Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
The reason for law is if I am In a parking lot, no one walking by can walk into it and get hurt.
Growing up, Dad always referred to his hitch insert as his "life line" and he knew without it he would be stuck with no way to move the trailer, so he always removed it as soon as possible once set up at the campsite or arriving back in the driveway. The insert was never in the receiver unless it was absolutely needed. He worried it would disappear into the hands of some unscrupulous fellow.

I do the same...but say to each his own. I can't believe there are laws, even though there apparently are, about leaving it in. Whose business is it, really, and no one should be walking that close to your tow vehicle anyway, and if they do, then they deserve a good shin splint!!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I remember hearing that if a car rear-ends a vehicle with a hitch sticking out, even at very slow speed, the ball can hit the airbag sensor causing the airbag to deploy resulting in serious injury in a low speed collision.

Not sure if any that is true, but makes me think twice about leaving the hitch head in.

I always remove my hitch head when not in use, first to keep ball grease off my pants, and second to prevent theft.
How inconvenient would it be to be on vacation and have someone walk off with my hitch head, there goes $300 not to mention I'd probably end up driving around on a Sunday looking for a store that was open and had a new hitch in stock.
I usually latch the hitch head in the trailer coupler and lock it while camping. No chance of theft, no greasy pant legs, and I know exactly where my hitch is when it's time to leave.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I do use a locking pin to keep the head from disappearing. Had a bit of a problem finding a longer one to work with the 2.5 inch receiver on most the new trucks.

I was under the impression airbags were set off by something detecting the deceleration rate. Not sure though.

If leaving it on I cover the ball with a piece of tinfoil. Serves as a grease cover and makes the hitch easier to see. I just leave the foil on when I hitch up and use a new piece next time. Being I park at the back of parking lots , if you walk into my hitch I wonder why you were so close to the back of my truck anyway.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Champaign , Illinois
hitch laws

I live in the twin cities of champaign/Urbana Illinois. Illinois does not have that law as far as I know, but the City of Urbana has a law and they seem to like to ticket vehicles that have hitches on them while not towing anything. They like anything that can cause revenue to come to their coffers
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
We have a Reese Dual Cam WD hitch.

Because the combined cost of the drop shank and hitch/trunnion bar mount is what it is, I leave this on with we're out on the road.

I suspect most citations would be less. ;-)

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Cool

Aldeanfan, the trailer hitch ball will not hit the airbag sensors in most cases for airbags ,there are three airbag sensors on most vehicles one mounted inside the air bag module (airbag computer) and two other sensors mounted to usually the frame or on unibody car (frame rails) for airbag deployment you need one internal sensor in module and one external frame mounted sensor to make contact at the SAME time for airbag deployment, one is the power source battery positive( the internal sensor) and the other sensor battery negative( either external sensors) these air bag sensors work on g force , oh forgot to mention the external ones on the frame of the vehicle are mounted one on the left frame rail and other on right frame rails, so your hitch is in the Center it does not have to hit the sensor for deployment of the airbag all is needed is a very fast deceleration of the vehicle for airbag deployment.
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
For whatever it's worth, common sense would dictate that the hitch would be removed when not towing. It's not a difficult thing to do when you are unhooking and leveling at the park...
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
For whatever it's worth, common sense would dictate that the hitch would be removed when not towing. It's not a difficult thing to do when you are unhooking and leveling at the park...
Actually for many elderly people or those with bad backs it is a very difficult thing to do.
I know people who changed to a motor home because they could no longer bend and lift a 40 ot 50lb hitch head.

While I can still handle mine ok at 73 I can see the time could come where I can not.
I would rather lug around a full 30 lb propane bottle as deal with an awkward hitch head
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
While I have not been told to remove the hitch, we were instructed to remove/fold our towing mirrows when driving without the trailer inside Yellowstone.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
While I have not been told to remove the hitch, we were instructed to remove/fold our towing mirrows when driving without the trailer inside Yellowstone.
Makes sense, the Yellowstone Park roads are tight!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Hitch laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Actually for many elderly people or those with bad backs it is a very difficult thing to do.
I know people who changed to a motor home because they could no longer bend and lift a 40 ot 50lb hitch head.

While I can still handle mine ok at 73 I can see the time could come where I can not.
I would rather lug around a full 30 lb propane bottle as deal with an awkward hitch head
I fully understand about elderly people having a problem removing the hitch. I happen to be 75, and have been lucky to be in fairly good shape so far on this life's journey.
When age does catch up to me, I'll either quit towing or switch to a motorhome, and I'm not looking forward to that time.
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote