Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Thonotosassa , Florida
reese hitch, Minuet 7.3 compatiility

How does one attach the rear hangars for the Reese hitch on a Minuet? The propane tank tray is located at the point where they should be. Also the A frame is a c channel rather than a tube. Do I really need equaization on this unit to tow it with a f150 with a 300 cu in engine and 5 speed tranny? Thanks Curt
minuet7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by minuet7.3
How does one attach the rear hangars for the Reese hitch on a Minuet? The propane tank tray is located at the point where they should be. Also the A frame is a c channel rather than a tube. Do I really need equaization on this unit to tow it with a f150 with a 300 cu in engine and 5 speed tranny? Thanks Curt
Welcome aboard, Curt!
The hangers should have bolts long enough the run all the way in to the C channel, if not, you can get longer bolts at your local RV supply store, or even hardware store.
Yes, you need equalization, and sway control is highly recommended, on any coach with a tongue weight in excess of 350 pounds.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
Buy a truck

You need to think about getting a truck with a larger engine. That 4.9 isn't going to set any speed records towing your trailer, unless you push it out of an airplane. nThe 6 cylinder is great for pulling stuff, but not very fast.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:43 PM   #4
Forums Sticker Outlaw

Kingston , Surrey
Ditch the six!

There's no replacement for displacement! Check out a truck or van with a 350 or better V8, you will be a lot happier towing with it.
Bumperstickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If the rig is stable without the bars and you are not loading down the back of the truck too much maybe you could get away without them. If not, having a slight angle on the chains (if you do not have a twin cam setup) is not too big a problem.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Curt!

Quote:
The attached photo is of my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre (the basic A-Frames are similar on all of the Minuets so far as I have been able to determine). It is equipped with a Reese Straight-Line Hitch that includes the Dual Cam Sway Control. There were no problems with attaching the components, and no adjustments were necessary for the LP Tank hold-down hardware.

I am sold on the Straight-Line Hitch and utilize whether I am towing with my Cadillac Edlorado, Dodge Coronet 500, or GMC K2500 Suburban. The loaded hitch weight on your 7.3 Metre Minuet is likely somewhat comparable to what I have with my 6.0 Metre or somewhere around 525 pounds depending upon how much water is in the front mounted water tank. To me, even with a 3/4-ton truck-based SUV, I like the extra peace of mind provided by the Straight-Line Hitch with Dual Cam Sway Control -- once the hitch is properly set-up, there are no further adjustments required unless there is a significant change in hitch weight or tow vehicle.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Ditch the six!
There's no replacement for displacement! Check out a truck or van with a 350 or better V8, you will be a lot happier towing with it.

Quote:
Buy a truck
You need to think about getting a truck with a larger engine. That 4.9 isn't going to set any speed records towing your trailer, unless you push it out of an airplane. nThe 6 cylinder is great for pulling stuff, but not very fast.

The 300 ci 6 in an F150 is a great engine and is more then suitable for towing your little trailer.
Every Airstream I have towed home has been with a 92 F150 4x4 extra cab 300 ci 6 cyl with a 5 spd and it has never let me down.
It has 170000 miles on it.

I live in the mountains of western NC
RichardT
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Thonotosassa , Florida
Thanks for the photo. The propane bottles on your rig are located differently than mine. They are tight against the coach on my 7.3. I guess that I am going to have to move them as the mounting brackets for the bars wont bolt up until they are moved. Also I have 30 pound tanks. Will moving them cause any problems.
Curt
Old 01-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Thonotosassa , Florida
I have pulled work trailers that are much heavier than the Minuet throuhout the eatern half of the USA. The 300 pulls them fine. With the cost of fuel today it does not make sense to run a 351 or a400 all year in order to be able to run 75 mph 5 or 6 times a year pulling the trailer. The 300 is perfectly happy pulling at 55 to 60
Curt
Old 01-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Curt!

Quote:
Thanks for the photo. The propane bottles on your rig are located differently than mine. They are tight against the coach on my 7.3. I guess that I am going to have to move them as the mounting brackets for the bars wont bolt up until they are moved. Also I have 30 pound tanks. Will moving them cause any problems.
Curt
I don't believe that you will encounter any problems moving the tanks forward on the hitch as it was common to mount the spare tire behind the LP tanks when the coaches were new -- I believe this was the factory position for the optional factory spare tire carrier. I know that the only real problem in relocating the tanks on my Overlander was the welding of the bracket on the hitch -- it was a small problem that my dealer handled in short order (the tanks on the Overlander needed relocating to make room to open the front window when I switched from 30 pound to 40 pound tanks).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote