Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Wheel Wells
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #1

1970 29' Ambassador
New London , Connecticut
Interior wheelwell cover/trim

Hello All, we have recently gutted our 1970 Ambassador and have found the plastic cream colored interior wheelwell cover is damaged in three places, curbside. Last week I was able to find one on-line but today I am having no luck finding it again. The measurements are 66"long x11.5"wide and approx. 9" high. Any suggestions on successful repairs or where to find it? Inland RV has told me it is unavailable. Thanks for any help
Pettey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Redcliff , Alberta
Try inland RV, they have new replacement wheel wells, inner and outer!

Time Machine
Time Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Lebanon , Pennsylvania
I went to Inland RV and could not locate the wheel wells. Please help. I tried other similar sites without success.
mgjurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
I got both inner and outer from ODMRV.com. HOWEVER.... they did not warn me that the "inner" wheel well cover does not fit over the wheel well. i.e meaning the one inside the coach, and supposed to go over the actual "exterior" wheel well does not fit. The original wheel well is black, and the inside cover was tan. Both are black for replacement option.

This appears to be the way it is... no other options available that I could find. I found another thread confirming same. You have to build up a frame on the inside of the coach around the perimter of the wheel well. Then the "inner" interior cover will attached to the built up base, and go over the wheel well. I might try to cut horizontally, and scab in a piece to make up the additional height needed so that I dont have to build up, and it will sit back on the floor. Its really only an insulation cover to further separate the outside from the inside... so I'm not super disappointed. It will be new.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I just built some out of plywood. Used only hand tools, though with electricity. Just built boxes to go over top, side and ends. Wasn't to difficult. Used 1/2 plywood with 2x2 along inside edges to fasten to. End vertical corner 2x2 only went down about 3/4 way from top to clear iner wheel well.
If your fridge doesn't go over the wheels then it'll be easier.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote