Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettoc625
I love this thread!!!
I am struggling to get an internet based business running from home! It would be a dream if I could also run it from the AS.

How did each of you find out about the technical aspects of going wireless? Do you have an computer consultant who helps you figure out the individual parts and that make up the entirety of your mobile system?

What about website design and internet marketing? Have you hired professionals, or are you DYI?

Mary
Hi Mary, Glad you're enjoying the thread. I suspect there are enough people wanting to realize the dream of working from their AS that this thread could be given a higher and permanent position in the hierarchy.

I have not needed the services of a networking professional. I have a wired and wireless network in my home with a Linux file server, a Linux based backup server and a wired router appliance plus two wireless access points.

I suspect both of us would need less complex network components in the AS. I would be happy to advise you privately by phone (primarily) if you feel comfortable taking it on without my being physically present.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 09-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Royal Oak , Michigan
My job requires me to move about 5-10 GB of data every weekend, and I've had great luck with the verizon 3G data card. I previously had the sprint service (not bad) and the AT&T which was a joke. I have heard from one of my employees that the new 3G sprint network is as good as the verizon.

Having said that, I always try to find a campground with wifi when I can. Unfortunately, it usually does not work very well, but if I find a place where it does, I will make a note and try to return there. There are plenty of other free or paid places you can hook up too, starbucks, flying j, etc. I saw several gas stations advertise free wifi just today, and think that it will be more common as time goes on.

My main "mobile office" is a Gulfstream sprinter van conversion, but we also have a 23" CCD. Both are outfitted with everything I need, which is my laptop, plus a laser printer, fedex and ups supplies, blank CDs and DVDs, and spiral binding gear. If I'm traveling alone I use the sprinter, but if my family is coming along we take the airstream. Since I travel about 40 weeks each year, this has allowed me to spend about an extra month with my wife and kids each year.

One thing that I would add as a very useful addition to the mobile office is a UPS/power conditioner. If you buy a large unit, it will stabilize the voltage going to your computer, protect you from spikes, let you back up when the power fails, and most importantly, run your laptop on AC for hours - so even when you are not on AC, you can work all day and not drain your coach batteries with an inverter. Very useful IMO. Just leave it plugged in when you are hooked up to shore power and it will charge right back up.

Mike
mikelevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Working from the AS/transcription

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayresdream
My wife and I are into our fourth year of fulltiming.

I do two jobs from our A/S. My wife and I campground host, which I consider as paying the rent. For groceries I do transcriptions. When I first started fultiming I used Bell Mobility (from Canada) data service with my cell phone... the plan I was on allowed unlimited data access for 99.00 a month. Then one day while in New Mexico I found out my cell phone bill was $7,000.00. After my heart restarted and I picked my jaw off the floor I called the phone company... it turned out that the agreement Bell Mobility had with Sprint in the US had ended, and my unlimited data had turned to $5 per megabyte... the only problem... they had neglected to tell me. They did agree to waive the bill, but I was now without data service.
I'd like to hear more about your transcription work. Can you let me know what kind of transcription, through what channel, etc.? Thanks!

Campground hosting sounds great.

Judith
Still looking
GoinWest is offline   Reply With Quote