Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I made a wooden tray to hold the Equalizer hitch, add on tow mirrors, WD bars, and other miscellaneous stuff. It has carpet covered rails on the bottom which protect the floor when it is in the trailer. It slides on furniture glides on a two-part base that goes in the back of the truck. When we store the trailer, the tray goes in the trailer and then the hitch head, bars, mirrors, etc. are put in the tray. When we pick up the trailer, everything mounts on the truck and then the base and tray go in the back of the truck. The tray slides out onto the tailgate on a fold down flap so I don't have to lean over the tailgate to put the hitch in or get it out. If we are staying at a campsite long enough to unhitch, the hitch and accessories go in the tray, on the base, in the back of the truck.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
There has been mention of leaving the ball and hitch attached to the TV. My ball and hitch extend out from my TV too far for my comfort. What is it called, KNEE BREAKER? I think that I have seen in other threads that it unlawful in some states to leave the ball and hitch installed when not attached the a trailer or something.

Bill and Janice, We're lovin' it! (Airstreaming)

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I leave the ball in the receiver on the truck. It doesn't stick out that far. (If you run into it, you are way too close to my truck.) Besides, with my knees and hips, it's really painful to get down there to pull that pin out.

The bars I lay across the A frame behind the propane tanks. No, I'm not worried about somebody stealling them. They're not much good without the head and the parts bolted to the A frame.

If, by some really strange twist of fate, somebody did steal them, I can tow the trailer on the ball to a dealer for a new hitch. My insurance deductable is only $250. Small price to pay for a new hitch. Besides, I would like to have a Blue Ox or ProPride, anyway.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I pull the ProPride stinger out of the truck when it's not hitched. It gets carefully dropped in a corner of the garage where I won't stumble or trip over it. Balance of the hitch stays on the trailer as a deterrent and convenient ballast.

My only real issue with the ProPride is the sheer weight of the stinger. Typically, once I hitch up at the start of a trip the stinger stays on the truck until we get to our final destination. I generally stay hitched enrout because we stay at pull through sites at KOA or other easy in and out sites. We've managed to avoid backing, especially because we tend to pull in fairly late in the day, a consequence of traveling with dogs that need regular breaks. I need to park and set up quietly in the dark to avoid disturbing others.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Since we store our trailer at a secure location, we store our Hensley just inside the AS door.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
It is too bad that we all have to be paranoid about securing our stuff. What is mine is mine and yours is yours, let it be. That being said, when "camping" I store the ball hitch locked into the tongue receiver, the bars and the sway bars are stored behind the gas tanks on the "A" frame.
BTW! When I bought our AS the mechanic at the dealership stressed the fact that I should not lock the ball to the AS receiver, in the unfortunate event that I needed to separate the trailer from the TV quickly and need a key! I won't get into the details as to why we would need to separate the vehicles, quickly!!
I store mine exactly the same way as you do, and have done it that way for years. Works well for us!
I do agree with your mechanic, by the way, I use a snap pin to secure the couple latch when traveling....we've never had to "quickly" separate the vehicles, thank goodness....

Larry C
Old age is coming at a really bad time!

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #21
2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Our 27 is an FB model, with the storage locker in front. I stow my Reese spring bars in there, with the greasy ends in ziploc bags. They fit perfectly along the front edge of the locker.

The locker holds three Rubbermaid 10 gallon Roughneck totes:

I love these things! Only about $7 each at Home Despot, and I must have a dozen of 'em. They hold the shore power cord, hoses, leveling blocks, etc.

The Reese ball mount stinger goes in one of them, and stows in the back of the Tundra. The BBQ lives in another one.
Like the tortoise, travelin' slow with the house on our back
2012 FC27FB "Ted Zeppelin"
2010 Tundra Crewmax Platinum "Silver Rhino"
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:50 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
We have an Equalizer hitch for 27FB International, I keep the bars in the compartment behind the propane tanks, and the TV portion I keep in the garage when at home, and if I camping for a while I place the TV portion in a cardboard box behind the driver's seat. If I have to keep the TV portion on I cover it with a plastic grocery bag, so the grease stays in tact and the parts don't get difficult to move where the sway bars attach. (Learned the hard way on that one)
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:32 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
One of the nice things about our small trailer is there are no sway bars or extra items just the small hitch/ball, over which I put a small shopping bag and place it in the back of the Honda Pilot.
2015 Airstream Bambi Sport 16J
Past Travel Trailers:
*1992 Dutchmen 30' Bunk
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The ProPride hitch head and bars stays on the AS. The stinger assembly lays on the floor of my garage sort of out of the way. When I get the time I plan to make a smallish box out of plywood scraps with wheels and a set of slots to hold the stinger at the correct height to slip it into the TV receiver. It's a PITA and back to pick it up and try to align it while struggling to carry it.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
Santa Rosa , California
I fabrIcated a bracket from 2" square tubing that clamps vertically on the A-frame. When not in use the hitch drops right in and can be locked with a cable or chain. Bars go in storage compartment. This keeps "wrestling" the hitch to a minimum.
rnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The ProPride head and bars are attached to the A-frame. When camping I pull ahead a foot and slide the stinger back into the head, at home we store the stinger in the garage. I treat the wear areas with CorrosionX and occasionally with touchup paint, then cover it when stored.

This is what I do. Once unhooked at the campground I just take the hitch loose from the truck and lock it back into the head (ProPride) and then secure it with a pad lock. I also have a lock pin for the hitch so no one can hook up to it. At home the hitch part goes in the garage.

Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote