Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Restoration Contest or Competitions?

Although I'm FAR from ready, this past weekend at the Bash an owner told me he took a first place with his trailer in I think sarasota?

His trailer was restored like a vintage boat, really nice!

Are these events out there? I sure would like to visit one.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think he won people choice. It was at the first Vintage Trailer Jam. Some like to compete in these concourse de elegans style judging, some like to show off their hard work, some hate the whole concept. I will not state where I fall.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Is there a category for "most number of YEARS to restore"? I'd win that one hands down.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I think he won people choice. It was at the first Vintage Trailer Jam. Some like to compete in these concourse de elegans style judging, some like to show off their hard work, some hate the whole concept. I will not state where I fall.

The "peoples Choice" contest was the second year at the VT Jam. First place was a canned ham with matching vintage tow car. How unfair!

The first year the pros were the judges. I won't say who won "Best of Show"but I read someone was upset that the old ford wagon with the front cut off should have won. I think if there was a category for "Weirdest idea for a Camper" if would have won for sure.

Of course all of these kinds of contests are subjective, but the WBCCI (remember them?) has a detailed points form that keeps judging as level as it can be.

Having won "BOS" at the first Jam and knowing the people that were doing the judging made it that much more meaningful for us. Now I know how Sally Fields feels!

If you are not into being judged that's OK. But what happens when one of your restorations is selected when a client enters in one of these fun competitions? Maybe you will feel different about it then.

But to each his own. Some like customized trailers, or trailers that look like a boat inside, and some love the weirdest thing that shows up....that being the rear end wagon. Did I mention how strange that was!

And then there are the canned hams with the matching vintage car. Do NOT try to compete with them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	terrier_1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	106098  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Kinda funny, I'm sitting here watching "Best of Show" right now on TV Guide!

www.campnova.com

Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Kinda funny, I'm sitting here watching "Best of Show" right now on TV Guide!
Hi Dan
Yes, I have been waiting a few years to use that photo just in case anyone cared enough to talk about this subject.

I think the movie sums up their prespective on beauty contests and to the extent the owners of said dog, trailer, classic car or kitty cat will go to compete. Guilty as charged. I have heard pride and vanity are a sin so I expect there is a trailer park waiting in hell for me. Or is it here now already on earth?

That chopped off Ford wagon camper was pretty cool having looked at the photo again ).....considering it had a boat top too. But rarity does not top the many Airstreams that were in attendence. And we all know they ARE the best travelling contraptions out there...right?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	judge_3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	106115  
Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Now we could have some fun here.....

For those that have seen the movie "Best in Show", what character do you most resemble?

www.campnova.com

Old 07-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
As I have stated more than a few dozen times, here and in public, even said it at the BASH twice this weekend, since seeing Gary's 62 at the 2009 VTJ, it is a VERY FINE restoration. He should be extremely proud of the job he did. It is one of the finest trailers you will set foot in. Not trying to turn my nose brown, not trying to butter your toast on both side, I honestly feel that way. You should be very proud.
I however just use my Anna. She is no show piece, she is our second home. We use her hard, put her up wet often, and my soon to be 4 year old works hard at testing the strength and durability of every single square inch of her. I am however dropping her off next week to be professionally polished. I just do not have it in me to spend all that time making that part happen. Perhaps when she returns, I will have a totally different feeling about her.

Now Gary, how about you share some of those photos of that half truck half trailer you like so much. Any other trailers you like would be great too.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Hi Frank

Sure I can share a few photos of the Ford wagon "ShowBoat". It sure was purty.

You certainly do use your trailer. I saw it coming up Rob's road at a brisk pace. No cobwebs on Anna!

Many people think our "Sylvia" is a show girl and used lighty. I would estimate 80K miles since we put her back in service. Florida to California, Washington State, PEI Canada and back to the great State of Maine. Wash, polish. Repeat. I still can not believe how well she holds up to all the use.

Now if I had kids, pets or multiple trailer projects... keeping the Safari in show off condition would be more then I could manage. Trust me when I say it is the only indulgence I take such good care of.

I fully understand farming out the polishing job. As they say, they don't call it a j o b for nothing! I always tell those who ask that I would not have polished the trailer had it not been in such poor shape from neglect in the first place. But maybe that's a lie.

the ford/boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jam 064.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	106117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jam 065.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	106118  

Name:	Jam 066.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	106119  
Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
That Ford wagon trailer may indeed have been made from a Ford wagon, but there was a camping trailer made and sold in the mid 50's with a boat on top that looked like a 54 Ford and used 54 Ford taillights. Here is a link with more info on this one and the manufactured ones: davintosh » It’s Five O-Clock Somewhere!
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
oh, the Kom -Pak... That was my pick for sure. That was a fiberglass body and was totally restored from the rubber up by that then 13 year old boy in the upper left corner. His father has built many hot rods over the years and the son would help dad. The boy did the whole thing 100% by himself. I thought just that alone was worth praise. I often tell people about that trailer. The truck is something odd that was hot rodded by the father. I think it is a studebaker, but not sure.

Impressive milage there. Hope to have that many under the belt soon. Towing is my favorite part. Yes, I was hauling butt back. We were 40 minutes down the road when I remembered my fathers two coolers in Rob's garage. The drive once we had said coolers was 8.5 more hours. Usually we do it in 5.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
okay, here is my vote for poople's choice

moderncoop.com - Home
ol' bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
Nice....a canned ham with a slide out!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Thanks, Mistral for the reminder

Mistral Blue was kind enough to inform me that there was also a Peoples choice category at the first VT Jam and the nautical themed interior Airstream did indeed win FIRST PLACE. Unfortunately I have forgotten his name. He even had a gas fired fireplace. lots of work. I think he won the next year also.

There was also a prize for the "trailer with the most potential" which went the Erica Puck, the little german one with the pop top.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The nautical themed trailer was at the Bash also. I stood in there for a good while and chatted. Due to major short term memory loss, I cannot pull their names up. Nice as heck folks though...
Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
If I EVER finish the Overlander, I want to build one of these: Teardrop Plans.com

Number one child just found out she's going to have twins just before Christmas (our first TWO grandbabies), maybe by the time they are old enough to appreciate camping, the Teardrop will be be finished. The babies will stay in the Overlander with Susan and I. The daughter and son-in-law can stay in the Teardrop.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote