Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Fastway Flip automatic jack foot

Really interested in installing a Fastway Flip Jack Foot. Does it really work as advertised by Camping World and secondly, is it simple to drill a hole in the post to accommodate the Jack Foot.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Titu.

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
I don't have one, but it looks good! It would still sit a bit lower then normal when in the up position it seems.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Now if it just had a powered dolly wheel on it????
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I installed one in the fall. It works as described but sometimes need a bit of a kick/tap to get it lined up straight before the full weight of the trailer is on it. It is important to note... if you screw up and lower the trailer past the point where the thing starts to 'flip', you'll likely have your hitch on the ground... The flip action isn't meant to happen when there is weight on it... ie... if the foot can't flip vertically when you are raising it, you'll have to dig a hole for the foot to go in.

This isn't a problem on any kind of near-level surface, but just be aware that uneven surfaces require a bit of checking.

I regularly raise my hitch wayyy up, and it looks scary, but holds up just fine. I have a bad time as my trailer storage beside the house is flat, but my truck is on grade when I hook/unhook.

Drilling the hole is no big deal if you've got a good set of metal bits. You can use the foot itself as the guide. Use a bit of drilling oil, or WD40, to keep the bit cool...

I can't take a picture as my trailer is 8 hours away, getting a few things fixed...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Also - get the right size... I took home a 'small' one at first and didn't realize there were different sizes.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Thanks FRIDAY for the info. If you get a chance would appreciate a picture or two. I am leaning towards getting one.

Best,
Titu

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
What does this do that the OEM foot for the power jacks doesn't do? It looks like a permanent install, but is that it?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
What does this do that the OEM foot for the power jacks doesn't do? It looks like a permanent install, but is that it?

Gene
I know there are all kinds of different jack-foots... but on my Airstream it came with a puck-shaped base that you slid onto the jack and it just used pressure to keep it on. Every time I moved my trailer, I lifted the jack, the puck fell off, and I had to remember to throw it in the truck... if it gets lost, you can't unhook.

The idea with the FastWay is it stays attached and flips up to give you the clearance you need to move. You have to drill one hole through the jack to mount it, but you could always unbolt it and go back to a different style (wheel, puck).

It doesn't solve every problem... if you are on soft ground, you'll still need to put something under it. Also, the 'flip' part is about 4 inches long, so if you don't have at least that much clearance, it won't have room to swing down and be vertical.

On my Airstream, it was annoying to have to spin down a foot of jack shaft just to hit the base... now, after a few inches of jack, the Fastway is making contact with the ground.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks Fly. My problem with the foot was that it was much too tight and hard to get on and off.

I solved it. I forgot to remove it early in our travels with the Safari and dragged it along the ground for a while—it plows quite well. A camper came running after me with it in his hand. This caused the top to get bent outward and it fits much better.

The Fastway provides convenience. If I lose the OEM foot, i'll use a few blocks of wood. Works fine.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
We're camping this weekend in a State Park we visit several times a year. The Fastway would have been a problem, had we had one, as we have to crank the jack all the way down to level out. That's typical for the lakeside spots that we like. It looks good, but in some cases it could be more trouble than benefit.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
We're camping this weekend in a State Park we visit several times a year. The Fastway would have been a problem, had we had one, as we have to crank the jack all the way down to level out. That's typical for the lakeside spots that we like. It looks good, but in some cases it could be more trouble than benefit.
Yup, that's one of the issues I was trying to describe. I like mine, on a 22 foot with a <> 450lb tongue weight. On a bigger rig with a 800+ lb weight it would scare me a bit...
Old 02-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Any more recent feedback on the Fastway? Considering for our FC 23D.
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Still looking for some recent feedback.
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
I can't see how lowering the tongue all the way down would be a problem with the Fastway. I have had mine all the way down several times and there is no issue. I have had mine down so low it can't get lower. The front is touching the ground. The rear stabilizers didn't even come close to touching the ground. I had to put several 4x4s under the rear.

In the 100 plus campsites I have been at I have maybe used the foot twice. It is very rare that I use it. With the Hensley it poses another issue. If you back into a site that is very tight the Hensley interferes with the foot. You need to pull forward first to straighten the Hensley out in order to lower the foot.

Personally I thinking of removing it, since it causes more issues than it solves. I can always use blocks of wood under the front.

Walt
gator.bigfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
"If you back into a site that is very tight the Hensley interferes with the foot. You need to pull forward first to straighten the Hensley out in order to lower the foot."

That's what I have been wondering about it with our ProPride hitch. In other words, the w.d. bar will block the Fastway from coming down if the hitch is turned at an angle?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:00 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Had a Fastway flip foot installed on our 23 FB and really for some reason I just didn't like it seems to me especially when your on an incline that the damn thing might just buckle . You have to watch when the unit is being deployed , that it is fully down like mentioned by another poster .Also the mechanic that installed it did not set the limiter properly on the jack and it keep blowing fuses ( 30 amp) until I had it adjusted . There's another story about the fuse on your jack , they are special 30 amp slow blow and hard to find. Anyway I don't have it on the 27FB , and that is my experience.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
That's what I have been wondering about it with our ProPride hitch. In other words, the w.d. bar will block the Fastway from coming down if the hitch is turned at an angle?
Yes. The W.D. bars block the foot from coming down. Really annoying when you've already chocked the wheels and sometimes "plugged in" only to find out you can't lower the Jack. Now it is the first thing I try. After going back to the Hensley late last year I hope I don't forget about it this year. It's more of an annoyance.

As far as the Fastway goes I don't think it is useful on an Airstream trailer. An SOB yes, but an AS no. The trailers are much lower to the ground to begin with and I have never run out of travel on the Jack on a real campsite. When I park the AS next to my house is the only time I run out of Jack, but I am unable to deploy the Fastway since the SUV is on such a steep slope the Tongue is almost on the ground when I go to unhitch and it can't swing out.

Walt
gator.bigfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Well, I just ordered one for my 25FC and will watch these concerns, but am optimist it will help. I'll definitely watch as it is deployed to ensure it is vertical. If it doesn't work out I'll remove it.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've used a couple of different jack feet, one the factory stand that stuck to the shaft and had to be pounded off, another that screwed on and interfered with the w.d. bars.

I had a scrap piece of 6x8x12 wood lying around, dropped the jack on it without issues, and it's doing the job very well as we move around the country.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote