Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2003, 08:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

grateful user

interesting discussion regarding organizing and or improving information. this absolutely could be a full time job, a public forum would not and could not survive without the tireless efforts of volunteers. as an example we formed a community group to keep developers and our elected officials in check. what started out as a simple idea became very large very fast. in 1 years time we became a group with which has a true voice in the shaping of our city and community. what I have learned is that everyone has something to offer even when you do not always agree, everyone has different skill sets and things to offer. I am new, never owned an airstream prior to this( yes my 87 27'argosy is an airstream squarestream whatever. I feel fortunate to have found not only the trailer but this forum I am in the begining steps of repair and restoration of what will be a wonderful trailer when done. biggest problem I have is not knowing what the correct terminology is for the different parts,or even what they are called.tried to order exterior rubber replacements I do not know what is a rub rail, bumper, nosing etc. gave my trailer id # was told twice that was not a valid # I was fortunate to of been given all original delivery items from po silverkey binder original window sticker with added features which plant assembled etc. had to fax everything to parts supplier because they did not believe it was a valid # I even sent pictures of all areas that I needed replacement rubber and # each area to help them understand what I wanted to buy they had no problem understanding my credit card # , the information I come across on this forum has been invaluable, I was ready to reinstall vinyl flooring and carpet but after reading the feedback regarding dirt and carpet etc now I am either going to use laminate flooring or cork instead. as everything could be improved you make do with what you have if the forum needs more help or services on improving everyone has something to offer the fortunate ones to have the word retired in the name may have time maybe not the ones with technical skills may have knowledge others like myself may have computer equipment servers etc sitting idle with any shared forum it is the efforts of all and resposibility to give back to make it succeed again I am gratefull to have found these forums
Old 03-28-2003, 09:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks for the comments.
I have been here since the very start, and being a fairly recent Airstream owner ( 2 years) but a somewhat competent restorer of cars and other things for many years, I have learned a ton here. I print out the items I really feel are important to me, and that will work for me....and save them in a notebook. I have great winterizing tips, mechanical and interior ideas, and enough suggested upgrades and future dream planes that I could never do them all.

This site has saved me a lot of money in wasted repairs, and motivated me even more to try to do the things myself. I guess i could add a big thanks to the experienced and sharing members here!!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm pretty new myself. The fine folks at this site are incredibly helpfull and in the short period of time I have been here I have learned a bunch.
Cudos to the folks here.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:34 AM   #4
pap

I think (hope) it goes without saying that we (members) are all grateful for this (and all the other) forums existance.
Kudos to Organic Hosting. For footing the bill so far.

It is often said that this is a public forum.I don't think so. It is a privately owned entity which allows public participation.
The sad but true fact is that it all could disappear tomorrow for any number of reasons. The expertise, information, opinion, humor, and photographs and graphics that members place here become the property of the ownership. I have read Organic Hosting's reason for starting this forum and I believe it. (I'll try to edit back the URL to it if I can find it again). But I have learned that on the Web things change quickly at times. For that reason I would feel the data here more secure if the entity was owned by the membership. Do I have a plan for how that big-order could come about..? ..No.
I recall this concern was early on raised by "motorhome Fred".

There does seem to be an emphasis on more and more members and IMHO a relaxation of thread indexing. I have no problem with large number of members, but am curious (never having any experience in the Hosting business) whether that number has anything to do with marketing a site to advertisers and raising the sites potential sale value. I know from experience that marketing trumps service at all times when marketing is dealing the cards.

I too ALANSD, am copying and downloading as much of the data as I practically can, as a contingency against something wiping out this wonderful archive. It is interesting that you were here at the start,
were you just surfing or were you involved in the start up before hand?

I somewhat hesitate to express these thoughts since I noticed the owner closing the previous thread which touched on the forum and suggested improvements. I carefully read (and agreed to) the agreement that gave him right to edit or remove anything any of us places here. If changes, ideas, suggestions for improvement and discussions of "purchase" by the "stockholders" are not wanted by the management I would honor that request and be silent.

To Mr.Capp' welcome aboard and good luck with your upgrades, and please remember that being grateful does not stop the wheels from turning in one's mind to constantly improve and grow. Isn't that the American way? My greatest desire is that this forum never dies or loses one byte of useful data.
pap is offline   Reply With Quote