Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
25'er vs 27'er

Back again with yet another question.......
We are very close to deciding to take the plunge(and loss) and trade in our 2007 25'er (in the shop for repairs) for a 2008 27'er FB.
The 25'er drives beautifully with our Ford250. You hardly notice it's there sometimes.
With a 27'er will we notice any driving difficulties we don't have now with our 25'er? Will it maneuver about the same going up a curvy hill?
Thanks
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
consider twins

We have a Safari 25FB/SE queen. Can't tell you if a 27FB would pull much different, but I doubt it. Shouldn't be an issue with an F250.

I would like to make one suggestion, I believe the 27FB comes in a queen and twin version. Yes the queen is nice for two together, but consider the twin. It has way more ouside storage and the floorplan feels more open because of the split between the beds, especially if you get the front pano windows. The bedroom with the twins also make for a nice kick back area if there are two couples or kids traveling. If two men are traveling together, boys weekend kinda stuff, two beds in the bedroom are better than one (usually).

I believe I remember the corner bed was one of your decision factors in upsizing, try laying down on the twin, you never know til you try. Don't get me wrong, we love our queen, and it sits sideways, not as good as the 27FB, but it works for us.

It is a personal thing. I think you are doing the right thing no matter what configuration you get, the idea is to really enjoy your home on the road.

John
Old 09-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
Thanks John
It's not so much the corner bed in the 25 SS but the toilet! Absolutely no room! A joke if you ask me.
We have been debating on the Queen vs the Twin. Twin for the reasons you mentioned vs the roominess of the queen bed. We're also debating on the color....paprika vs. cilantro. The cushions in our ocean breeze got very dirty fast with two boys so we're thinking the brown in the Cilantro might be the better choice this time. AND....the dealer has the Q bed version ready for pick up...we won't have to wait until Dec/Jan and can squeeze in a couple of more weekends this year!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
Thanks John
It's not so much the corner bed in the 25 SS but the toilet! Absolutely no room! A joke if you ask me.
We have been debating on the Queen vs the Twin. Twin for the reasons you mentioned vs the roominess of the queen bed. We're also debating on the color....paprika vs. cilantro. The cushions in our ocean breeze got very dirty fast with two boys so we're thinking the brown in the Cilantro might be the better choice this time. AND....the dealer has the Q bed version ready for pick up...we won't have to wait until Dec/Jan and can squeeze in a couple of more weekends this year!

You are in California......it a a year long season

We have the darker colors, year and a half and not a sign of soiling, we have twin 15 year old daughters, need I say more.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
millvalleyca -- Does the 25' CCD have the wider pull out platform for two just aft of the fridge? John is right on about the extra outside storage compartments with the twin arrangment! It makes our 25' a pocket cruiser IMO.

The 27' queen is front-to-back. That's a significant enhancement over the sideways queen of the 25'. The 27' has a larger pantry and hallway wardrobe. Your truck is certainly up to the task. I don't think they'd drive any differently -- they're still double axle widebodies of similar proportions. You already know that your California state parks campground slots are about as tight as anywhere.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I have heard lots of folks say some NP and SP have a 25' limit. We have never run into this, and I don't know that it is an issue for you. Just something to keep in mind.
We saw the 27 FB last spring, boy is that a beauty.

Having said that, we are pretty sure we will stay with our 25' for a long time. Partly due to the above...
Kids don't stick around forever, we rarely hang out inside anyway, so usually have plenty of space. Also, kiddlins tend to set up a tent as they get a little older...

Your F250 will pull anything AS ever made.

Just some more food for thought.

Bill
Old 09-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
The CCD SS has the corner bed right next to the tiny bathroom, a dinette which converts to a small bed (short) and a pull out platform at the front of the trailer.

We don't need that much storage outside we have the big truck!

The layout of the 27FB is so much better than the 25SS. We thought we were CRAZY when we got the 25'er as our first trailer....we started out looking at the 19'er!

The longer we wait to make the trade the more money we loose on the trade in....so do it now or never!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I get it! Your trade-in is a 25' International SS. I guess you were saying that all along. You're looking in the right direction IMO.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
We pull our 27' CCD FB Int'l with an F250 PSD LB CC. It's RWD only.

I can't compare a 25' CCD to a 27' FB but we had a 28' CCD before the 27' FB.

The FB is actually 1 inch longer than the 28' CCD.

I think the tongue weight on the 27' FB is a little less than the 28' CCD but towing seems to be the same.

I did not have to change any settings on the Equal-I-Zer hitch.

We're REALLY happy with the layout of the 27' FB.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
We're REALLY happy with the layout of the 27' FB.
Cosmotini's new FB got my "Best Nonvintage Airstream Award" at our Midwest Rally in June. One person's opinion...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
Hi Cosmotini
did you get the queen or twin bed config? Paprika or cilantro?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
25' is lighter and shorter, you will notice that. Do I really understand correctly that others do not feel a change in size? Maybe that's a "girl" thang but it is different not bad but it is bigger and heavier. DOH.

2' will not break or make the difference in storage or sites or storage, but it will be different. It looks longer too. 25' is more than ample, 27' is bigger, really it is.
If you do not want the queen bed to be center, stay with the 25' perhaps. You will manage on storage space.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
MillValleyCA,

Unless you plan full time travel in the Airstream and need the two larger storage spaces, the closet and the pantry, I don't think the extra length of the 27 over the 25 has any material advantage. Walking around the queen bed might matter, but as John has said, twin beds offer distinct advantages too.

Also, the kitchen sink in the 27 is a "baptismal font" and not a double sink like the one in the 25. That, and the somewhat larger under sink storage, is an important difference for my wife and is another reason for us to hold on to the 25.

We've been living full-time in our 25 for 2 months while we are between houses and find that the storage spaces in the 25 hold more than enough food and clothing, although the hanging space is just a bit tight.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
Hi Myoung
we have the 25SS not the 25FB
the advantages of the 27FB as I see it are...
queen bed not pushed to the corner (hard to make and really a bed for one)
a real bathroom with a real toilet

thanks everyone for your input
Old 09-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Do it!

Either with the queen or the twins, the 27 FB is great. I've got the 25 FB SE Safari, and I really like it, but here again it may be a "girl" thing, but the limited hanging space is starting to get to me. I bought off the dealer's lot and got the bedroom without the pano windows - which I don't think is negative. I sleep in the bedroom, and the CCD and Safari curtains are NOT room darkening. The venetian blinds do a much better job of completely darkening the room IMHO. I've noticed how much I love the rear panos because they don't have the dark stone guards on them.

You'll be itching until you scratch it. So if you can afford it, do it.

Paula
Old 09-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
some more thoughts

hi again,

Paula makes a good point on the front pano windows in the bedroom. it really opens it up, and we like them, but the CCD and Safari curtains will not block the sun enough if light bothers you while sleeping. And, the windows will let in more heat and cold, depending on the time of year. Again, it is all about trade-offs and personal preferences.

Of course, it sounds as though if you go with what is on your dealers lot, you may not have the choice. Which brings up another point. Get want you want and not just what they have, unless of course the deal is so smoking good that it will sway the difference. Brand new Airstreams are not scarce, you can get exactly what you want, just think how long you are gonna keep this one. Be patient, the pieces will all fit.

John
Old 09-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Since you're not full-timing, you'd be surprised at how little room you need to stash your clothing, and other personal belongings. Part of the fun of camping is leaving all the "doesn't matters" behind. Keeping it simple can be a huge relief. On a recent 2 week trip, we realized that we had over-packed, and still had plenty of room for more.
If you plan on doing much boondocking in the beautiful Sierras--so close to where you live--a 27' will be a real handicap. We barely nudge our 25' into gorgeous State Park and Forest Service campgrounds that often specify 22' as their maximum...The sites themselves are huge and private, studded with granite boulders and magnificent pines and redwoods. However, the actual parking pads are very limited in the size of rig they can accommodate.
We also like the twin bed configuration, because it not only allows for lots of outside storage, but also gives us more "floor space" indoors. The separate shower/bath are also terrific. The dinette easily converts to a very cosy lounge area.
We are amazed every time out that this lucky configuration is just our style. Above all else, we love having pano windows on both ends, and the dinette overlooking the views...Early risers, the morning sun is a non-issue.
Best of luck in your decision, and happy and safe travels!
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
Hi Cosmotini
did you get the queen or twin bed config? Paprika or cilantro?
We got the queen bed and cilantro color scheme.

Also upgraded to 15k air conditioner and full awnings. With the 2 skylights and 2 fantastic fans letting light/heat in, I thought the larger A/C was worth the upgrade.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
we did it

Thanks guys for all the input.
We listened to Paula and did it! Thanks Paula
Yesterday we brought home our new 2008 Int 27' FB in Cilantro with the queen bed! What a difference 3 feet make.
So many positives!.....
Pano windows in the front and rear sure open things up.
Great bed centered in the bedroom (an actual bedroom with night stands)
Now there's a place to put our morning cup of coffee.
No more backaches from making the corner bed.
We were surprised when we did the walk through that the whole bed lifts up for storage underneath.
The kitchen sink is easier to use...no more bumping our head on the cabinet above or slouching to avoid the cabinet.
With two young boys the dark brown cushions make more sense. (at least we won't see the dirt)
The best thing about this set up is the bathroom. (you know what I mean if you have the 25' SS)
The only negative thing about this trailer is......we have a slightly higher monthly payment. (but it's a larger IRS write off!)

You only live once!

Dennis
Old 09-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours.
BRN #20321 Air #4056