Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2004, 03:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Just starting to look!

I have a 1968 22' Land Yacht that I have been using for Summer music festivals that I attend alone for the most part. Its refered to as the "mobile boar's nest". My wife and I have tried it a couple times, but we think its really too small for the 2 of us.

Next we tried a 1994 30' Excella but that was too long for crowded festival camp grounds and we didn't like the dinette set-up that much. I kept the '68 'cause I ain't letting go until I find something that I'm sure is gonna replace it.

Now with her retirement approaching in the Spring, we're looking for a newer 25' rear twin, wide body. Maybe that will fill the bill. I was wondering if folks that have one could give me some feed back on what they think of 'em, good and bad. Are they large enough for extended tours, storage space, what would you like different etc. etc.

I'm in Northern Michigan and was thinking of looking maybe down in Florida, 'cause being a wide body it would have to be somewhat newer and I thought that maybe one would be available if it didn't fill the bill for someone who finds they don't like trailer living for extended periods. Anyway thay's my current thinking, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Lee
clund(at)freeway,net (Scammers can't copy that)
Fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Smile

greetings and felicitations:
welcome to the forum..you have considerably more experience, thenwhen i started...im posting because my florida experience was less then enjoyable..this summer when i was looking, i saw a rig on the net.. price was right,looked good...drove nonstop from chicago to be disappointed...needless to say..."needs a little tlc"...it was a dog...there must be another meaning for tlc....so much for fla...as always consider length of trips..lifestyle...do you cook, or prefer restaurants..unless you rehab...size of rig determines size of reefer..and does your tow vehicle meet criteria...im still not used to my 30 ft..(was looking for a 28)..and am hoping things will smooth out this year....best of luck in your search.
norby
p.s. big problems with mold and mildew in fla.

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 10:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

We have found the 25' to be perfect for the two of us. It is easy to tow (although my '85 weighs about 1,000 lbs less than the later model Classic), easy to fit into campsites, and yet we could live in it more or less indefinitely.

My floorplan is rather uncommon (click on "photos" below), and it has substantially more storage than a twin bed arrangement, but even taking that into account I think you will find the storage to be excellent in the 25'.

The one real drawback is the galley. We found it to be functionally useless as supplied by the factory. I mention this because it remains unchanged in the factory floorplans to this day. I had to rebuild the galley cabinet to make it workable - well, more than workable. It is now quite useable.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Thumbs up

great pix mark:
your rig is really SCHWEET!!
norby
p.s. that was really a great location for the propane lamp

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Hunter's 25' Excella is an also rare wide-body version of Mark's trailer, which gives more room between the bed and the wardrobe/vanity. Hers has the microwave above the refrigerator, so there was no need to sacrifice the gas oven for it. She fulltimes in this trailer with her pets. Obviously, Mark's modifications to the countertop gives the 25 some much needed counterspace.

This rare twin wardrobe/4-drawer vanity layout is about the only 25' I'd consider for two people for any extended length of time. I'd personally leave the writing table up with a notebook computer on it, and use the lift up table as needed for dining.