Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Do you travel with pets?
yes 14 93.33%
No 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2003, 07:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I'll see what happens tonight........

I'm going to sleep in the driveway in our 1964 Lark popup tonite and I'm going to partner up with the dog. This may be an interesting night. The dog in the camper for the first time and not in her cage at night for the first time. The wifey poo wants to stay in the house. Oh well, its just an experiment.
sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 07:55 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally posted by InsideOut

snip...BTW, I also have two parrots (African Grey & Grey Cheeked Pocket Parrot) I wouldn't travel with either of them in our small trailer...they are too "talkative" and it's too confined for them AND Lily, she is after all a cat!

I know folks that DO travel with birds though...just not a bird & cat, that's asking for trouble. Also, exotic birds are pretty sensitive to drafts & sudden temperature changes...

Shari
We had parrots for about 15 years, and we went on trips to GET AWAY FROM THEM! They have all found homes now with people who can enjoy their bubbly personalities without getting migranes from the screeching. My husband made me sign a contract promising I wouldn't bring another one home. Ever.

We took our dogs along on our trips so far. We got them used to the trailer before we left be having it open out in the yard so they could come and go and inspect it while I was inside cleaning up. Then I closed them up in it with me while I was quietly reading, or while we had dinner in it a few times. They got used to staying inside and not scratching at the screen to get out (I had to tell them no a couple times).

On our trips they did great, and enjoyed several peacefull afternoons in the trailer, with all the windows open and the dogs just enjoyed watching the comings and goings in the park, didn't bark or try to escape. We have even left them alone for short periods, and they didn't destroy anything. I thought it went really well. We did stop along the way to hike and stuff like that, so they were tired by the time we actually got settled into a park for the evening. Tired dogs are good dogs.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 09:33 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We have taken ours on just about every trip, except for one.
They get excited when we leave, until we get to our destination. But, on the way home they are quiet as can be. They usually get lots of exercise when camping.

Here's a picture from last weekend. They even let us AS folks park next to each other!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jackop.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	2186  
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 08:59 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Talking Hey, that Bambi looks familiar!

Notice there is absolutely NO shine on the A/S's that weekend. That's because all it did was rain, with a brief break on Saturday. But we sure did have a great time. And meeting another A/S couple made it even more fun.

Pick, we sure look forward to camping beside you folks again soon!

Cherie
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 09:55 AM   #25
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
One more cat to travel with us

We just found out that our old cat is diabetic and needs 2 insulin shots a day. I guess he will be travelling with us in the future since the vet wants an arm and a leg to both board him and give the shots.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 10:09 AM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
My grandmother has a diabetic cat as well. It's surprising how many people I've met now who have this problem. Well, what's one more cat in the trailer? Good luck with the shot thing :-)

Old 06-21-2003, 02:49 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

diabetic animal

Hello all, I had an older siberian husky that was diabetic a few years back. It's not too difficult to give the shots, and monitor urine for insulin levels if you love the animal. As time passes it becomes harder for the animal to control his/her 'urges', and that makes it more of a challenge. My husky lived at least a year on humulin (dog insulin), before he let me know it was time. I just wanted to let you know what to expect, after all the advice and tips that people are sharing about the airstream experience around here. thanks again from a wanabee (at least so far). luke
luke warm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 04:01 PM   #28
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Thanks luke warm

This is my second diabetic cat. My long-hair Siamese died in 1997 at 12. Pretty sad near the end, I know. She died in my arms.

The shots are a nothing; he doesn't even know he is getting them. The last cat was also patient and it became a daily ritual between us for her to be placed on the washing machine for her shot.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 05:29 PM   #29

1968 17' Caravel
Our cat, who we'd had for ten years but was an adult already when we adopted her, so we don't know how old she really was, just passed away last December. She was going downhill the last month with heart problems, and part of the treatment while we were hoping she would recover was to get fluids administered under the skin daily, which involved a needle and an IV, and it took two of us to do it and she had to sit still and put up with it for about ten minutes. Unfortunately she got worse and finally we had to do the right thing by her, though it was hard. First pet we've had to 'put to sleep'. I have to say though, she was a good little patient and put up with the daily fluids and medicines she had to take. She'd always been a little stand-offish, I think she kind of liked all the attention towards the end.

Now that we're getting to travel a little more though, we are trying to resist getting another cat. I can't imagine travelling with a cat and the dogs. I'd be afraid the cat would sneak out and get lost while on a trip. Keeping track of the two dogs is enough trouble.

Old 06-22-2003, 12:36 PM   #30
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, out of two polls that I recall, it would seem that we Airstreamers like our guns and our pets..... and not really in that order either!

I happen to be with the majority on this one too. I love having Penny out with us... although she never really quite got her other dog skills refined!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote