Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Jim

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Pennsylvania
up/down control on Barker hitch jack

Sometimes the UP control does not activate. I can usually get it to work by pressing the switch to DOWN momentarily, then again press UP. Is this a switch or motor problem? Is it likely to fail?
pjmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There are 2 internal parts that simply plug in. Right now I think they are limit swictches but am not sure. Try reversing them or replacing them before giving up on the jack. You can get custodmer service from Barker and they are helpful.

Mr. Barker has become a bit persnickity with me. If I don't stop short of the felly exetended position I will often blow a fuse.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoser View Post
Sometimes the UP control does not activate. I can usually get it to work by pressing the switch to DOWN momentarily, then again press UP. Is this a switch or motor problem? Is it likely to fail?
It's most likely the switch, and they usually fail in the "up" mode because that's where the load is that requires a higher current draw.

If you're savy about DC theory, you can take the top of the jack off, reverse the output wires from the switch to the motor, and then the intermittent will be on the down, or low current demand side. Eventually you'll need to replace the switch.

Just went thru this exercise on our trailer last month.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
I just had this problem as well. Just change out the switch, it's easy to do. The cost was like $16 plus postage.

John H
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
bfd
1 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Athens , Alabama
I'm having a similar problem with my tongue jack, except that in my case, the 'up' function still works, but the 'down' function has failed. Occasionally it will still work in down mode, but only occasionally.

I tried reversing the control wires on the switch in the power head, and this restores the 'down' functionality, at the expense of the 'up' function. After performing this test, I assumed the switch was at fault, and got a new replacement switch. But this had no effect on the problem; the behavior was still the same with the new switch.

At that point I did a continuity check on the old switch (I should have done that first) and found the switch is functioning as it should.

So it appears I have a good switch and a good motor. That is, the motor still runs perfectly in both directions; only, not without reversing the control leads at the switch. Anybody have any thoughts? I don't want to buy a whole new tongue jack next and find out that I still haven't fixed the problem.

thanks,
Bruce
bfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The only thing I can think of, and this is just a guess, but maybe an intermittent limit switch. Or, possibly a resistance connection at one of the connectors.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Change out the switch...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
bfd
1 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Athens , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
I assumed the switch was at fault, and got a new replacement switch. But this had no effect on the problem; the behavior was still the same with the new switch.
Yeah, tried replacing the switch. I ended up just buying a new Barker jack and took the power head off of it, then replaced the old one with it. Maybe not the most efficient or cost-effective approach, but it fixed the problem. And it looks very nice.
bfd is offline   Reply With Quote