Old 01-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
Silver Mist
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Question Tongue weight ?

Does the tongue weight change if you change the height of the ball?

I think if you lower the ball (nose down) the weight would increase and visa versa.

Anyone ever play around with a scale trying it?

'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
On a single axle trailer it should make no difference because the fulcrum point never changes. On a multi axle (2+) trailer there would be some change because of the transfer of weight from one axle to another. If you could lower the trailer enough (in theory) to lift the rear Axel or raise it enough to raise the front Axel, the fulcrum point would be moved the distance between axles and cause a substantial hitch weight difference.

That being said, I doubt that the movement of the ball up or down a few inches would create any significant change.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Silver Mist
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I think you're correct on single axle, I was thinking dual or triple.

Anyone know the math on this?
'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Site Team
, Minnesota
Richard is correct that the change in tongue weight will be neglible within reasonable chenges in ball height (+/- 2 inches).

The math works like this:

1. The weight distribution between axles will change, but the tongue weight very slightly.

2. The change in tongue weight is computed geometrically. You need to locate the center of gravity of the trailer, which is probably a foot ot two above the floor, and 2 to 4 feet ahead of the center point of the axles. You draw a line from the axle to the hitch ball, and a line perpendicular to that line that passes through the center of gravity. As you tip the line forward, by lowering the ball, the perpendicular line will also tilt forward (may 1/4"?) indicating how far the center of gravity has moved. Calculate the weight shift using basic trigonometry.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I never had had our rig set up by a pro. We bought the 28 used and the p.o. shoved the hitch in our truck and we drove off. From previous posts I raised the ball to make the trailer level. Initially and for over 7k miles it was slightly tipping to the nose. The truck was always level and on 5 chain links on a reese dual cam. A.S. now riding level and no change in truck. I would really like to take it to inland andy when in California for his opinion, in route and running through nebraska out of michigan.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Tongue Weight Change.

I put digital race scales under my single axle trailer and changing the tongue height changed the weight slightly. Lowering it about 3 inched added 5 lbs on a 340 lb tongue. Lowering it about 5 inches raised it to 10 lbs. We didn't go any farther. We were mainly trying to level it out. The weight would be affected more by shifting liquids in the tanks.

2bkidfree is offline   Reply With Quote