Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2005, 07:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

no answer on the lug bolt question

I seem to have run into a brick wall on the lug bolt question for installing Aluminum wheels on my 1976 Airstream. I have not been able to find either a chrome lug bolt replacement or a screw-in wheel stud to replace the lug bolt that anyone feels would do the job safely. No help from Airstream at all or Alcoa or any of the other wheel distributors. One suggestion was to replace the wheel hubs but that is a big undertaking that I really did not want to do.

I was encouraged when I found this post on the forum from user name "Tim and Cindy" posted on 5-16-04:

>I found some interesting information from the Airstream Tech Line. They
>advised to covert the drums to wheel studs and use lug nuts designed for >the Alcoa wheels. They even provided a part number.

>I ordered screw in studs from Summit Racing. They are a high grade
>replacement stud. They come in two or three inches. I chose the three >inch due to the depth of the threaded drum opening and the thickness of >the Aluminum wheel hub. I will order lug nuts and covers from Alcoa. I hope >this helps if anyone else is considering converting to aluminum wheels and
>currently have drums fit with lug bolts instead of studs. Tim and Cindy

However the advise I received from Airstream Tech was not to use studs and I have not been able to find the screw in studs from Summit racing mentioned above. I was hoping to get more details and part number and sent a private message to "Tim and Cindy" but no reply and this was the last post by him on the forum.

Still searching for a way to do this, any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Don
Old 04-29-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Check your local auto parts supplier for studs that will work. Many years ago I changed from bolts to studs on my Coleman trailer, and that is where I got the studs. If they don't have them in stock, they should be able to get them.

You might also try rjays speed shop http://rjays.com. They carry the aluminum wheels that are used on current Airstreams at a good price. Can't find the studs on their web site, but a call to them might find the studs you need.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:47 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Rivet Here is the info from RJay's

I receiced a response from RJay's:

"We have screw-in studs that will replace your wheel bolts and allow you to use standard lug nuts. They are 1/2" fine thread on both ends - the end that screws into the hub is 1-3/16" long while the wheel end is 1-1/16". The part number is #RED25-53, and are priced per each at $1.79. RJay"

This seems to be what is needed. Any thoughts, pro or can in replacing the lug bolts with wheel screws/lug nuts??

Don
Old 05-04-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
don dont worry I am waiting for 6 months now :-(((((for my wheel bolts also bought alloy rims and the standard bolts are to short need 1-1/2 inch of tread
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote