Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2003, 05:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
AOL and participating in polls

Am I the only one with AOL that has trouble (read that cannot participate/vote) with polls on this site? Kistler

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 06:21 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
You are not the only one

I believe we established before that there is a problem with aol and polls.
Someone with aol could try using Internet Explorer or Netscape and then try to vote on poll. If that works, the problem would be with aols browser software.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 09:57 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Kistler,

Been there and done that. You need to walk from AOHELL. A day does not go by where one of my 2200 end users does not complain that AOL acts up with the rest of the world.

For being #1 they sure do have problems. Even a $9.99/month ISP would work better. Granted you don't get all the warm fuzzies of AOL, but it just is bad news and only takes about a month of being on the web before you reailze that AOL sucks and you have feet(choices).

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 06:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Yes, I admit it, I still use AOL. I kept the account even after I got DSL, because it is easy to use on the road.

That being said, the browser in AOL isn't much of a browser - what I do is use AOL to connect, then (while staying connected), minimize the AOL window and launch Internet Explorer - you can then browse to your heart's content and avoid the AOL browser and its shortcomings.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 07:22 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
MOBILITY

As with anything that has competition........

there are pros and cons to everything.

There are many of us who travel extensively.

Most of your $9.99 ISP Providers do not have the access lines all over the world.

You can actually get free ISP, but you get what you pay for.

I have literally used AOL all over the world.
My local phone company has ISP but I cannot access it from the next county much less Japan.

AOL cost the most because they have the largest following and demand. With that comes more numbers to deal with and compare relatively.
I am guessing but I would say that approximately 10 % percent of any population is going to complain about something.

The beautiful thing about America is that we all can spend our money wherever we like and with that comes the luxury of complaining whenever we like.

I wonder how many Iraqis are complaining about AOL today?
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 07:32 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I know that the 9.95 ones are not international, however, a fair number of them are fairly national.

Granted AOL has the saturation of dial in lines across the country, however, a bit of research can pay off here I think. For example, my dad is an avid dial up man. He found that sysmatrix.net had numbers here and at his camp up north in the woods.

He saved about $10+ a month going that route. I know others results will vary......

Personally, most of our users are finding that AOL is the interent on training wheels. It does have a nitch, but those that can get out from under it, I would strongly suggest you look at the options and make the call with the facts in hand. Now, if you're not computer savvy, then AOL is your best bet. Put the in-laws on it cause they need the training wheels (ease of use), but after a year of so when they get the hang of it, it's off to the ISP they'll go cause it makes sense in their case.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 07:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
So, should I get MSN? Stupid me, it came with my laptop and I cancelled it.

I like/need my second phone line for the fax so I don't want anything but dial-up......money concerns, you know

Did one of you say that I can use AOL to get connected and then switch to another browser?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Old 03-30-2003, 08:09 AM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Kistler
.......Did one of you say that I can use AOL to get connected and then switch to another browser?
Yes, you can. If you do it, please report back on the polling issue.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Wow, it works. Thank you for this advice. Once again I am grateful to have found this forum.

All I had to do was minimize AOL (actually, I covered it up) and open the Microsoft Explorer browser in programs--that covered up the AOL screen.

The "new" screen is larger too.

Thank you again

Kistler

2002 Classic 25'