Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Newbie ? About raising tounge jack for blue ocean hook up

Just started using new camper with BO hitch. Technician said to raise jack up very high if not max to connect and disconnect bars. Is this ok on equipment, namely the receiver, the part that goes in the receiver and the tounge jack? Don't know how I'd hook/unhook without raising it very high. The part that goes in the receiver already has a small crease on the top where it contacts the top of receiver when raising. Thx
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Using the jack to reduce the effort of loading the bars on many hitch systems is common. The limiting factor is generally the rating on the electric jack. As far a an effect on any parts of the hitch it should not be a problem. The static loads produced are much smaller than the dynamic loads produced while traveling.

To be sure it might help if you posted a picture of the crease you mention so we can determine what may have caused it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
What is blue ocean hitch and how can be crease in part that goes in receiver as all use solid steel shank?
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I am hoping he meant Blue Ox but will have to wait for clarification.
This is what comes up for Blue Ocean.

https://www.google.com/#q=blue+ocean+hitch+

Old 08-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
It is very important to connect this system properly for safe operation that can seriously affect you and the trailer. I suggest you find a knowledgeable dealer and have him show you the proper way to use this system and inspect system for present condition. Take out the guess work from day one. This is too important to waste much time experimenting.
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
A few tips:
You might find it easier to take the tension off your BO bars by adding a block of wood or similar support under the jack foot. I add up to 5 inches to reduce the amount of travel the jack has to extend.

Im also looking into the Atwood Robofoot as a means of adding extra height when needed.
There's another one called Fastway (?) that is similar.

I just stopped using the BO tool they provide (to lock or release the chains) as it doesn't give enough clearance to prevent injury to my hands IMHO. I bought a 1 inch hex socket for my 1/2 inch drive breaker bar, and added a 6 inch extention for the socket. Now I can release those chains safely even if the bars still have some tension on them. That also means I dont always have to extend the jack all the way.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Blue Ox

Auto correct wording. It is a blue Ox Here's my current / immediate problem. Just got to site. It is gravel and slightly inclines to the rear of site but is flat laterally. I have chocked wheels put truck in park used about 12" of block under tounge jack and maxed jack out, but there seems to be a lot of tension still on chains. When installed, tech showed me how to hook up. Counted 8 chain links hookeing 8th link in cam lock slots. First couple of times at home i was able to hook up and disconnect ok, but first trip out one side had more tension than I recognized and slipped out of my sweaty hand and welcomed me to camping. That spot was bad, I realized after the fact as it placed the tv and txt low at the hitch. I think. I'm somewhat shell shocked to press my luck so will stay hooked up tonight and look at it when I get home. I'm sweaty, tired and ready for a beer or I might try another spot.
TV: 2015 GMC Sierra with tow package
TT: 2017 FC 25FB
BO. BXW1000
Old 08-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the terrain does not let you hitch but you can couple just couple and pull the combination to level ground for the hitching.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
It seems taxing to say the least if I have to find a completely level spot to unhook with this hitch. Been to three sites in last three days and they vary a lot.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I have a Blue Ox hitch & understood that the chains were to be hitched on the 6th, not the 8th, link. That may be one reason why you're having so much trouble connecting the chains.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, something is seriously wrong if you have a 12" block and still maxed out your tongue jack.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I have a Blue Ox hitch & understood that the chains were to be hitched on the 6th, not the 8th, link. That may be one reason why you're having so much trouble connecting the chains.
Perhaps not - depending on the combo the OP has that may be the number of links they need to get the tug & trailer set up correctly and level.

What Blue Ox instructions actually say is that you should start your set up with 3 links showing hanging under the latch which would as you suggest put it at the 6th link. That is just the START of the set up process though. You then need to determine if the towing vehicle is level. Adjust chain to tighten or loosen one (1) link at a time if it is not.

The bars on the Blue Os are designed to deflect up to 3".

I use the Blue Ox on the 8th link and as a result I also need to jack the trailer up pretty high to get the bars off without much effort. To complicate it I store the trailer with the rear on a decent down hill slope. I do manage to get the bars off without much trouble though just need to use a small block under the jack tongue. Due to how high I need to take it it can be a little nerve racking. Need to use real big wheel blocks and I put the rear stabilizers part way down in hopes they will help stop it should it start to do a real big tilt back should I go to high.

If the tug has any amount of side slope then it is possible to get one bar off easily but not the other - to fix the problem I usually just need to take it up an inch more.

Currently looking for a new home and due to the above experience it will have a level parking spot for the trailer. :-)
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Thx, Northerngirl. Don't know why I need so much block on front. Kinda puzzling but like like problems
Old 08-14-2016, 06:56 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
Thx, Northerngirl. Don't know why I need so much block on front. Kinda puzzling but like like problems
I am not sure why you are having to do that either. Cant see your trailer info on your post so no idea if perhaps we have a different jack. Mines an older 3500lb Super Jack and no problems getting it high enough to disconnect on slight inclines with no wood blocks under the jack stand. In my driveway I do have a 4" block under it, although that may even be a bit of any over kill.

Have you reviewed the installation manual to ensure its been mounted at the correct distance on the tongue?

As other suggest perhaps a stop in at a local Airstream dealer or hitch shop is in order to ensure all is as it should be.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Update

After a few drinks and some rest I've reloaded at setup this am. Remember I am new to this. I have been counting the 8 links from the bar instead of chain end. That puts me at 9 so that's why I have so much tension. When I get home I'll take care of that. Thanks for all good info.