Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Drain Tube

I have what appears to be a drain tube sticking out from underneath the rear of my trailer. This is a 1983 31' excella. It looks like someone tried to repair it at somtime or another. I would like to cut a small inspection hole in the metal around it and fix me a door if you will of sorts that will allow me to fix this drain tube. If it has broke once I figure it will again. Has anyone fixed this issue before and is it feasibel to do what I want to do. Any thoughts or comments that would help would be appreciated.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Is it a drain from the a.c or from the water line?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Mike it is from the fresh water. I believe the air drains from the top. I say this because when I winterized it and flushed the freah water tank it drained from there.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I wonder if it's even broken; our mo/ho has three ball valves to drain the system. Those little ball valves can be a problem to shut-off, the p.o. might not have realized that. Do you have standing water in the back compartment, next to the pump?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Then some trailers have a relief valve in the trunk,with a plastic hose from it thru the belly pan. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
It might be a low drain for the fresh water lines. I had a drain like that on an 80's trailer. There was a pitcock valve inside the trunk area that lets the water drain out of the lines and exits out the bottom of the trailer near the back.
I used to open it and drain the lines before storing the trailer.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Drain Tube

Thanks for all the replies Fellows. Went to bed early last night. I filled the fresh water tank with water last night and de-winterized everything. When I drained the system of course the water goes into the axillary tank first then dumps throughput the main. I did not see any water come out of this tube. I am curious though about the valves in the trunk are. I know two are the main and auxiliary. However there is several small gray ones there also. I have know ideal what they do. I will post some pictures this week end if not before so you all can get a look see also.The manual does not explain these small gray valves or even show them that I can tell. The manual does show in the water tank digram a hole coming out of the tank with a drain tube on it. I will do more exploring and get back to you all. I did not see any water in the back of the trunk standing. Have a great day fellows.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Yes, the gray ones are the ones I'm talking about.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
If you are going to use those gray valves: When they are screwed down they are closed and up they are open. Also when turning them in either direction you must pull up slightly while turning to open and slightly push down to close. In the closed position the water system will operate as normal. If open all the water in those pipes will drain out the vent pipe under the trailer.
Hope that makes some sense to you. If not, I could try to explain further. I no longer have my manual on thet trailer, but this is how I remember it working.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote