Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2002, 08:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
grover beach , California
blue trim molding

I was looking for new trim molding for my 1975 25 ft. Land Yacht. The original was airstream blue and I would like to replace it but have looked at local RV store and online, not had any luck. Anyone know where to find that color ? And any tips on how to replaced the trim molding on their airstream?
larry smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 08:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Try your local Airstream dealer:

Dealer finder

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 10:33 AM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Hi Larry,

I was toying with the same idea, and here is what the forum came up with when I posted a few month ago:
Inland RV or Airstream dealers have the blue trim moulding. It can be purchased in rolls, and it was very pricey when I checked into it. It also comes in the narrow and wide sizes needed for the different trim pieces.
You can paint the trim, and the paint code given to me was Rustoleum royal blue, I believe. I bought a pint of the paint, but had not had time to apply it.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:12 PM   #4
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Blue Trim Decals

Has anyone checked with www.AirstreamDreams.com for these? Because, I need part of mine replaced...
.......Cat
Old 10-04-2002, 11:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Blue trim...

I just had all the blue trim replaced on my 1975 Overlander at C&G in Bellflower. They called it "Beltline" and "Rubrail" - there are two stripes at mid-level and one stripe at the floor line. Cost was about $200.00 materials and 1 hour labor. It really makes a difference and makes the trailer look sharp.

I must say, however, that the blue paint also works and you can't tell the difference from 20 feet away (in the dark) <G>
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 03:41 AM   #6
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Unhappy Phil's Blue Trim

(Here I am asking...I'm the WORST at this)...but here goes...

Could you post us a photo of yours?

..........Cat
Old 10-05-2002, 03:50 AM   #7
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Bellflower

Phil...
another question please...$200 isn't that bad...(ME who's on a 'shoestring' LOL)..
but, really, I don't consider it that much for what it would obviously do for the appearance and ego-builder that you would have when done....
But, I would really appreciate a URL (link) (where you get it) dropped into your post...could you do that?

thanx...Cat
Old 10-05-2002, 03:56 AM   #8
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Bellflower is WHERE?

like, I don't know what State you're even in...
I'm in Washington near the British Columbia Border...

and btw..e: AIRSTREAM DEALERS...in the Northwest
.Langley BC is closer to a lot of Washingtonians than Great American RV in FIFE is...

Langley is a TOTAL Airstream Dealer,,,just across the Border at Sumas Washington near Abbotsford, B.C.

...whereas the one in Fife just has Airstreams "ALONG WITH" other models (not much 'pride' or 'specialty' in that.
...Cat
Old 10-05-2002, 07:00 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Blue trim...

C&G in Bellflower: cgtrailer@aol.com (562) 634-6286
Rod and Darlene Beltrans

They don't have a website. They are a full service Airstream repair/service center in So.Cal., near Long Beach. They've been there since 1964. I understand the father of the current owner worked for Airstream in LA in the 40s, 50s, and early 60s.

I tried to post photos once, too, and it wouldn't work. In any case, I do not have photos with the new trim. I'll take more photos next weekend when we go on our Maiden Voyage, and try to post again.
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 07:18 PM   #10
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Decals

Thanks...I really look forward to seeing it
Old 10-06-2002, 01:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Effective September 30th, 2002, the price of the rub rail and belt line molding insert vinyl, as predicted, HAS DRAMATICALLY BEEN REDUCED!!!!
However, the only color available is blue and in 50 foot rolls only.
You can find them in our parts sale list of our website (inlandrv.com) as part numbers 70494, 70506 and 70530.
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:06 AM   #12
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Decal by the roll

I checked out what you said was on sale (by the roll)...Blue trim, 1/2 inch and 1-1/4 inch. I don't know where this would go...I have a decal that is about 6 inches wide that goes around the entire 'girth' of the A/S. It is sunbaked/soap damaged, and cracking a little. THIS is what I want to replace; I looked through the list of your parts and got dizzy trying to find it.

Can you see the trim on the picture (my logo).?

I'd love to get some of this on sale...
(and order when I get the Walbernize,,,since shipping isn't cheap....ahem ahem! !

......Cat
Old 10-07-2002, 08:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California

Cat.
The center section of your excella does not have "vinyl insert." The material you do have is "blue vinyl-clad." Same material as inside the trailer, but in blue.
That material has not been available for years.
However, you can remove it by taking the moldings off, and then painting it any color you choose. I would not suggest that you paint the vinyl, as it is outside and exposed to the sun. The problem with what you have is that it was plasticoated. If you attempt to remove it, you will ruin the vinyl.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 08:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking Decal

CAT,
I certainly can't speak for InlandRV but, I was looking for the same thing for my'SILVER TURTLE' this past summer at A/S. Nothing but,"bits and pieces" left over. I'm planning on taking pictures of mine and, having a decal shop reproduce it. It should be replaced using 'material' that'll last~ I can't say for now what it's gonna cost or what material will be used.
I wanted the name 'Sovereign' as well..If anyone has a lead. Plse drop me a note or email me at:
towner1@adelphia.net
ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 10:23 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Try C&G Trailer Service in Bellflower, CA (CGTrailer@aol.com). They have insert by the foot and prices have dropped recently. They have lots of new and old Airstream parts. They've been around for many years working on Airstreams only. Their place looks like an Airstream museum.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:09 AM   #16

Louie,

Thanks for this most valuable info. Sure is good news to have a choice of supliers

Ron
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:26 AM   #17
hex

Arrow Excella Blue Trim Band

If I understand this right the Wide Excella Stripe is rolled aluminum flashing (w/ blue vinyl bonded during manufacture and plasti-coat applied ??). It is apparently held in place by the trim mouldings. would it really be a good candidate for a painting that'd last long due to the vinyl and plastic-coat? But then you could paint it every couple of years I guess.

I think a decal would be hard to apply (wrinkles & bubbles) and even harder to remove later. Also it would suffer from the elements over the years.

Perhaps the aluminum band could be removed and turned over? And the back primed and painted successfully? Way too much trouble for the return.

or
Factory painted aluminum flashing (colors baked on) used to be available thru sheet-metal shops, aluminum carport/sunroom etc dealers, and custom continuous-gutter dealers. Why wouldn't this product work?

Am I right to assume the trim is riveted on and that the rivets also pass thru the aluminum flashing? If so you'd sure want to use the old to pattern the holes in the replacement flashing. Can I assume the whole band is one continuous piece?? Unfortunately it looks like the removal/replacement job would 'open-up' many possibilities for leaks behind trim at rivet holes. (areas where it would be hard to apply sealer).

Just paint it!
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 09:24 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Look on ebay

I saw a roll of the thin Airstream vinyl on ebay.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:31 AM   #19
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Blue Stripe

I think if you ask the pros on this subject, you'll find out that painting the stripe area is the worst thing you can do...for several reasons.
First of all, as I understand it...
(and to those who think I don't pay attention...listen up),
...the original has been "Acrylic Coated" along with the rest of the exterior...and you would be painting over that; the bonding of the two is "iffy" at best. (read below)

Plus, in my humble opinion, painting anything that is not able to be sanded well and prime coated, and sanded again --- WHAT A "BOTHER"!!---is troublesome, at best.

The proper use is a stripe called Vinyl Clad, and if you ask for it by name at that place mentioned in this Thread..or ask Andy at InlandRV (on this Forum also), you can find it sold by the foot I think. I'm very close to ordering mine for "Bear"

Anyway, I am a professional designe, and deal with professional painters every day, and I say painting is to be done ONLY when you don't want to do it as a "remedy". And if you do want it for that...be sure you do it RIGHT...and plan for future "re-dos".

Somethings just should not be compromised...
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A POOR PAINT JOB (the wrong paint) used on the "Under Belly" of an Airstream...it is GAWD-AWFUL !.
In my way of thinking, the stripe would turn out to look pretty bad too, UNLESS you FIRST OF ALL taped off, then sanded well, then prime painted with an OUTDOOR MARINE basepaint, then SANDED again, then a BASE coat of your BLUE colour in another OUTDOOR MARINE paint...SAND AGAIN, the the top coat of a VERY SHINEY OUTdoor marine coloured paint AGAIN. Then, a TOP TOP coat of an outdoor CLEAR finish---like Acrylic.
The problem with all of this...is how do you get it all off when you want to REDO it? A mess! You canNOT remove the old prior to repainting it. And this would be a definite situation in a few years with the UV rays getting to it.
I personally will just get the "Vinyl Clad" from a supplier...and pray the next time I need it it's still available.
(Sorry...a little more than 2 cents worth)...
Old 11-12-2002, 02:02 PM   #20
hex

Talking Don't U make My green Eyes Sea Blue?

OK Cat. I am wondering about your Airstream. In the Avitar picture it appears to me that the whole thing has a blue hue. Looks kinda like a transparent stain job.

Surely I'm halucinatin' eh Cat?
After all you don't call it the "blue bear"
Too much blue nun at breakfast ?
hex is offline   Reply With Quote