Old 08-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Rockingham , North Carolina
Hensley and PP crowd,

What makes it better than Reese or Equalizer? Specifically. What's the real world benefit.

Reese crowd,

What role does the dual cam play? I've never seen a WD hitch in person. Laymans terms appreciated.

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
For every person pulling a trailer there is a different opinion on the best type of hitch. Personally I use a ProPride and would not consider anything else. Does that make the others bad? I don't think so. It just makes me VERY happy with the PP

Over time I have seen many folks buy different types of hitches... I have also seen many of them upgrade after using a brand X equalizer for a while. That said I don't know of anyone who went the other way. This of course in not to say it's NEVER happened I just don't know anyone who did.
Not sure that this helps in anyway. It's just my .02

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
Of course it helps. Thanks.

What is basic cost of the mentioned options?

Where do you buy them?

Easy to set up yourself? Who sets them up if not?

How do you know it's set up properly?

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #18
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
No end of threads. See hitch specific ones.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hooking up with the HA is a snap if you use a backup camera. I am able to hit the mark in only 1 or two attempts. I also have a horizontal tongue jack adapter that allows me to move the tongue left or right 3-4 inches and the jack allows for the vertical adjustment. By the way, my wife would be dead by now if I hadn't bought the backup camera when I bought the HA.

The second best feature of the HA after eliminating the sway is the ability to have the trailer tires track the TV tires. This is absolutely a great advantage when being caught in city traffic. The trailer doesn't cut the corners and run over the curbs.

But to be honest any hitch will work fine if the driver is responsible, experienced, cautious, considerate and lucky. The fancy hitches only helps the novice stay out of trouble. The fancier the hitch the more trouble that is avoided.

Happy trails
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Didn't know the trailer tires tracked with the TV tires. If true that might change my opinion slightly to the pp.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
I too have the Reese Strait line WD with trunnion style bars and dual cam. I love it.

The role of the dual cam, briefly: The Weight Distribution (WD) bars are under spring tension and requires force to "lift" them. The is a curve in the bars that mates on a "cam" mounted to the trailer frame. however, the curve and the cam only mate when the trailer is straight (inline with the truck). If the trailer attempts to sway (out of alignment) it moves the curve of the bar away from the cam. since the bar is under spring tension this movement requires force. That force results in "pressure" on the AS to maintain a straight position (or return to a straight position) behind the TV.

It's my understanding that there are "better" systems but that does not imply the Dual Cam is not a great system.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Basic difference.

All hitches use the idea of providing enough friction to control the trailer from swaying. Mathematically, that should not work.

Hensley and PP use no friction and project the pivot point closer, or even past the rear axle. The trailer is not physically capable of swaying. The reason a 5th wheel trailer tows so well. Big difference.

Yes people successfully use friction devices every day, but mathematically (engineering wise) there is a major difference. If a person has not towed with a Hensley, they truly have no idea, they could not possibly have a reliable opinion on how good or not the Hensley tows. On the other hand, most Hensley owners have towed with other hitches before the Hensley.
Phil and Kathy Sinewe
2003 30' Classic W/Hensley Arrow
2014 F-150
Centerville, OH
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member
Those are very helpful replies. Thank you. I've never towed anything but our flatbed raft trailer, kayak trailer, and Harley trailer. Have never had any issues with these light trailers. But having never towed anything of weight, it's hard to know what issues these WD hitches are meant to prevent.

Sure, no sway, I get that. But wondering what kind of feedback the driver might have to warn him if a bad condition exist. For example, not using a WD hitch or having one that isn't set up properly. Vehicle vibrations? Do you feel 'tail wagging dog' as I might imagine, truck shaking? How do you know your hitch is set up properly is my question I guess.

Is there a preferred online source for buying these WD hitches? What I'm pondering is buying a Hensely or PP and setting it up myself. Maybe with Slowmover on speaker phone. Haha. Or letting local Airstream dealer dial in a Reese with dual cam so many seem to suggest.

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Personally, wouldn't trust any dealer to "dial in" any hitch....too much at stake and too many salesmen and too few knowledgeable and contientious technibians anymore..learn to do it yourself...not hard and you will soon recognize the effect of different settings, listings,'s not just your safety, but everyone else. Just saying from living for a few years 😃
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Since I do not tow with a Hensley and use my calibrated butt to tell me when things are not right with the rig. Does the Hensley mask issues like low tire pressures or can you still feel the rig despite the added control of the hitch?
Dave & MJ
1988 32' Excella 1000 (Beauty)
1999 White Dodge SLT Laramie 3500 Dually, 4x4, 5spd, 5.9 CTD 235k+ (The Beast)
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Dan, I started with a conventional hitch (Blue Ox Sway Pro) and then ended up switching to a used ProPride I found on Craigs List. The Sway Pro was certainly not bad, but I do think the ProPride is more stable. Maybe we can work out a deal when you get your Airstream. You can borrow the Sway Pro to try it out and let me use one of those kayaks of yours during that time...��
Echelon73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Do a personal search for "Foiled Again" on this site. She flipped an Airstream a couple years ago. Send her a personal message asking her about feedback she got through the wheel and how fast she needed to react to prevent the crash. I think she was using a Reese. There have been a number of Proprides that have also flipped, but because there are a lot fewer of them out there, the occurrence level is low. There also used to be a Pullrite hitch which duplicated the pivot about the rear axles like the 5th wheels. Make a model and you will immediately see that neither ball pivot or 5th wheel (PP or H) pivot cause the trailer wheels to exactly follow the tow vehicle wheel route, either going forward or back.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
2005 30' Classic
Fairlawn , Virginia
We had a Reese dual cam that came with the AS we bought for about a month. Put about 1K miles on it and didn't like it much. Bought a reconditioned Hensley and have been very happy. Harder to make the initial connection but quicker otherwise to hookup. No sway, very solid comfortable feeling pulling it now. We sold the Reese for $300 so our net cost after buying goodies with it was about 1800.

fth is offline   Reply With Quote