Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Wheel Wells
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2004, 10:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**Broken Wheel Well**

I noticed this not long ago when looking under the cabinets for something. I don't know just how long it's been this way and I'm not sure what exactly caused it.

My first thought might be that heavy pots & pans may have bounced on the upper shelve and over time broke it; but then I remember another problem.

One of the wheels on the same side of the coach was so badly out of balance I was told they thought they might not be able to bring it into balance. After purchasing new tires I realized the balance problem. I took the wheel and tire to two other places to confirm that it was that far out of balance. I've never seen so many weights on one wheel; but if it brings it into balance would it not run smooth and not be a problem?

I don't think that a new tire is likely to be that bad. I didn't have the wheel tested by its self but I later thought that might have been a good thing to do.

I haven't noticed any vibration while pulling the trailer or anything that would lead me to suspect something was wrong in that area.

Would a person even be able to feel a problem like that while towing?

I can't say for sure just what caused this so I'm wondering what you might think! Do you have any thoughts or experience in this area?

P.S. I have aluminum wheels!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelwell02.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	4840  

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Wheel balance

Silvertwinkie,

You don't say how far you pursued this with the original tire seller. Will he exchange the tire or give you partial credit?

Two other items to check if you haven't already done so.

Is the tire mounted properly? It is possible to mount a tire crooked. Check all around the bead to see if the distance from the edge of the wheel to the bead margin is equal.

Is the wheel round? Even alloy wheels can be out of round. Check the wheel for both radial and lateral runout. Is it possible the wheel was damaged by hitting a curb?

Finally, have the tire 'match mounted'. The heavy point of the wheel is usually where the tire stem is located. The lightest point on the tire is sometimes marked with a red dot (always wondered what those dots were?). A good store will match the light spot on the tire with the heavy spot on the wheel.

There are other tricks to minimize vibration. If the tire store didn't rotate the tire 180 on the wheel and try rebalancing, that's a good reason to go elsewhere. Did either of the other tire stores try remounting the tires?

If the wheel is not out of round or bent, and the tire is mounted correctly, and you have tried rotating 180 degrees, and the tire still takes too much weight, I would return it and get my money back, or at least a large credit toward a replacement.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Thanks,

It’s been a year or so since I bought the tires and it seems that there were a lot of weights already on the wheel. If that‘s the case then it probably was the wheel to begin with; however, it may warrant another check. I think they told me it was the wheel when they mounted the tires. I just wish I would have questioned them a little closer about it.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Twinky,

I would worry more about the condition of the actual wheelwell beneath it, the black one. The ones in your pic are simply the light plastic covers that encase the insulation over the actual wheelwells. They are constructed of ABS plastic I believe, not very flexible and get increasingly brittle with age. I am sure that unbalanced tires would probably contribute to the problem but as I say, it seems to be a common occurence.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

wheel well damage

I know in our 63 the well is damaged from a tire change gone bad by a PO. The trailer fell off the jack with the tire sitting in the well. Pushed up the well and damaged some belly skin. Don't know if this is possible on a dual axle set up. Maybe with both tires off on one side. Does the plastic well cover feel brittle, or is it still flexable? ABS should stay flexable for a long time unless it is very cold out. Pots and Pans sitting on it should not break it. The well covers in our 63 were still flexable when we pulled them out.
About balance, If my tires were that out of balance I would not want to jeoperdize the longevity of the trailer by rattling it to death. Get someone to pull the trailer with you riding in it for a few miles. That is the only way to really tell how bad the vibrations are. I have taken a ride in the back of our 68, it was quiet enough to talk on a cell phone going about 35.
Everyone makes such a big deal about running gear balance. It is very important if you want your trailer to last as long as you do. Plus it cuts down on maintanace. Less vibration, less damage, less repairs.
Auminum rims can get out of round and out of balance easy. If the rim is dropped during shipping, or installation before the tire is on. Also with Aluminum rims if the lugs are over torqued, that can cause similar problems. I have seen friends that don't know any better put Mag or aluminum rims on with impact drivers and destort the lug holes. Also I have never seen a tire shop that didn't use a impact driver to set lug nuts.
I hope some of my experiences have helped any.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
All I see broken is the cosmetic. It gives some space to put insulation.

If it's a ingle axle then this might work as a repair.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=SUM%2DG7908

Main page with different sizes.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=SUM%2DG7908

These can be used as the metal fender that sometimes rust out.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Sterling , Virginia
the maximum weights a wheel and tire should get are the largest size (4 oz. ?) on each side of the wheel. have the dealer mount the tire on the wheel in the best possible location as revealed by his static balancer (bubble type). this does not require actually inflating the tire on the wheel, and the tire can be rotated easily to give best possible location. after the best possible location has been determined, inflate tire and then spin balance. if you still can't meet the maximum weight requirement, replace what needs to be replaced eric 4916
amron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:44 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
Has anyone found replacement wheel well liners like the ones shown above that are damaged? Anyone know of a source for aluminum or galvanized replacements? Thanks John
Johndigbydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

wheel well replacement.

We had our metal wheel wells replicated at a local metal shop in galvanized steel. Some body that does A/C duct work should be able to do it. We are in the middle of a 4 year shell off restoration of a 63 overlander. Project got put on hold for a long while. My fathers health hasn't been that good lately. We did get the 68 land yacht on the road and made it out to Quartzite AZ.
The Land yacht did not make it back thought. Some nasty weather and bad mountain roads took it in Tennesse. A very strong gust flipped the trailer and the Toyota tundra on its side. Then the tow truck drivers did it in flipping the trailer back over. They split the shell from the frame by pulling on the frame to right the trailer.