Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2003, 10:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
My new "baby" is home!!!!

Got back too late Monday night with the new (to me at least) 1978 Tradewind International. It's a double bed in back with a dinette in front, and in very nice condition, too.

The outside needs some rivets replaced, as it looks like one of the front quarters was replaced at some point in the past with Brand X steel rivets. And it needs the usual clearcoat strip and polishing, but's for another day.

It's got three minor issues:

1. The exhaust fan in the bathroom squeals like a piggy - it needs a few drops of oil or a new motor. No biggie - that's under control.

2. The check valve that's supposed to keep fresh water from squirting back out the city water hose connection when you turn the pump on is not functional. Interim Solution: A hose plug in the inlet. I'll post another question about where the check valve is in another forum.

3. This one may or may not be so minor: I've got a drip off the bottom of the fresh water tank. Looks like I've got two consecutive concentric reducers threaded into the bottom of the tank, and it's between the largest reducer and the tank itself. I'll be posting some more questions about it, but if you have any info, like "what is the tank made of?" and "how do I seal this up without introducing chemical toxins into the water supply?" let me know!!

I towed this puppy home some 900 miles with a 2001 Tahoe, factory tow package, 5.3 L motor, Tekonsha Prodigy, and a Reese Dual Cam.

I couldn't be happier with the setup. Semis passing? No problemo! I had 1 out of probably 30 that caused even perceptable sway, and it had some unique aerodynamic stuff one it - plus he was really hauling. We hit some cross winds on the passes coming into Phoenix that were probably I-kid-you-not a minimum of 50 miles an hour, and we made it thru. Both the trailer and the Tahoe were rocking, but slow and easy made it home.

So, many, many thanks to everyone for all the excellent advice that allowed me to get it back home with a minimum of anguish!

More later!

drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Fantastic~

Job well done..~!

It's never easy the first trip but, after that, you're a "pro" now..
I don't have any ans to your concerns but, as you said the fan in the bathroom is an easy fix..(You might check to see if you still have the rubber seal around the lip on the inside of the cover..I know that was one thing I was missing when I picked up mine.
Again, congrats on a fine trip~!~
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 11:38 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Wow !!!

That's just what we've been looking for! (I think...) Is the dinette on the streetside or the curbside? How long is your new baby?

We interested in finding something in the 25-31' range with a double bed, and a streetside dinette... is this it?!
Old 07-24-2003, 03:15 PM   #4
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Congratulations DR
I must say I did wonder about you several times after you posted
last week whether you were going to get home ok and/or if you were still out there on the side of the road fixing something.
900 mi. IS a long way the first time out.
But you made it.
I was rooting for you.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Congratulations!

You have us beat with 900 miles. I truly thought that we were "crazy" towing the thing 800 miles the very first time! But like you say - it was just fine.

Glad you made it back home safely! We hope you enjoy many, many more safe trips.
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
DarkStar, it's a 25 foot...

....Tradewind, with the dinette in the front center. So the long axis of the table is on the centerline on the trailer.

I've been keeping pretty quiet about where this unit was coming from, as I know there's a lot of folks looking for one. The family that sold me this was real nice, and the price was quite reasonable.

So far, I've had to spend a whole $6.00 in repairs! And all it needs now is a couple of drops of oil in the bathroom fan, and a 13" color TV!

...and I don't mean to make you feel bad, but it came from Colorado...
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:44 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

drboyd -

Don't worry, we're a few months away anyway. So, the dinette is right in front? Is there a couch too? How about the windows, more Safari-like or more classic-like? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't know about this model!

Thanks,

darkStar