Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Towing 08 SE 23" FB That Bounces

We switched to a longer wheel base vehicle with a higher towing capacity. We had a 800#/8000# Reese with the older vehicle, and towing with the new, it has a bounce in the back end of the trailer (I was following in our MH).

Since the new TV has a higher towing capacity and stiffer frame, could this be causing it? Should we switch to 600# bars?
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
What is your current tow vehicle? I see you had a GC. I have a 3/4 ton burb and moved down to 650lb bars, though I'm not sure the bars are what is causing bounce. Have you made sure the shocks are there?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Its and 08, I assumed the shocks were there. I don't think I had the bounce with the GC, so I think maybe the bars could be the cause? Could there be something else going on with the AS shocks?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Dunno...what is your current tow vehicle?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Is your rig level when hooked up? There might be too much tension on the bars. If your new Aspen has load leveling suspension, your set up should have been done with the system off if its like our Tahoe. Or is your rear end on the Aspen high? You may need to adjust the angle of the hitch head. Post pictures when hooked up. It might help with responses.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Dear Subfan, the rear of the Aspen is higher than the front when unhitched. When we add the reese receiver and hook up the AS the aspen is level without the bars. What does the adjustment of the ball front or back do? Since this is the hitch we had with the GC, we had a hitch guy come out and see if it needed adjustments. We hooked it up and the trailer is level, but no adjustments were made to the ball, etc. We did go from 3 links to 4 links on the chain, but had bounce.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbambi View Post
We switched to a longer wheel base vehicle with a higher towing capacity. We had a 800#/8000# Reese with the older vehicle, and towing with the new, it has a bounce in the back end of the trailer (I was following in our MH).

Since the new TV has a higher towing capacity and stiffer frame, could this be causing it? Should we switch to 600# bars?
Bouncing is transfered from the tow vehicle thru the hitch bars, to the trailer.

With a given hitch bar rating, the heavier duty the tow vehicle, the greater the bounce on the trailer.

When changing to a heavier duty tow vhivl, you must lower the rating of the hitch bars.

You can drop yours to the 600 pound bars, which will noticeably help.

Double check that your trailer is equipped with shocks.

Lastly, make sure your running gear is properly balanced.

Many owners install Centramatic wheel balancers that solve the balancing problems.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
What are your bars rated at? If you dropped links it sounds like they may have too much tension. Look at Andy's post regarding the 600lb bars.
Have you dialed your rig correct yet? I may be pretty close to buying one and I'd like to know your towing experience with your rig.
Thanks
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
lighter weight bars!

Followed Andy's instructions and switched from 800 to 600 lb bars - a world of difference to the good.

Just do it.

Paula
Old 05-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Hey Paula, just ordered the 660# bars and should be in on Wednesday! I am leaving for JC in a week and should get a good test of the new rig and the new bars - going through the blue ridge mountains and smokie mountains and on up the 75 one of the roughest roads in the US! Should be a true test, I would think!

Nancy
Old 05-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Overland Park , Kansas
Problem With The GC

Just curious.....what was the problem with the GC. Noticed you had an "08". Did you have the Hemi engine? Given the spec's of the GC, you should have had no problems towing the 23 footer.
acsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Towing Capacities

We bought the GC (Overland with Hemi 5.7L) to tow our then 08 Bambi. We then traded in the bambi for a 23' Safari.

One thing to remember is that the towing capacities that the manufactures list in their specifications are a base number. you have to consider the length, weight and tongue weight of the trailer. Were we within the specs from Jeep, yes. But when you consider the weight and wheelbase of the jeep and look at the weight specs for the AS, add any weight that is added to the Jeep (passengers, anything stowed in the back of the jeep, hitch, etc), plus the weight of the AS and all the fluids, personal belongings, etc., that is where you can see the specs erode.

Could we have continued to tow with the GC, yes, would we be constantly be worried about the next road, YES. Weighing the axle and tongue weight and all of the above factors, we would have purchased a different vehicle, which we just did.

The GC is a great vehicle, I hated to see it go, but it is safely in the 19-20' league, with anything you can load in it or the Jeep. Beyond that, get a larger TV capacity.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
Silver Lamb

1969 27' Overlander
1961 16' Bambi
Bonner Springs , Kansas
ACSimon, you say you are currently looking. Are you looking for Vintage or newer?
EweMama is offline   Reply With Quote