Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Topsail State Park

Just got back from Topsail State Park today and met someone from the forum.A really great guy.CACTUS is his forum name.His wife is also a great person to know also.It was nice meeting you both and hopefully at the end of the year it will happen again.
You know...It is really amazing at how many people you can meet with just having the Airstream.Ever since I got the first one last year I either was getting comments or conversations about it.Also I get to meet a bunch of other Airstreamers in return.Another really cool thing I like is the fact that you dont have to know other Airstreamers at all and they walk up to you and start conversating like you have known them for years or driving on the highway and they flash you as they head towards the opposite direction.It just doesnt get any better than that.
This is one of the coolest things I have ever done in my life and I have only been doing this just under 1 year.Hopefully I will get to meet more you at the end of this year if anyone has plans to come to florida or if any of the great Airstreamers in florida are roaming around the area.
Thanks you all for being such great people and thanks to the forum for letting me meet more of you all across the world.It is hard to find people like this everyday in life.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Have'nt been to Topsail Hill in more than a year, can't remember, is pool heated? What is condition of the beach, post hurricane?

Thanks,
Old 02-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Park

Cleaned up,Fixed up and ready for camping.That place is great to go to.The beach is in awsome condition.We will know in the near future though when hurricane season starts.It is supposed to be another big year but then again they might all miss us.(Hopefully!!!).

Old 02-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We stayed there a couple of times when it was a private park (Emerald Coast). Hopefully its just as nice now as it was then. Hope to get down there again in the future.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Nice

Yes it is still really a nice place to go.Very clean and very well kept up to date.Seems like every time I have been by there something new is going on.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:03 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Topsail

We are failry new full timers touring the country. We recently visited Florida (the panhandle) for the first time. Maybe I'm just cheap (oops....frugal), but I thought $38 per night for a state park was a little steep no matter how nice it was (and Topsail did look very nice), especially when the Park Office person at Topsail said the beach was about the same as the one at Grayton Beach State Park, where we stayed for $21. It's about 10 miles away from Topsail.

Florida seems pretty proud of their stuff. I miss Texas where some of the state parks on the water (like Goose Island near Rockport for example) are only $14-16 per night.

But I can see that if you live in FL, it's cheaper to pay $38 locally than drive to Texas......not to mention the time involved!

Cheers,

Lee

Full Time.....keeping the shiny side up

Lee Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
I agree, it is a lot of dough. I was there last May and went up the beach to find a private camp not nearly as nice as Topsail and they were more $$. Topsail does give you cable and sewer, most Florida parks give you water and electric only. We are returning to Topsail in early April, We like the area, I also took a look at the availability in Grayton for April and found that the sites available had a warning, "will not accomodate a slideout", we don't have a slide but you have to wonder how close these sites are or is it because of trees? We have never been to Texas, we will keep Goose Island in mind, is it nice there?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Grayton Beach

We have a 34 foot long Airstream (no slides) and I don't recall having a problem at Grayton Beach. Most of the sites were large enough.

FYI, Goose Island SP near Rockport TX was one of the best parks we have visited. Stay on the waterfront (short seawall) for $16 or back in the live oak groves about 1/2 mile from the shore for $14. We stayed among the live oaks and walked or drove to the water because I don't like the salt on my rig after a week.

Free fishing in the Texas State Parks (no need for a non-resident license) and GI has a 1600 foor lighted pier. Many Texas parks you can stay right on the beach if you want, and we understand in FL you can't do that.

To avoid the day use fees you need to buy a $60 park card good for a year, but we spent 2 months in Texas (mostly in the state parks) so it paid for itself over and over. It also covers other stuff like the Fulton Mansion, Battleship Texas, and other stuff run by the park service having nothing to do with the parks or camping.

We thought Texas was great and plan to be back there for part of next winter. We are inthe SE now and will be heading for the Pacific NW for the mid- late summer since we have heard it is one of the prettiest parts of the country. We hear you need reservations, but that's not our style (stay if we like a place....go on if we don't) so I hope we can find places to stay up there. Anyone with suggestions as to nice spots in the NW , please let us know

Thanks

Lee

Full Time.....keeping the shiny side up

Lee Davis is offline   Reply With Quote