Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
Front hitch for scooter

I have a 2006 F-350 with 4WD FX Off Road package and a V10. It's big and strong and high and more than I need to tow my 22' 7600 GVWR Airstream.

I want to take a scooter with me, which I have not yet purchased, and carry it on a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier. It will weigh 230 to 350 lbs depending on what I get. The physical dimensions depend on that as well.

There are several front hitches made for this vehicle. They all are rated for the weight. One goes in the space where the fog lamps are. That's too high and puts the scooter too high. I would prefer not to use a high-low receiver (up to 10") because it moves the scooter extra inches out from the truck. Others may attach differently.

How can I learn the exact mount points and geometry of the various hitches, since they do not seem to be available locally?
Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Good luck with that and let us know how it goes. I've been looking into front mounts for a scooter, also, and haven't come to any conclusions.

I went round and round with a front receiver mount on my old 1996 Dodge Ram, for a winch carrier, and ground clearance was a huge problem. I eventually sent the mount back and got a warn winch mount that did not use a receiver type connection but rather used the traditional mount to each of the frame rails.

I would think that excessive play, vertically and side to side, would be a source of considerable frustration with one of these setups.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote