Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #1

Cambridge , Ontario
What does Airstream mean to you?

Hi everybody, I am an achitecture student at the University of Waterloo and we are currently doing a case study of Airstream trailers so I thought that the people here might be able to help me out. I was wondering what Airstream as a brand and product means to you? as well as why you chose Airstream over the competition? Also any stories or information you would be willing to share from your experiences with Airstream and on the road would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Airstream

It represents freedom, good taste, adventure, quality, etc. Something about a travel trailer that is 45 years old and is even better that when it was new. Airplanes are a lot like Airstreams in that they can be updated with the latest in technology & style but still keep it's unique feel. I've been in "Beaver" float planes from the early 50's that function just like new. An Airstream also makes a statement where ever it goes. Keep checking this forum as I'm sure many others can say it better.....Tim
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
Hi everybody, I am an achitecture student at the University of Waterloo and we are currently doing a case study of Airstream trailers so I thought that the people here might be able to help me out. I was wondering what Airstream as a brand and product means to you? as well as why you chose Airstream over the competition? Also any stories or information you would be willing to share from your experiences with Airstream and on the road would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.
Check the June 16,1997 issue of People magazine.

Check the Wall Street Journal issue dated December 11, 1996.

If you wish, post an e-mail address, or send it via a PM, and the above info can be forwarded to you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Good basic engineering; the appliances are run-of-the mill, available in all rvs. The engineering of the frame, shell material, shell shape, weight-distribution, all make the trailer tow better than SOBs in general.

The "status" bothers me a bit.......yes, they cost more than other trailers per foot......but this does not make me as an owner a better/superior person.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What does Airstream mean to you?

There is a certain mystique associated with Airstreams -- it is among the few products of industry that immediately creates a picture for most Americans with just the mention of its name, joining other similar products such as:
  • Chevrolet Corvette
  • Ford Mustang
  • Maytag Wringer Washer
  • Volkswagen Beetle
  • Connestoga Wagon
Its iconic status has some attraction, but for many that attraction is supplanted by other issues. For me it brings back warm memories of childhood when friends of my family owned the 1964 Overlander that is now mine. Many who are unfamiliar with the logevity of Airstream products are amazed when they learn that there are coaches that have been the camping home of families for three or more generations. While mine isn't a family heirloom, I did go on my first camping trip in the Overlander when it was new and I was five years old -- it was simply a quirk of fate that I acquired the Overlander in 1995 through a blind advertisement in a shopper publication. It was in the hands of its second or third owner (the paper trail isn't clear on this issue) when I purchased it; and it would be about six months before I learned of my early history with the coach.

A photo of the coach during one of its early visits to my family farm is attached below:

The photo was taken in 1968, and I am the one leading the pony -- the Overlander is in the backgrond.

The photo below is of the Overlander taken recently about 300 yards from where the photo above was taken:

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
They are iconic examples of 1930s Americana art deco design. The man responsible for introducing them to the world, Wally Byam, once said he didn't make changes; he only made improvements.

They are also highly engineered pieces of equipment. He drew on his experience working in the aircraft construction industry doring WW-II in designing his trailers which is why they last so long. Wally only used the best materials such as aircraft-grade aluminum (.032" 2024 T3 Alclad) but that was discontinued in the 1970s. They say about 70% of all the Airstream trailers ever built are still on the road today.

Some owners like the new ones; some like the vintage Airstreams. Some like them both. They are quite different.

Airstream also represents a lifestyle; a culture. There are several books on the subject such asAirstream: The History of the Land Yacht by Bryan Burkhart and Airstream Living by Bruce Littlefield to name a couple.

Good luck with your project.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome aboard....

Hendrik

Float around the Forums for awhile and you will get all the impressions you need.

I find it interesting that so far the most recent date mentioned is 1997.

I relish the Lifestyle...the newer offerings however do not live up to their exalted "icon" reputation. mi2sents
Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
For me my AS represents: home, stability, quality, fun, freedom, good taste even though my AS is a 1968. She is iconic and almost as old as I am and in better shape. After you have used another brand of trailer and step into an AS - there is a very big difference in feeling. With all of the curves and rivits . . . they are just special. The new AS comes with a petigree and the vintage makes the petigree. Just take a look at our silver bullets. What's not to love. Pull into a RV park and in just a few minutes the folks from the biggest rig will be over to say hello and to let you know that they once had (and wished they still had) an Airstream.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamjudy View Post
good taste even though my AS is a 1968. She is iconic and almost as old as I am and in better shape.
You know, that's a good point. Airstreams are so similar through the years that they defy the ravages of style which cause other things to be 'in' or 'out'. Enthusiasts can tell what vintage they are looking at at a glance, but most people can't tell a vintage Bambi from a new one. And it helps that they are frequently restored to better than new.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
To me Airstream represents:

Classic Americana...

Good Times with Great Friends...

Adventure...

No matter where you go most people always recognize an Airstream. You generally don't get that type of recognition with another brand.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Fun
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
All of the above. Iconic, classic, American, adventure, quality, and a whole lot of emotional. For a camping person, owning an Airstream is like a motorcycle rider owing a Harley. It just doesn't get any better than this.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Well, we bought ours a little over a year ago mainly because we sold another make trailer that we had owned for quite a few years and which we liked a lot. We only sold it as it had cost us a lot of money and continued to be a bit of a money pit. (That make is no longer in production).

After selling the old RV, we researched just about every trailer made today and none seemed to suit us in terms of layout / appearance / quality other than the Airstream.

Initially I wasn't happy to pay the price and thoight about getting out of RV'ing, but eventually concluded we still enjoyed the lifestyle and I wouldn't be happy with anything else!

(PS - I did a calculation during this time and concluded that it would be just as cheap for us to rent someone's condo each year, but we still enjoy the gypsy lifestyle with our own home on wheels!)

If I'm honest, I suppose another reason for buying the Airstream was that I had always admired the looks and knew that it was considered to be both an icon and the Cadillac of RV's!

Since buying, I am still impressed and happy with it, although I have learned from this forum that the quality of newer units such as ours doesn't measure up to those of bygone years. Can't say (touch wood) that we have had any serous problems with ours so far though.

I do feel pretty proud towing it down the road, and we have already had some very nice comments! One couple stopped us in a mall car park and asked if we could take their picture with it!

When we get where we are going, it suits us to a T as our home away from home! There is something just real nice about being in it!

Brian.

No regrets since buying

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
I have to say that at first I was discouraged with my Airstream because the price didn't justify the quality...I had some leaking trouble but once I got that straightened out I have to admit there is a certain satisfaction with towing something as iconic as an Airstream ....I have to admit it tows great....I have come to Florida for 4 years now from NH and have no troubles as far as towing is concerned.....design is great but they could work on quality before they let a unit leave the factory
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
The design and exterior appearance is so clean, round, shiny, and smooth. Their shape a true icon of America. Not everyone knows what they are called but everyone recognizes that they are something extraordinary. They are quirky and each has its own personality.

It is not unusual while towing to have people taking pictures of the trailer from their car as they pass. Also not unusual to pull up to a stoplight and get a thumbs up or a wave from a perfect stranger.

There is also a relationship amongst Airstream owners that I have not witnessed among other brands. Airstreamers will walk up and visit you at your campsite like old friends even if you've never met.

Good luck on you project.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
Airstream represents longevity and quality in a world today that is all about disposable items. It is real 'china' instead of paper plates.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2016 27' International
Hillsboro , Texas
When I first saw the photo of the Airstreams parked at the foot of a pyramid.
Had to have one. Maybe two.
Airstreams, that is.
djs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I have been around Airstreams for over 50 years. My Dad bought his first Airstream in 1955,

My second vehicular interest is Porsches, and I have had a least one Porsche in my garage since 1969.

Now for the similarities. Both Airstream and Porsche developed a great aerodynamic shape and have maintained the original design for over 50 years. Both have concentrated on improving their products mechanically but never compromising the original design. Hence, owning a 50 year old Airstream is still an "Airstream", just as any year Porsche is a "Porsche". In fact my 1959 Porsche is more admired than my state of the art new Porsche.

Airstreams are iconic. The originator, Wally Byam, purposely designed a travel trailer that would attract a class of people interested in travel and adventure, not a cheap way to travel. There is nothing wrong with being economical, but that was not Wally's goal. He wanted an upscale, quality travel trailer that would attract people who had the means to take advantage of the travel opportunities it offered.

Airstreams were meant to be able to go anywhere in the world. They are the best towing trailer on the planet.
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
There is nothing like the experience of watching other motorists while waiting at a traffic signal with the Airstream in tow. Add a vintage tow vehicle to the equation and each traffic signal produces a new set of reactions.

With this combination, and the top down on the Cadillac, it is rather educational to hear some of the comments made while stopped in traffic.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #20

1972 27' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
My Overlander

For me, my new (well... new to me anyway) Airstream is aesthetically pleasing and is my home. I find that Airstreams stand up to time much better than the competition.
hyprbolepnda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream