Old 09-14-2007, 07:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Do it!

Either with the queen or the twins, the 27 FB is great. I've got the 25 FB SE Safari, and I really like it, but here again it may be a "girl" thing, but the limited hanging space is starting to get to me. I bought off the dealer's lot and got the bedroom without the pano windows - which I don't think is negative. I sleep in the bedroom, and the CCD and Safari curtains are NOT room darkening. The venetian blinds do a much better job of completely darkening the room IMHO. I've noticed how much I love the rear panos because they don't have the dark stone guards on them.

You'll be itching until you scratch it. So if you can afford it, do it.

Paula

Old 09-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
some more thoughts

hi again,

Paula makes a good point on the front pano windows in the bedroom. it really opens it up, and we like them, but the CCD and Safari curtains will not block the sun enough if light bothers you while sleeping. And, the windows will let in more heat and cold, depending on the time of year. Again, it is all about trade-offs and personal preferences.

Of course, it sounds as though if you go with what is on your dealers lot, you may not have the choice. Which brings up another point. Get want you want and not just what they have, unless of course the deal is so smoking good that it will sway the difference. Brand new Airstreams are not scarce, you can get exactly what you want, just think how long you are gonna keep this one. Be patient, the pieces will all fit.

John

Old 09-14-2007, 10:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Since you're not full-timing, you'd be surprised at how little room you need to stash your clothing, and other personal belongings. Part of the fun of camping is leaving all the "doesn't matters" behind. Keeping it simple can be a huge relief. On a recent 2 week trip, we realized that we had over-packed, and still had plenty of room for more.
If you plan on doing much boondocking in the beautiful Sierras--so close to where you live--a 27' will be a real handicap. We barely nudge our 25' into gorgeous State Park and Forest Service campgrounds that often specify 22' as their maximum...The sites themselves are huge and private, studded with granite boulders and magnificent pines and redwoods. However, the actual parking pads are very limited in the size of rig they can accommodate.
We also like the twin bed configuration, because it not only allows for lots of outside storage, but also gives us more "floor space" indoors. The separate shower/bath are also terrific. The dinette easily converts to a very cosy lounge area.
We are amazed every time out that this lucky configuration is just our style. Above all else, we love having pano windows on both ends, and the dinette overlooking the views...Early risers, the morning sun is a non-issue.
Best of luck in your decision, and happy and safe travels!
Old 09-15-2007, 10:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
Hi Cosmotini
did you get the queen or twin bed config? Paprika or cilantro?
We got the queen bed and cilantro color scheme.

Also upgraded to 15k air conditioner and full awnings. With the 2 skylights and 2 fantastic fans letting light/heat in, I thought the larger A/C was worth the upgrade.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
we did it

Thanks guys for all the input.
We listened to Paula and did it! Thanks Paula
Yesterday we brought home our new 2008 Int 27' FB in Cilantro with the queen bed! What a difference 3 feet make.
So many positives!.....
Pano windows in the front and rear sure open things up.
Great bed centered in the bedroom (an actual bedroom with night stands)
Now there's a place to put our morning cup of coffee.
No more backaches from making the corner bed.
We were surprised when we did the walk through that the whole bed lifts up for storage underneath.
The kitchen sink is easier to use...no more bumping our head on the cabinet above or slouching to avoid the cabinet.
With two young boys the dark brown cushions make more sense. (at least we won't see the dirt)
The best thing about this set up is the bathroom. (you know what I mean if you have the 25' SS)
The only negative thing about this trailer is......we have a slightly higher monthly payment. (but it's a larger IRS write off!)

You only live once!

Dennis
Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours.

Air #4056

Old 09-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
Hey Dennis
How is the draw under the dinette seat mounted in your unit? (the short bench) Looks like our's may be mounted wrong. Seems like it should be set back flush to the bench leg. The side of the draw is the first thing you see when climbing into the unit. Looks a bit "unfinished"
Dennis
Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
I don't recall. I'll be getting it this weekend and get some pics.

Air #4056

Old 09-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Congratulations on your new baby. You made the right choice for all the reasons you mentioned. I couldn't imagine loving our unit as much if we had to sleep in the corner. The centered queen is what sold my wife. We don't have a problem with too much sun and we have the panoramic window in the bedroom. The tinted rock guards seem to keep things dark enough. They also allow lots of privacy as you cannot see in from outside during the day. Lots of fun watching people look at our unit when they don't know anybody is looking back at them. I do get too much light from the vent so I put a thermo cover on which keeps the bedroom dark enough.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Congrats!

Congratulations on new trailer.. That 27' FB is one of the most lovable floorplans in the catalog...

Nobody said much about towing or handling or weight, but I think the differences are negligable... If you have a long tape measure, you may find the difference is less than 3' or even 2' from your old 25... Our 25 is almost 26' long, according to the Stanley people.. The 27 might be a few inches less than 27'...

And if you pull into a state or county park with limits and they ask, tell them confidently that it is a 25' long trailer.. They don't have tape measures, and will never know the difference...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
It will be worth the cost and hassle just for the bathroom.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
You said it....the 25 SS bathroom was a joke.
For those of you have have the "cilantro" decor.....we found some storage containers at "The Container Store" in the exact same fabric as the throw pillows. (the circle pattern) lined up four of them in the upper storage unit above the dinette. (looks really nice). I'm also installing some draws in the large closet to make better use of the space. There's so much storage in this unit. We were able to pack everything from the 25SS in it and still have tons of storage left.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Quote:
Hey Dennis
How is the draw under the dinette seat mounted in your unit? (the short bench) Looks like our's may be mounted wrong. Seems like it should be set back flush to the bench leg. The side of the draw is the first thing you see when climbing into the unit. Looks a bit "unfinished"
Dennis
Here are the pics of the drawer under the dinette seat. Is yours the same?

Do your couch cushions stick out further than the dinette cushion? Ours do by about 2 1/2".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01821 (Large).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	46081   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01823 (Large).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	46082  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01825 (Large).JPG
Views:	56
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	46083  

Air #4056

Old 10-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
2008 27' International FB
Sonoma , California
Quote:
Thanks guys for all the input.
We listened to Paula and did it! Thanks Paula
Yesterday we brought home our new 2008 Int 27' FB in Cilantro with the queen bed! What a difference 3 feet make.
So many positives!.....
Pano windows in the front and rear sure open things up.
Great bed centered in the bedroom (an actual bedroom with night stands)
Now there's a place to put our morning cup of coffee.
No more backaches from making the corner bed.
We were surprised when we did the walk through that the whole bed lifts up for storage underneath.
The kitchen sink is easier to use...no more bumping our head on the cabinet above or slouching to avoid the cabinet.
With two young boys the dark brown cushions make more sense. (at least we won't see the dirt)
The best thing about this set up is the bathroom. (you know what I mean if you have the 25' SS)
The only negative thing about this trailer is......we have a slightly higher monthly payment. (but it's a larger IRS write off!)

You only live once!

Dennis
Funny,

We just ended up doing the same thing; although the bed was as much an issue (at least for me, my wife did not mind it as much) as the toilet. We purchased an International 23 this spring, and we bit the bullet, took the depreciation hit, and just taken delivery of the same thing - an International 27FB in Cilantro - and while we have not had a chance to use it yet, we love it and are quite excited about getting out in it.

And in the small world department Dennis, we live in Tiburon.