Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Disappointed in my Fantastic Fan

I installed my Fantastic Fan this weekend. It went in pretty easy. All the instructions were adequate.

What I am disappointed in is that the thermostat only controls the fan and not the vent. The vent is either open or closed. I was thinking the vent opened when the thermostat decided and closed when not in use.

Also, it is louder than I expected.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
I installed my Fantastic Fan this weekend. It went in pretty easy. All the instructions were adequate.

What I am disappointed in is that the thermostat only controls the fan and not the vent. The vent is either open or closed. I was thinking the vent opened when the thermostat decided and closed when not in use.

There is an alteration for the fan so the lid will open and close when the fan needs to go on and off.
Just nip off the wires to the up/down switch, and connect the lift motor wires to the thermostat.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
... What I am disappointed in is that the thermostat only controls the fan and not the vent. The vent is either open or closed. I was thinking the vent opened when the thermostat decided and closed when not in use.

I guess it depends on the model you get. Mine is thermostatically controlled, and I believe it also only shuts off the fan when a specified temperature is reached. When you I switch it off, it shuts off the fan and closes the vent, and it automatically shuts down when it rains, and opens up after it's dry. Later on, I did get the optional switch that reverses the air flow.

I've found that every appliance is kind of loud in a 19 ft. trailer. The Fantastic Fan seems much quieter than the AC and furnace.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I know I am going deaf, but still, on low speed, the Fantastic Fan I have is very quiet. It moves a lot of air, even on the lowest speed.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Our Fantastic Vent does not close when the thermostat kicks off...it only opens or closes when we switch it on or off ... or if it rains while open... I have not found this to be a problem. In fact, I think if it were to open and close every time the thermostat switched the fan on or off it might possibly drive me nutz...the motor driving the vent lid would also wear out a lot sooner. We usually use our on low and don't find it to be very noisy at all.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
surprised by the disappointment. I cannot imagine not having it in my unit. I love the white noise it makes at night until the lid closes. That always wakes me up.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
While my trailer sits in the sun, in my driveway, I was hoping the vent would open, vent theheat, then shut when the sun goes down. I will look into the wire switch suggestion. You can always pull the knob for manually leaving the vent open without the fan on/off. Right now the vent is open all the time. No rain yet to test the sensor.

I don't know, maybe I am being a little too picky, a couple hundred dollars, a lot of positive press here on the forums, maybe its like a good movie that is over hyped that when you are not overwhlmed, you feel disapointed even though the movie was good.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
... Right now the vent is open all the time. No rain yet to test the sensor...
It took me the longest time to trust the rain sensor, until I was in the AS one day when it started to rain. It shut down really quick that day, and has never failed. I was sold on the FF. The next time my rear vent cover disintegrates (I'm already on my third one in six years), I plan to replace it with another FF.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
FC...

I don't see Fantastic Fans literature mentioning that the thermostat will trigger the opening and closing of the cover...did someone lead you to believe that was the case?

If you think about it, if the fan operated in that manner, it would constantly be opening and closing, as the fan did it's job to provide air movement and cooling - depending on how the thermostat knob is set...probably decreasing the 'life' of the motor/gears, etc - it's just not designed to operate in that manner...

I use our thermostat controlled FF all the time, and it can cycle the fan on-off many times in late afternoon when the temps outside are changing...

As to the noise factor - you're moving lots of air with a FF, and that by nature will elevate the noise level...Those small biscuit fans in your computer are real quiet, but they don't move near the volume of air that a FF does!...I think you'll find its like many things, once you use it for awhile, you'll probably hardly even notice it...

We've got three of em' in our AS - the one thermostat unit is in the rear and we can open the one up front to move some air when we're not there without having to open a window for security reasons...when we do crack a couple of windows open, and turn on those fans, it moves LOTS of cooling air into and through the interior....
Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
It took me the longest time to trust the rain sensor, until I was in the AS one day when it started to rain. It shut down really quick that day, and has never failed. I was sold on the FF. The next time my rear vent cover disintegrates (I'm already on my third one in six years), I plan to replace it with another FF.
I'm adding a third FF to the bathroom to replace the original fan but haven't settled on the model yet. One thing for sure, I'll get the rain sensor. The first time it rained on our camper while we were away with both FFs open, I returned to find them closed. I thanked my wife for saving us from a soggy bed by closing the vents. She said, "Vents?"
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I can't say for sure when it will happen, but look for a factory solution to the lid opening and closing in the near future.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Best customer service.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
POI...when up on the roof for Spring make ready, wipe off the grid for the rain sensor, ask me how I know.

If you have ANY concerns with the unit contact the Company, they have outstanding customer service. They replaced a 5 rear old cracked lid NC, no questions asked.

Bob
Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Hi Everyone. I know that there was some trepidation about FF being bought by Atwood and therefore declining customer service but I wanted you to know that I contacted FF to replace my motor case (part that holds the lid motor and manual crank) and they sent me two replacements via post no charge last week. Yea Fantastic Fan and Fantastic customer service! My fans are 6 years old.
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
A couple of years ago, Airstream Life had a Tech article on how to modify your FF to open and close with the thermostat. I can't find it right now, but maybe someone has a link to it.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
we love ours, I waited a long time to get one...(Thanks Terry)
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote