Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Fastway E2 Trunnion Hitch

I needed a hitch that fit my budget. I purchased this one and think it is okay. It looks like a Reese hitch head with Equalizer style bars and friction sway resistance. It just has the friction pads on the L brackets, but no friction at the bar pivots in the hitch head. It has the "rivet" with washers to set the angle, and a stop bolt to keep the rivet tight similar to an Equalizer. At least I don't have to bolt on a friction sway control arm.

The Jeep has a very high mounted receiver at some 25" to the center of the 2". So I needed a LONG drop shank. But both the Jeep and the trailer leveled out rather nicely. We didn't visit the scales, but will soon.

We pulled the Trade Wind to Colorado with the Grand Cherokee without issues.

I was wondering if anyone else has used this hitch in the past? What do I need to watch out for?

David

e2™ Hitch » Fastway Trailer Products
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
I have this hitch and am very happy with it. Tow a 2015 23d with 2007 Silverado 1500. 1,000 lb bars.

Have had it for a little over a year. About 15 trips averaging about 100 mikes each. Max speed about 65 mph. I have never noticed the slightest hint of sway but, admittedly have never towed in heavy winds.

Quite a few miles on two lane highways and have never been bothered by passing trucks.

Steve
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for your response Steve. It is like a frankenstein hitch. Part Reese trunnion bar mount, and part Equalizer L bracket friction anti-sway. I was a little concerned about the stiff square bars giving the trailer a harsh ride. But we did not experience any disruption of sink covers off, towels off the racks, or dishes scrambled in the cabinets. And certainly no missing rivets yet.

It seems like a "good value" sway reducing, load distributing hitch.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Just to confirm, our bars are round at the hitch end and transition to a flat taper at the bracket end. Ours rides very nicely. 23D does carry a lot of tongue weight for size. 700 lbs if I remember correctly and we typically have a fair size load in the pickup bed so I have the bars pretty heavily loaded.

I do grease the sockets at the hitch and the bearing surface at the bracket. One thing I have noticed is that the inner bar will unload completely in a very sharp, low speed turn so, of course, it is very important to use the retaining clips even when maneuvering the trailer to park.
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
We have the E2 hitch - we did not pick it ourselves because the dealer recommended and we did not know any better at the time. However, I have been very pleased with it. I have a few thousand miles and although it can be a little loud when turning (by design) I have felt VERY stable going down the road. Trucks have little effect while passing and sway seems to be under control.

This is the model we have:

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Have you considered the Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch? Check them out, I saw one at Camping World. The salesman didn't know much about them so I looked them up on line. Check this out: Andersen No-Sway Weight Distributing Hitch 3386, 8 in. drop, Free shipping
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote