Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Joy in driving.

Ok, I am on of those people who enjoys driving.

I also really enjoy spending time in my Airstream.

However, I didn't much like driving when I was pulling my Airstream because it demanded 100% of my attention. (Much more demanding than driving an 18 wheeler)

The installation of my Hensley hitch changed all of that, now I enjoy driving while pulling my trailer.

Anyone else of the opinion that the addition of a HAHA or ProPride add to the joy of traveling as much or more as they add to safety?

The way my trailer pulls is like night and day. Amazing product!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I completely agree! It is a pleasure to tow with my ProPride. The only time I am stressed is on twisty narrow roads.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
After a lot of reading on the forum before I even saw our first Airstream, I was made aware of the Hensley hitch and decided that with a smaller tow vehicle (2007 Mercedes ML 320 CDI diesel) I should get the best hitch possible. There was not a lot of chatter about the Pro ProPride (version 2 of the Hensley design) at that time.

The Hensley on our first Airstream and now the ProPride on our second Airstream make driving much less stressful. The issue now is maintaining a proper speed for the situation and distance from the folks in front as the rig weighs close to 19,000 pounds and does not stop or handle like a Porsche with ABS brakes.

I am learning to ignore the line behind if I think 55 is all the speed I need despite a higher posted number, such as on the winding mountain roads. At the first safe opportunity, I pull over and let folks pass.

In Indiana where I am from, the law is to pull over if five or more vehicles are backed up behind you.

While the 55 mph speed limit for trucks and vehicles with trailers seems to be ignored a lot of the time in California, I still have seen performance awards being given out to those that chose to ignore that limit. A non-local needs time to decipher the road signs there when getting to new destination.

Our first time towing to a Long Beach trailer park from the East side of the Phoenix area was an energy draining experience for me and we arrived at the destination before afternoon rush hour. When we were ready to return home, we left after the morning rush hour and that helped. The two GPS systems were at odds on the route which did not make things easier.

If I have a long distance to travel in a fixed time, I prefer the interstate system out West in rural areas. Big cities seem to sprout idiot drivers like dandelions in the grass in the MidWest lawns.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have no experience with the hensley or propride ( other than being personally attacked and insulted by the owner on this forum) but I have the same feelings about the Blue Ox SwayPro. Very to easy hook up and unhook, clean (no external grease to get all over everything), quite and absolutely no sway allowed. So easy and relaxing to drive while using the Blue Ox SwayPro. All this for a reasonable price that you do not need to take a second mortgage to afford. I just finished my first trip of 700 miles using the Blue Ox SwayPro with zero white knuckle moments. A true joy to use. They are a US company that still understands the concept of customer service, actually answers the telephone and respond quickly to emails. Not an employee or a paid shill, just a happy customer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Michael, I agree. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Compared to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Ok, I am on of those people who enjoys driving.

I also really enjoy spending time in my Airstream.

However, I didn't much like driving when I was pulling my Airstream because it demanded 100% of my attention. (Much more demanding than driving an 18 wheeler)

The installation of my Hensley hitch changed all of that, now I enjoy driving while pulling my trailer.

Anyone else of the opinion that the addition of a HAHA or ProPride add to the joy of traveling as much or more as they add to safety?

The way my trailer pulls is like night and day. Amazing product!
I'm glad you are enjoying traveling. Before the Hensley, were you towing your Airstream(s) with a different weight distributing hitch, or without one?

I'm still towing with an old-fashioned WD hitch. Adjusted well, the rig tows better than with the hitch adjusted poorly (meaning the front end is light), but there is still room for improvement. I'm in a quandary about whether to upgrade to a Hensley/ProPride hitch.....
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Is it truly an upgrade if you are happy with your current set up?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Is it truly an upgrade if you are happy with your current set up?
Yes.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Joy in driving.

I cant say anything about other set ups, I have ;

A. Towed on the ball

B. Towed with the Hensley

For me the issue is sway, because over about 62 my trailer tended to sway now and then, but the bigger issue is how sweet it is to drive now.

I find myself getting ready for things that don't happen any more. I mean before when a truck passed I would always want to be sitting up straight and have two hands on the wheel for the inevitable, being blown away from the truck, and then instantly being sucked into the truck... Nothing happens now.

Also I might see an irregularity in the road knowing that I am going to have to do some driving, and now nothing happens...

I have some very well set up fifth wheel trailers and one tons for my work, surprisingly my Airstream feels every bit as capable and solid as these trucks.

There is a different feeling with a fifth wheel set up that inspires confidence, but my Hensley has made my Airstream pull as well.... So far anyway.

Yea I am impressed. I still say that such a thing is NOT NEEDED, but it is nice.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I have towed with the regular WD ( chain type) and now for the last 3 A/S's with an equal-i-zer and I must say that the biggest change for me was going from single axle 20ft to a dual axle and 5ft longer 25ft for both towing and backing. I think that the tow vehicle and properly set up WD system along with the stability of the longer trailer was the most calming on my nerves.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Oh , I am not a shill or trying to sell ProPrides or Hensleys...

Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeikle View Post
I have towed with the regular WD ( chain type) and now for the last 3 A/S's with an equal-i-zer and I must say that the biggest change for me was going from single axle 20ft to a dual axle and 5ft longer 25ft for both towing and backing. I think that the tow vehicle and properly set up WD system along with the stability of the longer trailer was the most calming on my nerves.

George
I can relate to that. I recently went from a 17ft. vintage Airstream to a 2006 23ft. double axle. While the little Bambi II towed very well using an Andersen WD system it is a huge difference in towing feel between the two trailers. Towing home 1600 miles with a POS Draw Tite with zero sway control that was not set up properly was a true white knuckle experience several times. Totally different experience with a properly set up Blue Ox SwayPro.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Oh , I am not a shill or trying to sell ProPrides or Hensleys...
I would claim that you ARE a shill. You yourself stated that you have pulled "on the ball" and then with the Hensley. Of course you are going to have a much better experience with an anti sway WD system. Come on, think about what you just said.

I have only towed with an Equalizer. I never towed without it and never just "on the ball". I have over 25K miles with my Equalizer and can make the same claims you have made. I also towed an SOB with the equalizer and never experienced any trouble with sway or anything else.

I am glad that you like your Hensley. I also think that there are many of us out there that tow with the same ease as you claim using substandard (by your insinuation) WD systems. Again, I am glad that you are happy with your system. Please don't judge others who use something different.

On Edit: I was referring to the comment made by CWF as far as my last statment.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Joy in driving.

I don't think I judged anyone or their sway control.

All I said about other sway control is that I have no experience with it....

From which of my statements did you derive my supposed hostility?

Please let me know so I might not offend you again.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I see your edit now,,, but Even in view of what CWF said, I don't see the offense.

But now that you brought it up, what if these articulated hitches are better but you having no experience with them don't know it?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #16
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I cannot say what anyone else's experience is. Thanks to everyone for their mutual respect of this fact.

For myself, I know there is a significant difference with each level and type of hitch/tow experience.

The 'projected link' or whatever name is used in the Hensley and/or ProPride is a unique tow experience... from my experience with bumper pull to receiver to fifthwheel, gooseneck, inline horse trailers to stock, car, moving, boat trailers... about the only thing I have not towed is an 18 Wheeler or mobile home trailer...

The ProPride I own does a significantly improved job of managing 'sway' and directional control/stability/aggressive maneuver.

It was way more money than I wanted to spend, but had a 'money back' guarantee...so, what did I have to 'lose'?

Actually it was a real 'experiment'... my thoughts were/are... "ok.. prove it".

Me and my big mouth...

Now my wife pulls the AS with care, respect and an increased confidence she can handle whatever the road throws at us.

Compare that to her first experience towing the AS (she is an accomplished trailer tow) where we had the Eze WD and anti-sway to the ProPride and it is a 'whole new trailer'.

Compare the ability to perform very aggressive swerve moves where curb side tires were off the pavement and easy recovery back onto the pavement without the dreaded 'jerk' into oncoming traffic, it proved itself... several times.

Compare ability to just 'point' the tow vehicle to avoid roadway sinkholes and the AS falls in just fine...thanks ProPride...

Compare ProPride ability to not let trailer/tow vehicle get 'out of alignment' in the first place (some anti-sway products merely dampen the deflection rate).. thanks ProPride...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I never was really white knuckled with any of my setups (drawtite with friction, EQ, Reese Dual cam, maybe some others I just don't recall). None of them scared me, but PPP is the end all, be all...no question nor argument in my experience and opinion. That is all. Good night Grace.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is a difference.

With all other "bumper pull" hitches, any side forces the tongue places on the receiver are pivoted on the rear axle and felt at the steering axle. The Hensley/ProPride design works differently, any side forces the tongue places on the receiver are projected forward to the rear axle where they are stopped (similar to a fifth wheel trailer), never felt on the steering axle.

If on very slippery roads with friction sway control, the friction that resists the trailer moving out of alignment with the truck also resists it from returning to alignment if it does, creating an unstable condition. There is no friction sway control with the Hensley/ProPride design.

The result is a trailer that cannot move out of alignment with the truck in gusting side winds or passing semis, and no side movement sent to the front axle. An absolutely effortless driving experience in severe wind or traffic conditions.

So yes, the joy of driving is the Hensley/ProPride experience. Worth every penny.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Your note about it changing the way the trailer acts is dead on.

It is much more than sway control and WD.

(I have towed quite a bit too, big and small trucks, even a mobile home once.... But only about 15 miles and never fast)

Frankly I was shocked at the way the hitch totally changed the character of the trailer. Yea I read where others said it would, but I always wonder how much is true and how much is fluff. As far as my experience goes it is true.

These days I am pretty much a frugal kind of guy, If the hitch didn't make a big difference for me I would have put it back on eBay where I found it.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Please elaborate more on the different "feel" of a single vs dual axel as it relates to driving. All things being equal (proper set up and a wd hitch and sway control), is one inherently better, and why? Thanks in advance.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote