considerations.
I love my '34! I have two little girls and the floor plan works really well for us. There is a bedroom in the back separated by a long hallway (sliding dividers at either end). It works great when the girls go to bed early! we can still use the living room/ kitchen area.

We opted to go vintage with an '82 model and renovate. The trick is to find one in good shape to begin with and the renovations can be minor in lieu of the "full monte". There are some great deals on the larger rigs.

I have attached some pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121007_190253.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	174004   Click image for larger version

Name:	558095_4087842949599_64875057_n.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	174005  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0795.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	174006   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120729_081627_resized_1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	174007  

WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Contemplation - Preparation - Advice???

Greetings PharmGeek!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstreaming!

Quote:
Another source of first-hand information about Airstreaming is a Rally held by a nearby Unit of the Wally Byam Caravan Club International. I just checked the WBCCI.org website and it doesn't appear that the Alabama Unit has a functional website at the present. You can find contact information for the Alabama Unit at this link. Upcoming Rallys and events in WBCCI Region 6 (includes Alabama) can be found at this link.

Another possibility of becoming acquainted with members of a nearby WBCCI unit is the possibility of getting information about Airstreams being sold by members who are retiring from traveling or upgrading to another coach. Members who are retiring from traveling often place great importance on selling their prized Airstream to someone who will keep it active in WBCCI activities and will offer very attractive pricing to such an individual. I acquired my Minuet from its orginal owner who was a long-time WBCCI member and was upgrading to a larger coach for longer-term travel.

Good luck with your search and research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Wow, that is a great AS there cLewis - so very spacious!!

How heavy is it in total? If I go the AS route, im fairly certain it will be 25' plus and would likely simply pull the trigger on a 2/3 ton truck of some sort with the proper trimmings so as to allow my wife to comfortably drive it on the highway on trips..but also perhaps? to pull my 16.5ft bass boat behind it to a given lake for a weekend trip (can you do that..pull such a boad (1200 lbs ish) behind say a 25 or 27 footer...or a 34 footer lol? Is that legal...

Great, thanks overlander...I will keep my ear to the ground! I suspect for the next 4-6 months I will not have the opportunity with trying to sell and buy house, have a new baby, move, etc... - but before I take the plunge and make any decisions, I will certainly make an effort to go to a rally and just get a feel for alot of different models, sit in em, lay in em, etc...and of course glean info from owners...and I suppose I can go check out the ones at my local dealer..they have a few in sock it appears just so I can look at them.

On the issue of the 34 footer...I am very interested in all the considerations of having such a large one......hard to imagine me pulling that huge AS and manuvering it...seems quite intimidating...but then again so was pulling my 16.5 foot bass boat for the first time...perhaps I need to try something intermediate in length first before I jump to such a big un'

I did some digging on this forum about length - i will continue contemplate size, layout, model, etc...but I think it will be 25 or 27...one thing I am not clear on is what 29 will give you more? I found plenty of people on here who had 1 or two kids did fine with the 25 or 27....but I figure once I get into these and think more about it I can see if I would personally think bigger than this would be a good idea...I know it has negatives (parking, restrictions, weight, etc) - just like anything...give and take.

In a vague idea, I like the idea of being able to have my brother, his wife, and their son come along with us...they will unfortunately not be able to afford an AS...but I figure they could just use a pop up tent - I suppose in such a scenario...the bigger the better and we could all hang in the AS when we need/want to - but the more I think about that, the more I think that the AS should only be a space to entertain for a short stent of time? I read on here that these AS's are really only meant to sleep two adults...that seems obvious...I think.

Anyway, I am babbling now....

thanks you all.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
definately in reading, I like some of the positives of twin beds in case I want to go on a brother only or friend only trip...plus I am 6 foot 1...see more babbling and random contemplations...that is what this thread brings to the table...my slight nature towards hypomania
Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #37

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Tandem towing (hitching one trailer to the back of another) is allowed in some states but it's a bad idea with an Airstream because of the structure of the trailer. TANSTAAFL... Airstreams are light for their size because of the construction method used, but that semi-monocoque structure doesn't lend itself to having a hitch on the back, or even a heavy rack on the bumper.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Wow, that is a great AS there cLewis - so very spacious!!

How heavy is it in total? If I go the AS route, im fairly certain it will be 25' plus and would likely simply pull the trigger on a 2/3 ton truck of some sort with the proper trimmings so as to allow my wife to comfortably drive it on the highway on trips..but also perhaps? to pull my 16.5ft bass boat behind it to a given lake for a weekend trip (can you do that..pull such a boad (1200 lbs ish) behind say a 25 or 27 footer...or a 34 footer lol? Is that legal...

Great, thanks overlander...I will keep my ear to the ground! I suspect for the next 4-6 months I will not have the opportunity with trying to sell and buy house, have a new baby, move, etc... - but before I take the plunge and make any decisions, I will certainly make an effort to go to a rally and just get a feel for alot of different models, sit in em, lay in em, etc...and of course glean info from owners...and I suppose I can go check out the ones at my local dealer..they have a few in sock it appears just so I can look at them.

On the issue of the 34 footer...I am very interested in all the considerations of having such a large one......hard to imagine me pulling that huge AS and manuvering it...seems quite intimidating...but then again so was pulling my 16.5 foot bass boat for the first time...perhaps I need to try something intermediate in length first before I jump to such a big un'

I did some digging on this forum about length - i will continue contemplate size, layout, model, etc...but I think it will be 25 or 27...one thing I am not clear on is what 29 will give you more? I found plenty of people on here who had 1 or two kids did fine with the 25 or 27....but I figure once I get into these and think more about it I can see if I would personally think bigger than this would be a good idea...I know it has negatives (parking, restrictions, weight, etc) - just like anything...give and take.

In a vague idea, I like the idea of being able to have my brother, his wife, and their son come along with us...they will unfortunately not be able to afford an AS...but I figure they could just use a pop up tent - I suppose in such a scenario...the bigger the better and we could all hang in the AS when we need/want to - but the more I think about that, the more I think that the AS should only be a space to entertain for a short stent of time? I read on here that these AS's are really only meant to sleep two adults...that seems obvious...I think.

Anyway, I am babbling now....

thanks you all.
The GVWR on mi 34' is 8,900lbs. Whew!
It tows very very well. I would imagine the triple axles have a lot to do with it. Once you get used to it the length is not an issue backing or pulling. Its all about what your needs are and what works best for you!
The newer models are "widebody" layouts; you wouldn't thing that 6" in width would make a difference, but it does.
In regards to the twin beds, it has given us a lot of versatility in sleeping arrangements when we have friends/parents come along. I also have two couches and a dinette that converts to a bed. I have never used all of these at once, but the room is there.
The 27FB models seem to be popular and offer great floor plans.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yeah, I figured tandem towing would be a no no - well, thats ok cause if a fishing buddy goes along they can pull my boat or theirs and I pull the trailer

yeah, the 27 looks nice...25 def doable it would seem too...im wondering if the 25 vs. 27 is in any way subjectively different inside just for relaxing...otherwise it would be a difference in storage largely in reading another post on here "25 vs 27 death match"....seems like pretty marginal differences in these models....but I will be looking at them obviously myself.

best TV for a 27FB with a family of 4? I figure something in the ballpark of a crew cab 4wD like a 2500HD....I am wondering how much I am going to need/want to spend on a TV...I looked at online just a new 2500HD with the towing package etc with it and it was like 33K...in july 2013 my VW wagon diesel payment (514 per month, had it on a 4 year term) will be done....so ill have a good budget for a TV I think in 2014 that is perhaps a separate budgeted item...but im hoping to find a mildly used one for a decent price (of course that is IF I decide to buy an AS)...
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Airstream

I really should not even look for one lol...

and you were right about good prices on big ones....dang..I like spacious inside...

good deals on the big ones...I am noticing they frequent craigs list more than 25-28 foot models...

I am thinking for a while I would probably not want a big one with the smaller kids - for quick weekend outings...but it is tempting for trips down to the gulf...would be great for week long beach trips -