Old 01-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
The design and exterior appearance is so clean, round, shiny, and smooth. Their shape a true icon of America. Not everyone knows what they are called but everyone recognizes that they are something extraordinary. They are quirky and each has its own personality.

It is not unusual while towing to have people taking pictures of the trailer from their car as they pass. Also not unusual to pull up to a stoplight and get a thumbs up or a wave from a perfect stranger.

There is also a relationship amongst Airstream owners that I have not witnessed among other brands. Airstreamers will walk up and visit you at your campsite like old friends even if you've never met.

Good luck on you project.

Bill Cantrell
AIR 24338
Easily distracted by shiny objects.
Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
Airstream represents longevity and quality in a world today that is all about disposable items. It is real 'china' instead of paper plates.

jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1966 20' Globetrotter
2001 30' Classic S/O
Shoreview , Minnesota
When I first saw the photo of the Airstreams parked at the foot of a pyramid.
Had to have one. Maybe two.
Airstreams, that is.
djs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I have been around Airstreams for over 50 years. My Dad bought his first Airstream in 1955,

My second vehicular interest is Porsches, and I have had a least one Porsche in my garage since 1969.

Now for the similarities. Both Airstream and Porsche developed a great aerodynamic shape and have maintained the original design for over 50 years. Both have concentrated on improving their products mechanically but never compromising the original design. Hence, owning a 50 year old Airstream is still an "Airstream", just as any year Porsche is a "Porsche". In fact my 1959 Porsche is more admired than my state of the art new Porsche.

Airstreams are iconic. The originator, Wally Byam, purposely designed a travel trailer that would attract a class of people interested in travel and adventure, not a cheap way to travel. There is nothing wrong with being economical, but that was not Wally's goal. He wanted an upscale, quality travel trailer that would attract people who had the means to take advantage of the travel opportunities it offered.

Airstreams were meant to be able to go anywhere in the world. They are the best towing trailer on the planet.
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
There is nothing like the experience of watching other motorists while waiting at a traffic signal with the Airstream in tow. Add a vintage tow vehicle to the equation and each traffic signal produces a new set of reactions.

With this combination, and the top down on the Cadillac, it is rather educational to hear some of the comments made while stopped in traffic.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #20
1972 27' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
My Overlander

For me, my new (well... new to me anyway) Airstream is aesthetically pleasing and is my home. I find that Airstreams stand up to time much better than the competition.
hyprbolepnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
As a kid, I followed every NASA space mission, beginning with Mercury, and when the Apollo astronauts had to be quarantined in an Airstream, it was like, WOW!!! What is that silver trailer??? Ever since then, I was taken by Airstreams--and looked for 2 years to find the right one. I didn't want SOB.

Now, when we're getting ready to pull out and I crank up the stablizing jacks, it's like I'm getting ready for lift-off!
barbara4rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #22
Past Prez.NEU/Membership
2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Airstreams are just WOW..........and very unique like their owners! I find Airstream folks very interesting to talk to, as they seem to enjoy their toys and hobbies. They really are a diverse group of folks.

The Airstream is made to utilize every nook & cranny. The spacious and cozy inside is exemplary.

We have been owners since 2004, and feel it was well spent $$$$$$.

T & Gail
2015 Airstream Interstate Ext
2005 34'Classic- Mercury (Goddess of Travel)
2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Iconic may be the theme you're looking for.

I have been a Porsche guy since '85. Am about to pop for a AS as a "remodel". Have done many homes and historic buildings and looking forward to the experience.
There is something about the design that grabs a person. In Porsche, it's the classic shape and the people.
I sense in AS, it's the same.
All live with quirks that make us love (and cuss) the machine. It seems the "cussers" on most web pages are the most vocal. The test of time and design shows they survive and are appreciated.

I think quality of life as "texture". If one wants boring, that's easy. It's the offbeat experiences that add texture.

We are buying used, but looked at a new white box at a dealers showroom. It was big and disgusting! Looked like a trailer house inside, so price per square foot was 1/3 of AS.

We never thought of owning a travel trailer until our grandson sat in our cargo trailer and said "we could live in this". That opened a door that we had not thought of.

We have no interest in owning a white box, but will own an AS.

It may be that after our "remodel", we don't like the life style, but it will be the experience!

That is what AS (& Porsche) is about.

triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #24

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I think definition three and four are especially appropriate around these parts.

Honey.... bring me the Kool-aid.

Main Entry: icon
Variant(s): also ikon \ˈī-ˌkän\
Function: noun

1 : a usually pictorial representation : image
2 [Late Greek eikōn, from Greek] : a conventional religious image typically painted on a small wooden panel and used in the devotions of Eastern Christians
3 : an object of uncritical devotion : idol
4 : emblem, symbol <the house became an icon of 1960's residential architecture — Paul Goldberger>
5 a : a sign (as a word or graphic symbol) whose form suggests its meaning b : a graphic symbol on a computer display screen that usually suggests the type of object represented or the purpose of an available function
— icon·ic \ī-ˈkä-nik\ adjective

— icon·i·cal·ly \-ni-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

Right now they are a very poor representation of what they once were.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
???? Airstweam no mean to me !!!!! Maybe if Japanese Impewial Army had Airstweam, Japanese Impewial Army win WAR !!!!! Prease to reve me arone, chop suey get cold. BONNNGGGGGG !!!!!! Tow a vintage Airstream and this will answer all of your questions.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania

Welcome, you've certainly come to the right place for Airstream opinions and experience! I'm new to Airstream ownership, and come from a slightly different demographic from the average Airstream owner in respect to age.

I purchased my first non-Airstream travel trailer at age 24. My first attempt to purchase an Airstream was at age 26, but it was a failed attempt because I was trying to purchase my grandfather's 25' Trade Wind. Despite being ~80 years old at the time, and having a fleet of boats, RV's, properties, etc he was not willing to part with his old 1975 Airstream that he had not used regularly in many years, due to sentimental value. He spent several decades traveling the country running a door to door magazine sales company in which he lived and worked out of his Airstreams for weeks at a time, always towing them with a Cadillac.

I'm now 31 years old and own my late grandfather's Airstream. I purchased it last year from my grandmother after she mentioned selling it. I've always wanted an Airstream and I'm quite excited that the one I now own has been in my family since new, and that my kids (5 and 7) are now the third generation experiencing it. I now have two campers, a 2005 Fleetwood I purchased new, and a 1975 Airstream. I'm trying to sell the 2005 Fleetwood, since I now have a "new" Airstream that is 4 years older than I am. Why would I sell a practically brand new trailer and keep one that is 35 years old? Easy...I only need one trailer, and one of them isn't an Airstream!

Airstream is a great example of form AND function in perfect harmony, by the unwillingness to compromise on either. I think a fair comparison would be comparing a Mac to a PC in the computer world. The comparison is not which is better, as that is simply a matter of opinion, but more of the culture that is reflected by each. PC's come in thousands of configurations, are built by many manufactures, many times have more features and options available, design and build quality are commonly compromised by price pressure due to heavy competition, they are rarely recognized as being unique, and they make up a huge majority of the market. Mac's however are quite different, they come in very few configurations, are produced by one manufacturer, design and build quality are rarely compromised due to an ability to sell their products at a premium price, are easily distinguished visually from other brands, and they make up a very small portion of the market. At the end of the day they're both computers and can both yield similar results, yet they display drastically different characteristics.

I think that Airstream's unique design esthetic and innovative qualities are solidified when they cause Architecture students to perform a case study on a travel trailer. With a design that is three quarters of a century old and a brand that represents only a tiny portion of a market that is flooded by competition, yet this is the company that is chosen to study, I think that speaks for itself.

Don't hesitate to share the results of your case study, I'm sure others as well as myself would be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas

I hadn't read post # 18 before i sent mine.

Do we have a theme here?

Maybe a early 911 towing an AS, instead of the bike?

triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:52 AM   #28
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake
Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Airstream/SOB vs. Mac/PC

While I generally agree with Emerson77's post about the comparison between Airstreams vs SOBs (Some Other Brand) and between Macs and PCs, I would guess that in another 60 years, both yesterday and today's Airstreams will still be in use and loved by everyone (owners and longers both) as the travel lifestyle icon that it is, while 60 year old Macs will be fondly remembered in museums, but will never be used.

Airstreams endure. Airstreams inspire. Airstreams enrich our lives and the lives of everyone who see them and long for the life Airstreams offer.

My Airstream is my home, my cocoon, my perfect place, by tag-along friend, as loyal as my dog. Neither will ever let me down. Both will be there till the end.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote