Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Wheel Wells
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Coming&Going

1964 17' Bambi II
Grand Junction , Colorado
Trying to decide - Deal or No Deal

Can someone give me an idea about how big an issue a 4"-5" vertical tear in the skin above the curbside wheel might be?? (Might have been a dent with a deep crease gone bad). Oh, yeah.....this is for a Vintage Bambi.

1) a deal breaker?
2) a money pit - like replacing an entire panel?
3) an easy, rivited, creative patch "arching" over the wheel (maybe streetside, too so it would match?
Thanks so much.

AGE IS OPPORTUNITY NO LESS THAN YOUTH ITSELF, THOUGH IN ANOTHER DRESS,
AND AS THE EVENING TWILIGHT FADES AWAY THE SKY IS FILLED WITH STARS, INVISIBLE BY DAY.
H. W. Longfellow
baldwicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Never pass up a vintage Bambi if you can afford it and the refurb won't bust your college fund. If you pass, let me know--I'll be there with my checkbook.

A small, nicely polished patch wouldn't kill you and ought to get you $500 off the asking price, minimum. Maybe more. I'd start off with a small triangle (so what if others figure out that there was damage) patch and then make a final decision after you've contemplated other fixes, removal of interiors, etc.

I'm coming to Seattle in June, anyway. Show me, show me! Heck, I need a reason to come sooner.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi cynthia in seattle

got a picture?

does the opening lead into the wheel well cavity....or to the inner wall...

assuming no damage inside as a result of the hole......
i've seen fully riveted patches, small fake doors and so on.....
one could do a moon/crescent shaped patch....
or an airstream profile shaped patch
or a simple circle or square...and so on....

since you're in seattle how about a fish or clam shell?

or how about a beer tap nozzle, or espresso spout, or pez dispenser.....
or parking meter face....

wouldn't be a deal breaker.....
it would become yet another conversation piece on the conversation piece......

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
Coming&Going

1964 17' Bambi II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Never pass up a vintage Bambi if you can afford it and the refurb won't bust your college fund. If you pass, let me know--I'll be there with my checkbook.

A small, nicely polished patch wouldn't kill you and ought to get you $500 off the asking price, minimum. Maybe more. I'd start off with a small triangle (so what if others figure out that there was damage) patch and then make a final decision after you've contemplated other fixes, removal of interiors, etc.

I'm coming to Seattle in June, anyway. Show me, show me! Heck, I need a reason to come sooner.
Thanks so much for such quick a reply and .... the encouragement regarding my desire for this little trailer. One more thing - I am finding trailers listed for sale on various websites, especially vintage trailers, that don't have titles. Is that unusual? How many and/or what kind of loops would a person have to jump thru to register a small vintage trailer like this in State "A" (where a title is a requirement) when the seller is in State "B" with no title and the trailer itself still has a license plate from State "C"? Any gotcha's there? Or just time spent researching after the fact? Would appreciate your thoughts.

AND AS THE EVENING TWILIGHT FADES AWAY THE SKY IS FILLED WITH STARS, INVISIBLE BY DAY.
H. W. Longfellow
Old 04-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
Coming&Going

1964 17' Bambi II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi cynthia in seattle

got a picture?

does the opening lead into the wheel well cavity....or to the inner wall...

assuming no damage inside as a result of the hole......
i've seen fully riveted patches, small fake doors and so on.....
one could do a moon/crescent shaped patch....
or an airstream profile shaped patch
or a simple circle or square...and so on....

since you're in seattle how about a fish or clam shell?

or how about a beer tap nozzle, or espresso spout, or pez dispenser.....
or parking meter face....

wouldn't be a deal breaker.....
it would become yet another conversation piece on the conversation piece......

cheers
2air'
Thanks, 2air.......
I may just do this thing!! This will be my first trailer and a retirement present to myself. It is so great to have this forum and group of like minded souls. I could just spend hours reading EVERYTHING. Thanks again.

H. W. Longfellow
Old 04-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi cynthia in seattle......

take pix and come back, we wanna see!!

are you planning to tow with a kia sportage?

i think there's still an opening here this week to discuss tow vehicle options....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
Coming&Going

1964 17' Bambi II
Hi 2air,
Yes re the Kia. It is a 6 cylinder, 4X4. Is that going to work?

H. W. Longfellow
Old 04-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
One more thing - I am finding trailers listed for sale on various websites, especially vintage trailers, that don't have titles. Is that unusual? How many and/or what kind of loops would a person have to jump thru to register a small vintage trailer like this
A wormy question, for sure. Some states seem negotiable, like Texas and North Carolina (another thread implies that they don't follow the serial numbers on old vehicles very carefully). California is unreasonable, like nazis. I would like to see a thread authored and commented by legal pros regarding their advice (oops, not advice, guys/gals), err, their musings, on the subject. There are just too many AS out there where the owners have vaporized and no one can find the paperwork.

If you do have a license plate from "state C", you could start a title search. I don't know how strict WA state is, maybe you could get an "assigned Vehicle VIN" and start from scratch, like a trailer built from parts.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #9
Coming&Going

1964 17' Bambi II
So Zeppelinium,
I just realized you are in Colorado. I am retiring the end of April and moving back to Colorado - the western slope - mid May. If I get this trailer, my plan is to take it to the RMVAC Rally in Creede in August. So if you see a little Bambi II with brand new patches over the wheels and a lady with a glazed look in her eyes....................

H. W. Longfellow
Old 04-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I would not let a small tear in the skin keep me from buying a Bambi. Other things are much bigger deals, like the interior condition, the floor condition, and how comfortable you are working on it yourself or paying someone to do it for you. Bambis are rare. I had a 62, and when I sold it I got interest from all over the country, and Japan! Bambis don't stay on the market long, so if you have a good feeling about it, don't let it slip away

I would insist on a title myself, though you can get one to replace a lost title. I would prefer it if the seller had already done that, because you will need signatures from the last registered owners to get it, I believe. You should call the DMV to get the facts before you spend money on a vehcile without a title. For me, no title would be more of a deal breaker than a small tear in the skin!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:52 AM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwicm
Hi 2air,
well you might post another thread asking the question....'using a kia sportage to tow a bambi' or some such title....

i've not searched here to find threads on kia towing....you might try that too...just to read if anyone is towing with a kia.....

you will get some answers both ways.....and lots of info is useful...

i see there are a couple of vintage bambis on ebay right now...might want to look these over to see the potential for your prospect...

the kia sorento is rated at 5k while the sportage which you have is only rated at 2k...

once you get a little further along, you may learn those figures don't reveal the full story...and that the 2000lb bambi, may be a bit heavier than than too.

so my thought is the kia sportage isn't up to this task, for several reasons....but again post the question tomorrow and watch the info roll in...

cheers
2air

Old 04-05-2006, 01:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Can someone give me an idea about how big an issue a 4"-5" vertical tear in the skin above the curbside wheel might be?? (Might have been a dent with a deep crease gone bad). Oh, yeah.....this is for a Vintage Bambi.

1) a deal breaker?
2) a money pit - like replacing an entire panel?
3) an easy, rivited, creative patch "arching" over the wheel (maybe streetside, too so it would match?
Thanks so much.
Had a 3.5 inch dent, almost like a golfball ahd hit the street side of my Caravel when I bought her. Thought the same thing, "do I want this problem?". Well my solution was to look for ways to make the repair. I have no other skin issues on the trailer and this was the only real damage. How to make it look OK for now until I do a COMPLETE rebuild? I purchased a "scare light" or white porch light that was 4.5 inches around and used a hole saw to drill out the offending dent. Then wired it in and use it whenever I go camping and arrive at night to make the hookups in the dark. Works for me.

Don't let a little age spot spoil the deal, if you want perfection get one that was restored already.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Checked out the "no title" with the Oklahoma DMV and it is fairly easy to get a new title with a notarized Bill of Sale and a few dozen forms. I'm waiting for a duplicate title from California (they say it takes them 6 to 8 weeks to process it); however, I can get a new Oklahoma title in 10 to 14 days. I checked with California DMV and the seller is the legal owner of the trailer, but it still takes them 6 to 8 weeks to process. I am waiting for a little longer and then going for a new Oklahoma title. Your state may have the same process for using a Bill of Sale. Call DMV and ask.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Quote:
Hi 2air,
Hi Cynthia,

I'm with 2air' on this. I originally towed my 1961 Bambi with a Ranger. 207 Horsepower, similar torque, towing capacity 4000 or so. It did very well except that I blew out the U-joint and I think I am doing the same with my Sportrac. I have never had any problems with speed. I can maintain a good 60 mph except over the steepest grades. So who knows if it is just a flaw in the truck or too much trailer. I recommend something a little more powerful than what you have. Just from experience. I am currently considering a Nissan Frontier. They have stepped it up a notch from previous years.

Welcome to the wonderful world of streamin'
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I think you are going to need "more truck" in towing, even with a vintage Bambi. When we first got our GlobeTrotter, which is the next size up from a Bambi, we had a Jeep Cherokee which was rated for 5500 lbs towing. Our GT weighs in at about 4200lbs fully loaded and at Colorado elevations, we struggled! So much so, we were almost ready to throw in the towel. The Jeep overheated and gasped for air at even the slightest elevation climb. We now have a Yukon and towing is much more enjoyable (and safer)...by far!

Your going to need much more power than you would at sea level...

Regardless, we'd love to have you join us at Creede and beyond, hope you get things worked out!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Vintage Kin Owner
detroit , Michigan
Quote:
Thanks so much.
http://www.vintageairstream.com/Myrtle/axle.html

here is a great article on a very similar repair, up to you if it is within your skills, budget to do it.

Mr. Wagongirl
wagongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #17
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
I purchased a "scare light" or white porch light that was 4.5 inches around and used a hole saw to drill out the offending dent. Then wired it in and use it whenever I go camping and arrive at night to make the hookups in the dark. Works for me.
clancy boy.....

that is a brilliant mod for a blemish.

have you got a photo to post?

what a great idea.

cheers
2air'

Old 04-06-2006, 02:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Not to scare anyone here, but if it's a "tear", then you might want to investigate if it has rear or front end separation. That can be an indication of such a problem.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Yes And No

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
clancy boy.....

that is a brilliant mod for a blemish.

have you got a photo to post?

what a great idea.

cheers
2air'
Yes, I have a photo, but No - I don't have one with me. I can send you one in 3 weeks when I get home.

I bought the Grote scare light from Vintage Airstreams for I think $29 and change. They have the same light - chrome trim and clear lense - at Flying J truck stop for $9.99. Does not say Grote but the lense casting and bezel are exactly the same (Made in Taiwan???).

I need to post a photo, because when I did the repair, I was botherd by the dent and possible panel replacement. It look factory and the placement - 8 inches to the right of the service access and 4 inches high centers it on the panel. I installed one in the panel to the ower right side of the door to flood the steps at night. Look original.

OK, none of this makes sense without photos, I will post in a few weeks - sorry - the job has me deployed right now, I'd rather be home working on the Caravel and not reading your threads but actually doing some of the stuff you guys are doing. I envy alot of ya'lls work.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Running Springs , California
Cynthia-

Juel's repsonse pretty much negates the no deal issue regarding title, if of course, your seller is cooperative. A 4' or 5" tear would be at least several hundred dollars, if not a grand to repair 'right' at a shop. Except you got all of these terrific responses regarding patches. However, you may want to use this tear as a bargaining 'chit'. I had a pretty good dent on the rear cone of a less than vintage Bambi and it was worth $1,000.00 off of the price we agreed on. On the other hand vintage Bambi's are hard to come by...
geosouth is offline   Reply With Quote