Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Watts are watts, there's no magic in Edenpure or "Amish Heater" or whatever. The Dyson everyone raves about is probably only more pleasing because it has a proper thermostat and perhaps different airflow characteristics than most. Other than the quality of the thermostat and differences in sound (fan vs. convection, loud fan vs. quiet, etc) you're going to get a very similar amount of heat from any 1500w electric heater.

The "magic" in the EdenPURE is in the type of heating element, and there appears to be 3 different models with 3 different types of heating elements. The "magic" is in the design- that it won't burn you or start a fire- and that it effectively warms a room- reportedly without running the light bill too much-
__________________

__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #30
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The "magic" in the EdenPURE is in the type of heating element, and there appears to be 3 different models with 3 different types of heating elements.
The real "trick" is that intake air is passed by the heating element three times before being blown into the room, so there's less waste heat. If you have less waste heat, you use less energy to provide the same usable heat.

But other than the airflow inside the box, it's not a whole lot different from any other electric space heater.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #31
TinCan
 
graysailor's Avatar

 
2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 798
Using the furnace at night is completely safe. With regards to CO detectors they now have them with a 10 year battery life for around $40.00. Can be found at ACE, Home Depot, Lowe's etc.
__________________
TinCan
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The real "trick" is that intake air is passed by the heating element three times before being blown into the room, so there's less waste heat. If you have less waste heat, you use less energy to provide the same usable heat.

But other than the airflow inside the box, it's not a whole lot different from any other electric space heater.
Sorry, I could not resist. There is no "waste heat" with an electric heater. Each watt converts into 3.41 btu. It does not disappear somewhere into "waste", never to heat anything.

If your television takes 100 watts, it heats the room at the rate of 341 btu. The energy which goes to the screen and comes out as light and the sound energy all winds up as heat in the room. It is not wasted.

If any electric heater is 1000 watts and you use it for one hour, it will add 3410 btuh (british thermal units per hour) to the room.

If you ran the 100 watt television for an hour, it would add 341 btuh to the room.

As stated by DBSATX, there is no magic about any electric heater. Equal watts produces equal heat. Advertising does not change physics, as much as the writers would like to have you believe it does.
__________________
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #33
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Sorry, I could not resist. There is no "waste heat" with an electric heater. Each watt converts into 3.41 btu. It does not disappear somewhere into "waste", never to heat anything.

If your television takes 100 watts, it heats the room at the rate of 341 btu. The energy which goes to the screen and comes out as light and the sound energy all winds up as heat in the room. It is not wasted.

If any electric heater is 1000 watts and you use it for one hour, it will add 3410 btuh (british thermal units per hour) to the room.

If you ran the 100 watt television for an hour, it would add 341 btuh to the room.

As stated by DBSATX, there is no magic about any electric heater. Equal watts produces equal heat. Advertising does not change physics, as much as the writers would like to have you believe it does.
Not strictly true. Not all energy is heat. There is a whole lot more to the electromagnetic spectrum than just infrared. And physics tells us that the law of entropy always applies. You have to put more energy into any system than the usable energy you get out of it. The trick is to minimize entropic losses.

You are correct that the same amount of electricity that goes to the heating element will produce the same heat. But not all of the energy that goes into a heater necessarily goes to the heating element.

But I'll admit you caught me in a mistake. (Mark your calendar; I admitted it!) I was imprecise in referring to "waste heat" when I should have said "wasted energy."
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #34
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The real "trick" is that intake air is passed by the heating element three times before being blown into the room, so there's less waste heat. If you have less waste heat, you use less energy to provide the same usable heat.

But other than the airflow inside the box, it's not a whole lot different from any other electric space heater.

Our washing machine bit the dust, so a trip to the appliance store-
While there I saw what appeared to be an EdenPURE, but was some other brand that costs half as much. I wonder if it is any good...
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,828
The oil filled electric heaters are great because they are silent and won't catch anything on fire, but the lack of a fan causes it to cool a smaller area.
Regardless of how it works, some electric heaters are better than others because some have cabinets that are not hot to the touch- won't burn the kids or the cats- and will not catch blankets or curtains on fire and are less noisy.
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member
 
Luigi123's Avatar
 
2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 321
We use the eden Pure, keeps the 30 ft around 67 through the night, the key is to get it started asap before temperature drops too low.
__________________
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member
 
Ron A's Avatar
 
2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 244
Recently purchased a 2015 sport 16 ft. Checked the list of standard features and it says it has a LPG, smoke & carbon monoxide detector.


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________
Ron
Ron A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #38
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not strictly true. Not all energy is heat. There is a whole lot more to the electromagnetic spectrum than just infrared. And physics tells us that the law of entropy always applies. You have to put more energy into any system than the usable energy you get out of it. The trick is to minimize entropic losses.

You are correct that the same amount of electricity that goes to the heating element will produce the same heat. But not all of the energy that goes into a heater necessarily goes to the heating element.

But I'll admit you caught me in a mistake. (Mark your calendar; I admitted it!) I was imprecise in referring to "waste heat" when I should have said "wasted energy."
If all the energy which goes into an electric heater does not go into the heating element, where does it go? If there is a fan, some would go into it, but like the heating element, all of that energy is converted into heat, some in the motor heating up, some in the heat put into moving the air.

In an incandescent electric light, about 95% of the input energy (95 watts out of 100) are converted directly into heat, the other 5% is converted into light, and when that light hits objects in the room, it heats them up (very minutely, but it does) so that 5% is converted back into heat. So, ultimately all 100% of the watts put into the light come out into the room as heat.

Yes, in a mechanical system you must put more energy into a system than you get out of it, which is why there is no perpetual motion machines, but that is not the conversion of electrical energy into other forms of energy. It all comes out as heat, it all degrades to heat.

Dontcha just love it when engineers argue.....lol. It is all good fun, but the bottom line is that electric heaters with the same input watts have equal heat output. They are all 100% efficient in converting electrical energy into heat energy.

Some may make a human feel different, especially ones which emit more radiant energy, or ones which keep the temperature more even from floor to ceiling, but none produces more heat in btu's per watt.

And now we have drifted the OP's original question WAY off track. Sorry OP.
__________________
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:38 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member
 
benicia , California
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 96
No worries. I am learning a lot reading all your thoughts.
__________________
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #40
Wise Elder
 
Jammer's Avatar
 
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
My brother-in-law, owner of an SOB, says I should not use the furnace as it runs on propane while we sleep due to possible carbon monoxide leaks. He says to buy a small electric heater. The AS has a propane leak detector but not yet a CO leak detector. Does anyone use a portable electric heater instead of their furnace?
The propane furnace is safe if it is installed and maintained properly. If more than a few years old it should be inspected every year or two and replaced if the heat exchanger is failing.

In general a portable electric heater won't provide enough heat in cold weather. They generally pose a higher risk of fire than a permanently installed furnace, and you can't run them without electricity.

Electric heaters powered by generators pose a serious CO risk from the generator.
__________________

__________________
To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using frig while in transit B&J On The Road... 64 07-04-2015 07:42 AM
Battery life while using furnace? xo1rider Boondocking 14 06-13-2013 10:05 AM
Fresh water being used while using full hookup xo1rider Fresh Water Systems 6 01-18-2013 03:07 PM
Fridge on or off while not using moho? Alumatube Refrigerators 5 08-14-2007 10:36 AM
Using gas water heater while in transit phippsto On The Road... 3 01-24-2006 07:18 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.