Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hy-Tech coatings, for AS roof?

Here is a possible "Replacement" for Ceramiflex....

Hy-Tech Coatings... A NASA knockoff company... So, this was developed for space gig, now available to mere mortals.... Here is our final exchange:

"I have attached a copy of a quote for you to look over. You will actually need 3 gallons of the Bus-Kote. A gallon only covers 150sqft at best and you have over 200 sqft of roof. You might get away with two but I would hate for you to run short. I also attached one of the pictures with some comments. The seam tape goes over the patch then is covered with another layer of the patching compound. Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me."

Cost. $257 + shipping. For our 34'... Or less than $8 a foot!

Insulating Paint | Insulating Ceramic Paint Additive | Official NASA Spinoff

Any input? Thanks in a acne!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
bump
Old 09-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"+shipping" how much to you? My quote from them for 2 gallons was $35 for shipping.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
$88.24
shipping to 78664
Old 09-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It would be nice to find it locally.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I asked, but they appear to be 'single source'... they do offer the 'insulation' as an 'additive'.... which could be stirred into a good aircraft grade lacquer...which is my other 'thought'... but, finding someone to sell the aviation paint is a pain...
Old 09-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
This was covered in previous thread about roof coatings. I wrote on this thread about bus-kote at that time and also ph. them and received exc. info, and as I stated before when get enough nerve to coat roof will do with bus-kote, also I have several friends that I rec. bus-kote to, but have not seen them this year or if they did it. It is very reasonable in cost compared to other coatings, plus won't streak and easy to apply. Def. replacement for ceramiflex and I believe less costly. It seems very easy to apply, only reason I'm hesitating is my 1976 pur. new by me and still all original.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Round Rock , Texas
I've been looking at this as well. My roof coating is pretty thin, and likely needs to be replaced. Hoping that adding a new coating will help with the interior temps in the AS during the summer. Unfortunately, this has moved pretty low on my list of stuff to do lately, as I need to get some other stuff working first.

Good news, is that I think this is a weekend job in the right weather conditions. Tape it off, clean with mineral spirts, and then apply with a roller on the roof. Allow to dry, and apply 2nd coat either later that day or the next day. Is this about right? Will you guys replace the sealants around the roof openings at the same time so that you can paint the entire roof surface?
txtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I'd hesitate to coat the roof with insulating material, even though it sounds extremely tempting when it's 115 outside. Here's why:

You'd end up with two aluminum areas right next to each other at two different temperatures. Now the coefficient of expansion might not be enough to matter, but I'd have to say it would worry me.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Boyd, I don't get your concern. Could you elaborate at a level suitable for a complete idiot.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:59 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Guys.. I plan to cover only what Airstream originally painted. Guess was not much of a concern.... But willing to listen....
Old 09-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
He's probably concerned that the difference in temperature caused by the "insulation" paint may make the coated aluminum expand less than the uncoated aluminum and possibly lead to movement between the two areas, then possibly lead to leaks or other issues.

I doubt it. The temperature difference is likely to be very little. I tend to think that most "insulating" coatings tend toward snake oil and make little difference unless they really reflect a lot of infrared... Even then there are probably more temperature differences between parts of an AS in the shade and in the sun.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
There is actually quite a bit of difference in temps between a white coated airstream roof and the uncoated bare aluminum. I have mine covered with ceramiflex and while you can comfortably put you hand on the white side, the bare side will burn. But it isn't due to any insulating qualities, rather that the white reflects most of the energy back where the bare aluminum does not. As for movement in-between, I haven't seen anything. When you think about it, it will actually be a temperature gradient between the warm and hot sides due to diffusion.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
There is actually quite a bit of difference in temps between a white coated airstream roof and the uncoated bare aluminum. <snip> When you think about it, it will actually be a temperature gradient between the warm and hot sides due to diffusion.
Absolutely. There will be a gradient, but it will be a pretty quick transition between the absorptive aluminum and the reflective white coating.

But maybe it "ain't that big a deal." I just used an online calculator, and with a temperature difference of 104 deg F to 140 degF, the difference over 20 linear feet is only about a hundredth of a foot - roughly an eighth of an inch.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Your average white roof coating will help a lot. How much better is this stuff than regular white roof coating? I don't see any data. Most paints use ceramics (metal oxides) for pigmentation. So saying ceramic paint is somewhat redundant. White is much better at rejecting heat than polished aluminum. Paints are also by nature insulators because they are made of plastics and ceramics that don't conduct heat well. The coating being so thin makes this not such a big deal. Is this stuff better than regular white roof coating, maybe but by how much? It is probably less than 10%. So do the math and see if that 10% is worth extra money. If it does not cost much more than regular paint then go for it.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I coated the roof of my trailer with Supertherm. It is a ceramic paint. The difference between this coating and a car surface with factory white paint is stunning. The car surface is hot to the touch. You can't keep your hand on it. the Supertherm surface feels cool to the touch. I would say ambient air temp.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
I coated the roof of my trailer with Supertherm. It is a ceramic paint. The difference between this coating and a car surface with factory white paint is stunning. The car surface is hot to the touch. You can't keep your hand on it. the Supertherm surface feels cool to the touch. I would say ambient air temp.
Al
Al, is that similar to the Hy-Tech stuff? How was prep/apply?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Any running with super therm?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Not sure how it compares to the hy-tech coating. I lightly sanded the area that I painted and then applied it with a roller and used a brush for cutting in the edges of the area and around fittings on the roof. It left a textured surface.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Not sure how it compares to the hy-tech coating. I lightly sanded the area that I painted and then applied it with a roller and used a brush for cutting in the edges of the area and around fittings on the roof. It left a textured surface.
Al
Ok, all that is available is the Supertherm in 5 gallons for about $200. So you used it right out of the pail? How much coverage? How many coats? How long ago? Easy to clean? Does your AS spend all its time outside! If not, how much under cover?