Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
Propride hits the market

Got my Propride Hitch Today. Looks real clean and well made. Powder Coat is flawless (white speckel in pic is pacling material dust) I plan on installing late this week or on the weekend.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366_1_1.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	61121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367_2_1.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	61122  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368_3_1.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	61123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0369_4_1.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	61124  

__________________

__________________
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
E Pluribus Aluminus
 
Jaxon's Avatar
 
2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,214
Images: 10
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Keep us posted on your new ProPride (& post some pics once set up!), Jim. We're considering one or a Hensley...
__________________

__________________
Bill & Kim
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
TinShack's Avatar

 
2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,438
Images: 28
That's great, Jim! I can't wait to hear what you think of it. Post some pics when you have it installed...or better yet document the installation process!
__________________
Steve
"THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS"
TinShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
As soon as I get going on this I will post updates. ...
__________________
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
New Member
 
1989 34' Excella
wilmington , Delaware
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
3P Propride Hitch

I've done a ton of research on all brands of W/D hitches, but I did finally decide on the 3P due to the design improvements over the Hensley(HAHA). We just installed our 3P hitch last night. It took about 3 hours with 2 people doing the install. I'd recommend 2 to do the install. The fit was very good although the new paint made a couple of parts a bit tight to install although it wasn't an issue. There were no issues, with any missing pieces or fit of any sort. It came with a double ended wrench to tighten the spring bars, a socket and and extension bar for the hitch bolts. It has 8 line bolts, nice welds, and nice hard paint. I got the extender kit, and now I want to replace the old chains that I have to look as good as the new ones. It was a bit of a learning curve to figure out how the thing really works. We're putting never seize on all bolts just in case and going back over the bolts with torque limiting extensions tonight. Still unsure of how much pressure is needed on the spring bars, but we'll do that tonight too. Think I might call Sean to triple check torque on them. I'm please to say that there were no modifications required to do the install. We're taking a 4500 mile or (with new 16 inch rims and new Michelin L/T tires, 225/75/16, and I've done more research on rims and tire too so let me know if you need any info on them) so round trip leaving soon and will be back late June so more details to come on towing, sway, turning, and backing functionality. BTW, I placed the order for the hitch a couple of months ago and have a trip deadline to meet and Sean Woodruff got the thing shipped in no time. It reached us in 2 days, packed in 4 boxes. I did have a question about the pivot pin placement when doing the install, but he provided his cell phone number and in about 20 seconds he walked me though finding the hole that was right in front of my face...it was actually drilled horizontally into the 2x2 hitch bar that fits into the TV. He is very responsive and helpful, thanks again Sean.
__________________
owheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Over59's Avatar
 
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,064
Images: 37
How is this different from the Hensley? What's changed in the design?
__________________
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
crispyboy's Avatar
 
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,656
Images: 3
You guys are going to have to start "The ultimate PP users guide" like the one for the HAHA.
Hope the hitch is all you expected and more. They sure look nice.
__________________
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master<br><img src="/ugala/forums/images/5rivet.gif">
 
CanoeStream's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,279
Images: 19
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
How is this different from the Hensley? What's changed in the design?
From posts on AIR, my impression is that the Hensley patent expired a few years back. The Pro-Pride evidently duplicates the dynamics of the Hensley. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ach-37994.html
__________________
Bob

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member
 
Sean Woodruff's Avatar
 
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 618
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYJIM2
Got my Propride Hitch Today. Looks real clean and well made. Powder Coat is flawless (white speckel in pic is pacling material dust) I plan on installing late this week or on the weekend.

Jim

Man those boxes take a BEATING!

I have the "Sealed Air" rep coming in next week to get the foam in place packaging to see if that will help the box beatings.

Glad to hear you like the Powder Coat. Had a guy tell me he actually dropped the main unit from about 3 feet onto concrete and it didn't even chip it!

Heard another first today too. A dealer installed a hitch for a customer on a new trailer. The customer didn't look at it, and the dealer didn't talk to him about it, and towed all the way home with the over-center-latches not latched on the hitch bar!
__________________
ProPride Hitch
"The Next Generation in Trailer Sway Elimination"
Grand Blanc, MI
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member
 
Sean Woodruff's Avatar
 
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 618
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by owheely
I've done a ton of research on all brands of W/D hitches, but I did finally decide on the 3P due to the design improvements over the Hensley(HAHA). We just installed our 3P hitch last night. It took about 3 hours with 2 people doing the install. I'd recommend 2 to do the install. The fit was very good although the new paint made a couple of parts a bit tight to install although it wasn't an issue. There were no issues, with any missing pieces or fit of any sort. It came with a double ended wrench to tighten the spring bars, a socket and and extension bar for the hitch bolts. It has 8 line bolts, nice welds, and nice hard paint. I got the extender kit, and now I want to replace the old chains that I have to look as good as the new ones. It was a bit of a learning curve to figure out how the thing really works. We're putting never seize on all bolts just in case and going back over the bolts with torque limiting extensions tonight. Still unsure of how much pressure is needed on the spring bars, but we'll do that tonight too. Think I might call Sean to triple check torque on them. I'm please to say that there were no modifications required to do the install. We're taking a 4500 mile or (with new 16 inch rims and new Michelin L/T tires, 225/75/16, and I've done more research on rims and tire too so let me know if you need any info on them) so round trip leaving soon and will be back late June so more details to come on towing, sway, turning, and backing functionality. BTW, I placed the order for the hitch a couple of months ago and have a trip deadline to meet and Sean Woodruff got the thing shipped in no time. It reached us in 2 days, packed in 4 boxes. I did have a question about the pivot pin placement when doing the install, but he provided his cell phone number and in about 20 seconds he walked me though finding the hole that was right in front of my face...it was actually drilled horizontally into the 2x2 hitch bar that fits into the TV. He is very responsive and helpful, thanks again Sean.

Thanks for the kind words, Carl.

You'll get the feel for the weight distribution when you get the whole rig on the road. You can start with them at their maximum and back them down if your ride is too stiff.
__________________
ProPride Hitch
"The Next Generation in Trailer Sway Elimination"
Grand Blanc, MI
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
Propride Install

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	655.2 KB
ID:	61758

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	745.7 KB
ID:	61760

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0373.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	632.3 KB
ID:	61762

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	762.0 KB
ID:	61763

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	929.9 KB
ID:	61764

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	802.1 KB
ID:	61765

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0379.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	868.8 KB
ID:	61766

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	602.5 KB
ID:	61767
__________________
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
Propride Install

Note that on our 31 we hade to take out the pop rivits that hold a bracket, connecting the gas line to the frame in order to install one of the U bolts. We simply used a heavy duty Zip tie to re secure the line to the and it worked fine. It is only necessary to take the rivits out on the forward bracket. We used the industrial size zip and attached to the cross bar which supports the yoke....works fine. Any feedback would be appreciated in terms of the install. What do you guys think,,,does the install look close? Thanks! Jim
__________________
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #13
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member
 
Sean Woodruff's Avatar
 
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 618
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
I think it looks great... good job!

That line has always been in the way of getting anything up on the bottom of the frame on the Airstream. You can also bend the hose clamp down a bit to get something between the line and the frame.
__________________
ProPride Hitch
"The Next Generation in Trailer Sway Elimination"
Grand Blanc, MI
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
Ya with our measurements we were right on top of the airstream connection point with the clamp that attached the gas line. So we just opted to give things a little more flex room and tie it in with a heavy zip. Someone elses measurements and a slightly different connection point by airstream and it could have been accomodated with a bend. Each situation I think will be slightly different. All in all the install wasn't difficult. Now I want to get some time on this baby abd I will let you guys know....just took it down the road a few miles tonight. So far so good. Jim

PS Boy that wiring situation to the break away is really stupid the way the tank cover crimps down on the wiring. I'm getting some heavy rubber pieces of something under there to give it a bit of breathing room. You would think with new units off the line ....this nagging little issue would have been resolved by now.
__________________

__________________
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big DEE hits 1000!!! Buttercup Our Community 6 05-10-2007 07:40 AM
Our new (not so) baby hits the road. Pecos Pete Our Community 10 02-08-2007 06:48 PM
NEW 1948 Suburban hits the market! 85MH325 Off Topic Forum 21 09-10-2005 08:03 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.