Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
Air # 3974

1986 34' Excella
south bend , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drcharles2 Send a message via Yahoo to drcharles2
dr. c. responds....barely alive

As a virgin to this forum, or any forum for that matter, I was overwhelmed at the response to my first post. The cascade of smiley icons (and the deviants thereof) were like taking a Sunday stroll through the Wal-Mart, after the little caped Zorro has slashed prices. I enjoyed them all, the positive and the negative, and even the most visceral comments in the private message section. I was informed, privately, that no A/S ever "dies", everything is salvaged and that 90% of all aluminum is recycled for use in the beverage industry. I, for one, however, find little solace in the knowledge that a container in my hand was once an integral part of the auxilary holding tank in a 1967 Caravelle.

I have two confessions. First, I am not, I repeat, not a real doctor. Dr. C. is only a fictitious screen name, a form of electronic anonimity. I have aspired to be Dr. Pepper, Dr. Scholl, Dr. J., Dr. Dre, Dr. Phil, and the rug doctor, but thwarted by the absence of actual talent.....I can't quench thirst, soothe aching feet, slam dunk, rap, clean carpets, or soothe the socially ravaged by asking, "and how is that working for you ?", I was forced into a day job.

Second, even prior to my first post ( is there a silly grinned smiley with an embarrassed red face ?), I was considering naming my trailer. I admit it, and now feel much better. Narrowed down to four choices, they are as follows.

No. 4. The Udder House. Here's the schtick. Engage a surgeon, skilled in aluminum fabrication, to perform a mammoplastic augmentation, often referred to as a breast enhancement, but most commonly known in vulgar street slang ....(alert, alert, this is a family forum with respectful rules), so I'm not allowed to tell you that it rhymes with Tube Mob. This procedure would manifest itself in the form of a double slide-out, located slightly fore cabin in a, say, 84 inch, quadruple G size, then an exterior treatment in a camoflauge of Gateway guernsey. O.k., o.k., so it's a groaner. But admit it, isn't the design concept somewhat intriguing ?

No. 3. Another private message suggested in rather strong language that I might be an effete, erudite elitist, whatever those words mean. I assumed it to be uncomplimentary, accompanied by worrisome side effects. She was particulary incensed by the reference to 'little whores', and at this juncture I would like to apologize for being offensive. I'm truly sorry. I wish I could take it back. The remark was directed only at the trailers and did not imply that the owners might be guilty of any irresponsible social or legal behavior. Her suggestion....The Slut Hut. Pretty catchy. My loyal wife, with a barely audible sigh, eyes rolling reverently skyward, ageed..."only if you want to spend the rest of your life alone". Still, I liked it.

No 2. Rocinante. After the legendary steed of Cervantes' Don Quixote and made even more popular by Americas' greatest novelist, John Steinbeck, in his travels with Charley. Both forum contributors, the Navigator, and maxandgeorgia have a finger on this literary pulse. But Steinbeck and his one-eared large poodle were campers, real campers. My two elderly dogs, WrongWay and ReWind, both the result of generations of hasty, unplanned dog sex and their owner have some class, all third, so we'll never be in the league of John, Charley, and Rocinante the truck camper. Besides, it would border on plagiarism, an ugly word in the dictionary, somewhere between pitiful and puke. There are other crimes I'd rather commit.

No. 1. Speaking of crimes, it seems apparent that Elvis is not going to resurface anytime soon. Coupled with the reality that we're no longer welcome in Memphis, in re, a permanent injunction, in spite of the fact that the trumped-up, phony felony indictment (which was later overturned in an appeals court) never led to a conviction.....led us to No. 1.......
Disgraceland.

So that's it. Help me out on this, because most of the good names have already been taken. And if you respond, please be both kind and patient, because where I'm being held now, they only allow one phone call out a week. In the interim, I'm still working on the definition of "is", while enjoying a can of cold Coors Light, which I might say, tastes curiously like.

dishwater ??

Cheers,
Dr. C.
drcharles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I am not sure, I think you asked for help with a name? Maybe? If so, how about Chrome Torpedo? After all, an Airstream is silver, and more-or-less torpedo shaped...
But if you use this name, I will disavow all knowledge of your actions. Good luck, Dr. C. This post will (hopefully) self destruct.
Terry
Old 02-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

HECATE,
Hellenic goddess. She is the bestower of wealth and all the blessings of daily life.
Goddess who presides over magic arts and spells.
On moonlight nights she was seen at the crossroads accompanied by ghosts and hell hounds.
Pillars like the Hermae called Hecataea stood at doorways to keep away evil spirits.
I just love metaphors.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Dr.C,

Got any Pink Floyd?? If so, put on the "Dark Side of the Moon" album and smoke a fatty, I am sure a name will come to you soon.

Keep the posts coming, now where did I put my rubber boots??

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:38 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Re: dr. c. responds....barely alive

Quote:
Originally posted by drcharles2
... I, for one, however, find little solace in the knowledge that a container in my hand was once an integral part of the auxilary holding tank in a 1967 Caravelle.
Just had to point out that the actual holding tank is fiberglass, and hardly likely to be recycled into anything you'd find yourself drinking out of. And it's Caravel. Pet peeve of mine...

You're slipping though, I don't think this post is going to p**s off nearly as many people as the last one!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
You can write but where is the repartee?

Dr, Come back and answer your responders. I can agree with you on the last--I can't stand lite beer in any flavor. Give me a Guinness anytime.

The name of your Airstream will come with time. I hadn't even thought about it for mine.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

the name game

hey Dr C

You know you really don't have to name it, after all it is just a trailer.

But if you want a name I have read that a good place to start is to name it after the original owner. This is where I would submit a smilie face.

Tom & Betsy
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:48 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I named mine after the original owner, but really we just call it 'the trailer'. I used to name all the vehicles, but now there's been too many to count, and I've given up on the cutesy stuff. It's all I can do to keep them all on the road!

BTW, Gryphon, what's with your sig line? It puzzles me everytime I read it

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:08 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Dr Dr Dr .....

Do they pay you on a per word basis??

Sometimes less is more??

Maybe you should stop typing about your trailer ......
and simply go camping in your Airstream (Excella).

Oh, and thats its name .... Airstream Excella

Dont forget to take your (named) dog BART. Who by the by has probably not ever
Quote:
has never had a headache, a pap smear, a menstrual cycle, a digital rectal exam, a flu shot, nor a boyfriend that beat up the babysitter.
but still has a name and a place in your heart.

D
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:16 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
the name game

Dr. C.

Of course assuming your airstream is female, I don't know if my is just because of the shape.

However, you could name her Helen. That would be after the famous Helen of Troy. You know the face that launched a thousand ships.

And yours is the ship that launched a thousand snips.

Loved reading your posts, don't stay away, a little levity is good for the soul.

Mark
Old 02-16-2004, 11:18 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Talking

Hey Doc,
How about "The Tin Can Clinic"? You could hang a sign on it saying "The Doc Is In....sane" Just kidding! Humor is good! Don't stop writing.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Thought this thread needed a ReWind. It's been a year.
What did he name it?

Actually since literary pulses were mentioned I have a question.
Seems when I was young the comics had a sub-character named Big Humphrey who pulled his house (trailer) around behind his bicycle.
For some reason I am thinking Pogo but maybe it was Li'l Abner strip.
And for some reason I am thinking it was shaped like an Airstream, but was probably a teardrop.
Anyone have a clue what or who or where I am recalling?

Your Friend,
Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:23 PM   #13
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Angry solved?

I noticed that Dr. C's signature now includes the names:

huggin' duhs
air scream

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
What did he name it?

Actually since literary pulses were mentioned I have a question.
Seems when I was young the comics had a sub-character named Big Humphrey who pulled his house (trailer) around behind his bicycle.
For some reason I am thinking Pogo but maybe it was Li'l Abner strip.
And for some reason I am thinking it was shaped like an Airstream, but was probably a teardrop.
Anyone have a clue what or who or where I am recalling?

Your Friend,
Flicka
how can you be "hitnmiss" when you are a Flicka?...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #15
Air # 3974

1986 34' Excella
south bend , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drcharles2 Send a message via Yahoo to drcharles2
Flicka...tickling the memory

Dear HitNMiss,
Thanks for the resurrection. The dogs are named ReWind and WrongWay, but the trailer is the "Huggin' Duhs Air Scream" which appeared in a later post.

Coming from a family where literary tradition leaned heavily toward the picture postcard, your question about 'Humphrey' is intriguing. Living in Gary, In. during WWII, a father off fighting the yellow peril, our entertainment (no TV) was the funny papers....today's comic pages. The Chicago Tribune had the deepest talent. I faintly remember a tear drop trailer pulled by a bicycle, although amnesia rears its ugly head and I can't recall the character Humphrey, but perhaps "Skeezix" in the Gasoline Alley strip ? Another possibility, Moon Mullins, featured a series of low-life characters, aside from Mr. Plushbottom. And Smokey Stover drove the foomobile, but I think that was a two-wheeled fire truck. Pogo was mostly animals, but Lil' Abner could have been a possibility.

Only 5 years old, my brother and I cut out each days "Dick Tracy", our Dad's favorite comic and mailed them every month to the south pacific. More than fifty years later, when he died at age 87, we found all those old comic strips in his personal effects, amber and fragile with age. Each one was carefully folded and arranged by date. He had carried them in his gear for 30 months through the mayhem of tropical warfare, sharing them with fellow Marines, and to our astonishment had stashed them away for five decades. Unable to control the tears (the fate of square jawed detective daring feats had been cast, if only in a cartoon form), we decided to place them in the casket with his dog tags.

Thanks again. I hope someone can recall the character Humphrey for you.

Dr. C.
drcharles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:10 PM   #16
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcharles2
No. 1. Speaking of crimes, it seems apparent that Elvis is not going to resurface anytime soon. Dr. C.
Elvis coulda beat the crap outta Michael Jackson. Somebody should.
drcharles2, please don't get a hernia trying to pull the sword from the stone you have cast your name in.
You are a voice of calm in this sea of rotten floors, a beacon in the night that would surely calm troubled waters if only you had chosen to service your univolt. (pssst....safe is away from the rocks).
I have read numerous scandals on the royal family and am therefore an expert on the topic.
I dub thee Sir drcharles2, keeper of the torch of humor in these forums and I would dub the bow of your vessel too if only I could afford a bottle of champagne.
Or maybe I would drink it.
Yeah, I would drink it.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcharles2

Moon Mullins, featured a series of low-life characters,

and mamie with her tattoo was the posterchild for our present generation young skulles full of mush.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 04:29 PM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
What did he name it?

Seems to me that any trailer named Humphrey should be parked in my drive...

Janet Humphrey

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote