Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2003, 07:57 AM   #61
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
End caps

Cat.

There are several different end caps. Some straight, some angled, some for the belt line, some for the rub rail.

Exactly which one or ones do you need along with the quantity?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:43 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
As the saying goes--I don't have a pony in this race--as the owner of a 1972 pre-plastic insert A/s, *BUT* I will mention one option you may want to consider.

West Marine has a nice selection of "rub rail" choices in various sizes and cross-sections which can be ordered by the foot and just might do the job.

If not, you might consider using some 3M colored tape--which comes in a spectrum of colors and is very durable. That's what I'm currently trying on my '72. It looks cleaner (to me) than painting and is a lot easier. Just peal and stick. The International "Flag" and logo still need to be painted. The vertical connector between the middle strips has to be painted as well. WestMarine sells this. For my trailer it takes 1/4" for the narrow stripes and 3/4" for the wider strips at the belt-line.

Those with Excellas and others with some type of wide tape applied directly to the aluminum in wide stripes may also find this material of interest. There are wider ones with a combination of coordinating colors. Again, see the WestMarine catalog. I'm impressed with their catalog--it's a real step-up from the typical RV world catalogs!

Andy may have been talking about something else, and I would hate to question "the guru", but I believe the strips were some type of vinyl tape as they came from the factory. There are still remnants underneath rivet heads. I also remember it pealing off our then new 1972 that my family owned when I was growing up...it probably lasted until about 1974!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:06 PM   #63
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Blue paint was first used.

Blue tape followed and ended with the 1973 models. Reason. Did not hold up very well.

From 1974 on up, the rub rail and belt lines used an insert, blue, red, black and even gray on the motorhomes.

Argosy of course used orange insert.

Andy
Old 07-17-2003, 11:18 PM   #64
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Decals

Andy, and friends...& "Doc".
This wide striped decal for the Excella is of interest to me.
1st of all, let me say that the previous owners of Bear, found the stuff found at West Marine, but only replaced about 1/4 of it...which gave it a 1/2 done look;
2nd, replacing 100% of it appeals to me more than doing the 3/4 part they didn't do.
That said, what I really want to do...
ANDY?
is remove ALL of it...and expose the aluminum under it...which will leave a tiny double aluminum raised edging with a tiny blue stripe between them (one of these above the wide decal,,,and another below it. This tiny stripe might be a pin stripe decal...but could be more of the vinylclad... Do you know Andy?

And, what do you think about removing all of the old decals and pin-striping? We tried removing a tiny bit of the newer decals...and it was relatively easy to remove...and revealed a beautifully shiney aluminum skin under it. (Would this have the protective coating on it? )
Wouldn't the protective coating be on all of it...even be under that 'double raised aluminum trim--top & bottom---with the tiny blue stripe between? Or maybe there's no way of knowing???

I'm going to take photos of all of this...it's best, especially for the "end caps".

And assuming all the decals are removed and no problems with the aluminum where they were...any suggestions for finishing that bare aluminum then? (if it has the protective seal on it...it wouldn't be "bare" would it?)
Old 07-18-2003, 01:36 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
La Porte , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to Darel
Blue Rub Rail and Belt line

Cat,
I'm getting ready to order 200' of this 'blue insert' rub rail and belt line. The size that I need is approximately 11/16" wide. I will insert a pic. I think I wll have about 10' left over. I don't know if you could use it but I will have it if anyone needs it.

Andy,
Let me make sure that I am getting this straight. To properly install this blue insert, will I need to drill the rivets holding the end clips and then drill through the new insert and rerivet the insert and clip? What size rivets should I use? How much are the new blue clips? The ones on my 77' Argosy MH are res or orange. If it is cost effective, I might just replace instead of repaint. I have an 8" brown stripe between the two belt lines and I would like two repaint it black and white or black with a vinyl graphic. It has been repainted once before. Is there anything I should be aware of before I start this project?
Thank You,
Darel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rub rail.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2374  
Darel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 01:19 AM   #66
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Vinylclad Installation

Darel,
I don't know if anyone is going to say anything about this...but it just occurred to me,,,that this is important...

you said:
>>Let me make sure that I am getting this straight. To properly install this blue insert, will I need to drill the rivets holding the end clips and then drill through the new insert and rerivet the insert and clip? What size rivets should I use?<<

ok...it is my thought that wherever there WAS a hole, and you are re-popping a new rivet into that hole---OR,,, you are making a new hole even...EITHER WAY..>>. shouldn't the hole be filled with "Vulkem" or "BoatCaulk"---something flexible (that won't crack in motion)---and something that won't dislodge from the hole...for the reason >> that any leaks will be prevented...?????????????
???????
-----------just a thought..!
Old 07-19-2003, 01:23 AM   #67
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Installation P.S.

OR,

just you just choose a LARGER rivet than was previously used...so the rivet will be tight...and thus, not allowing any leaks.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:40 AM   #68
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
All of the inserts were held in place, at the ends, with a 1/8 inch pop rivet that also went through an end cap.

No need to use a larger rivet, unless you used a wrong size drill bit to start with.

All 1/8 pop and buck rivets are drilled out with a #30 drill bit, which is an oversize 1/8.

Sealing should not be necessary.

Andy
Old 07-19-2003, 11:06 AM   #69
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Rivet Holes

Andy,
Thanx for that...
but don't you use the original rivet holes to shoot the new rivets into?

Which made me think the other day, >>> I won't need a lot of new end caps will I? b/c there'll be those end caps I'll be able to salvage off the old VinylClad...right?
and
that brings to mind>>> what is the best way to remove the old rivet, in order to preserve the rivet hole...AND to try to salvage the end-caps?
Old 07-19-2003, 11:11 AM   #70
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Paps' Humour

By the way,,,

PAPS

I never told you how clever and funny you are! >> re this---when we were talking (to death) about rubrails...and someone asked what the heck I was talking about...you said>>

>>
Rubrail Rik raw rubrail rubbed wrong.<<
HAHA
Old 07-19-2003, 11:19 AM   #71
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Rivvet!

Thanx Andy..
I must have missed your post with the removal hints..
Old 08-03-2003, 04:20 PM   #72
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I am reviving this thread because we are now interested in replacing the beltline and rubrail of our 78 ARgosy Minuet. It has a few pieces of the orange vinyl still clinging but most was repainted (now chipping and peeling) blue by PO. Before we order from Inland Andy wanted to check and see if any of you finally got the job done, any pitfalls you encountered, and if anyone might have a 50' roll left that you would sell? We measured the trailer and it is not quite 50' around (ours is a 22' Minuet, so smaller than most). Inland is selling 50' for $30. plus shipping right now. I am looking for BOTH the beltline (50') and the rubrail (50' or maybe a little less, cause wheel wells take up space). Real interested and waiting to hear. thanks, Leigh

ps: looks like the Inland parts # for our particular vinyl inserts are

beltline #70494 and rubrail #70530. Andy if you read this, correct me if I am wrong. Thanks
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:35 PM   #73
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
You are correct.

We do have 244 feet of Orange rub rail, but none of the belt line.

Perhaps you can find some orange belt line someplace.

Andy
Old 08-03-2003, 04:52 PM   #74
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Andy!!! Glad to see you are here!! Actually I like the blue insert, blue is the color I am using in the interior of our "Mini" so that will work great. Thanks for the OK on the parts #'s.

On another note... we have a crack going partway around the drain of our bath sink. Tried to caulk, but still leaking down below to inside base and ruining anything stored there. Do you have replacement for molded sink top for a 78 Argosy Minuet?

And.... we have a really bad vent top for the furnace. Have no idea what it looked like originally, but it looks like the top broke off - there is still some kind of screening down inside, but worried about water getting into furnace as the top is exposed. Would a picture of it help?? Greatly appreciate all your help. LEigh
Old 08-04-2003, 04:04 AM   #75
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The sink can be fix without removal. Or, if no one near you can do it, send it to us and we will fix it.

Please send me a photo of the vent area that you need a part for.

Andy
Old 08-04-2003, 05:38 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
fridge?

Andy,

I bet she is referring to the fridge roof vent. My Argosy had plastic covers for them just like their plumbing vents. The years in the sun really took their toll on them. I bought all new aluminum ones from you and replaced mine, fridge vent and vent pipe covers

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:24 AM   #77
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hello again - I am going to start a new thread titled "Sink Repair or Replace?" to post my ??? and photos as others might be interested in future and it does not really relate to blue trim molding. Lookin forward to your reply. Thanks, Leigh
Old 08-04-2003, 04:57 PM   #78
1 Rivet Member

Wink 1/2 inch blue trim

I have a 1976 Land Yacht, Trade Wind,
just replaced my 1/2 inch vinyl trim last week. Got the 50 foot roll from my local airstream dealer. total coast $12..00 plus tax. A good deal if I must say so myself.
dcfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:51 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
No kiddin'!! 12 bucks a roll?? I will take 2 rolls please! I think someone goofed, that is way too cheap!

Seriously, hook me up with this dealer, send me a pm.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:05 PM   #80
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
DCFL - Maybe you could post the name and # (tollfree?) of your AS dealer here to help others out in need of the blue molding. That would be nice!!!

Andy - I hope you look at this post again. You asked for a photo and I am hopelessly slow at learning the insandouts of the tech world. I have managed thru a several day process to succesfully paste a picture of the vent stack in question to my new post called "Sink - Repair or Replace" and would love for you to clue me in and tell me if you can replace??? Thanks, Leigh