Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Where to get segment protectors

So where does one get these segment protectors and how much do they cost? Do you have to butcher your Airstream to install these things? They look to be made of stainless steel.

If these things cost as much as I paid for my Airstream what is the point?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
If your rig isn't worth much then you might not want to pay the cost. They are made of stainless steel, and are bulky to ship so finding a local dealer may help keep your cost down.

ODMRV has them on sale right now.

Stainless Steel Wrap Protectors 1982 and Prior SKU9795 [9795] - $536.58 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
found mine on ebay, but they were still $300 plus shipping. That is still better then a hole from a rock in my lower segment!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I had them on one of my Airstreams, had them put on at the factory. I was disappointed that they dented up like the AL panels, and over time looked no better. They looked nice when new, however. So, my opinion is they add cost, weight, and clutter, for no real advantage. If you want to dress up an old battered front, maybe. At least they will look good for a while, but they do dent.

Like putting slip covers on a sofa, to save it for some other person? Grin.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
rock shileds

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I had them on one of my Airstreams, had them put on at the factory. I was disappointed that they dented up like the AL panels, and over time looked no better. They looked nice when new, however. So, my opinion is they add cost, weight, and clutter, for no real advantage. If you want to dress up an old battered front, maybe. At least they will look good for a while, but they do dent.

Not so much to preserve the looks, but to protect the skin from possible holes from stones. Stainless steel will dent, but it's much harder to pierce it.
Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Perry. Any Airstream dealer can order these for you. This should cut the shipping costs if you can go pick them up. Airstream.com's dealer search at the top of their page shows dealers in Montevallo, AL, Anniston, AL, Louisville TN and Alpharetta, GA.

Be sure to tell them the year of your trailer -- Airstreams became 6" wider in 1994.

I've dented up my segment protectors -- would rather have the dents there than on the actual trailer skin.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well I think putting some mud flaps on the truck will help some. Most if not all the rocks that are going to hit that area are from the truck tires. This is why they are so low down on the corners, maybe no higher than 1ft above the belly band. Any higher than that and they would hit the bottom of the truck instead of the trailer.

Perry
Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post

BUT, because they are removable and stainless, the dents roll out very nicely with a body dolly. Pulled mine off this summer and worked them. From 5 feet away you can't see any dents. Up close you can see the "pocks" where metal had been displaced, but NO dents!

Also, if they get bad, they are A LOT cheaper than replacing the segments!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Perry,
New Market, huh? I lived in Hazel Green for a few years...still have friends there...

An alternate reason to install Segment Protectors is to cover existing damage!

Anyway...It's just a few screw holes in the front for the hinges...the side mounts are pretty important...they are riveted stand-offs and If ya only install 1 per side (Like my '91 had)...it's possible that they will rip out.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have seen some on the newer trailers that looked like they were made out of Lexan.

Perry
Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Perry,
New Market, huh? I lived in Hazel Green for a few years...still have friends there...

An alternate reason to install Segment Protectors is to cover existing damage!

Anyway...It's just a few screw holes in the front for the hinges...the side mounts are pretty important...they are riveted stand-offs and If ya only install 1 per side (Like my '91 had)...it's possible that they will rip out.
Yeah, 2 standoffs per side is necessary.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Well I think putting some mud flaps on the truck will help some. Most if not all the rocks that are going to hit that area are from the truck tires. This is why they are so low down on the corners, maybe no higher than 1ft above the belly band. Any higher than that and they would hit the bottom of the truck instead of the trailer.

Perry
TOWtector works well..

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towtector.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	777.9 KB
ID:	143845  
Old 10-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I pull a 25 year old trailer witout the segment guards. The trailer has taken a beating. One hole, several more near punctures, big dent that required removing and re-sealing the bottom band. If you have a fairly new trailer I would reccomend the segment protectors. I choose not to add them to an old one that already had dents. I have the full width mudflap on the truck. It does not keep stuff from hitting the trailer. The bigestst dent came from a piece of wood, like a 2x4, in the road. Saw it, but could not dodge it. Mud flaps did not stop it. End on into the trailer.
I think segment protectors cost about $800. More important, I think, are the rockguards for the curved window on front.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Segment "Wrap" protectors

I ordered my Segment "Wrap" protectors from Out of Doors Mart for my 1976 31' Sovereign and they arrived today. They had the best price that I could find even better than ordering from an Airstream dealer or shop.

I will post some pictures of the install and finished project.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think Outdoors Mart is an AS dealer.

Perry
Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
I think Outdoors Mart is an AS dealer.

Perry
Yes they are an Airstream Dealer. I meant more local to me here in Houston TX. Although there are no Airstream dealers here there are dealers in San Antonio and a and some service shops that I checked with and the going price was $750+ which did not include shipping.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have thought of making some segment protectors that mount on a frame that is attached to the a-frame in the front behind the tanks. I could probably make the frame out of aluminum and put stainless skins over it or I might be able to put Kevlar or Beta Cloth over them and paint them silver. I have some of the latter at work. We have some aluminized Beta Cloth already, just a thought. The frame would mean no attachment to the skins.

Perry
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I ordered my Segment "Wrap" protectors

I will post some pictures of the install and finished project.

OK I have one installed one side. Looks good. Doing it by myself took a little longer. It would have helped to have someone holding the wrap while measuring for the holes to drill for the hinge. But I got it done. As usual the instructions left a lot to be desired. The reference pictures are not that good and the instruction are a little vague in spots. But once you get going it seems to all fall in line. They included all of the parts, screws and rivets. But the small stainless steel rivets would not fit in the predrilled holes in the brackets that hold the wrap to the sides. So you have to drill these out to match the size of the rivets.

Pictures after the 2nd one is installed tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
OK I have one installed one side. Looks good. Doing it by myself took a little longer. It would have helped to have someone holding the wrap while measuring for the holes to drill for the hinge. But I got it done. As usual the instructions left a lot to be desired. The reference pictures are not that good and the instruction are a little vague in spots. But once you get going it seems to all fall in line. They included all of the parts, screws and rivets. But the small stainless steel rivets would not fit in the predrilled holes in the brackets that hold the wrap to the sides. So you have to drill these out to match the size of the rivets.

Pictures after the 2nd one is installed tomorrow.

All done. They look real good and the black roll on the wrap matches the new black roll on the Airstream.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrap1.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	162479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrap2.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	162480  

Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Quote:
I have thought of making some segment protectors that mount on a frame that is attached to the a-frame in the front behind the tanks. I could probably make the frame out of aluminum and put stainless skins over it or I might be able to put Kevlar or Beta Cloth over them and paint them silver. I have some of the latter at work. We have some aluminized Beta Cloth already, just a thought. The frame would mean no attachment to the skins.

Perry

Two years ago I made cardboard templates for the segment protectors and took them to a sheet metal shop in Sacramento, CA. They told me that it would cost $600 for the stainless steel and the cuts. If someone can find a sheet metal shop that will make 20 - 40 of the segment protectors for less than $200 a pair I suspect that there are enough vintage owners who would be interested in buying them.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote