Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
arroyo grande , California
Question Equal-l-zer new member advice

i need t make on a decision on the most suitable sway bar for a 2006 25' Safari fb that i'm picking up next weekend. the fitted cost for the equal-l-zer will be @$800 + tax . Are there alternatives out there that i should consider that aren't as expensive ( fitted)? thanks in advance for any advice.
jsinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
The Reese Dual Cam is another fine system. Not sure about price, but I think it's cheaper than the Equal-i-zer.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
This idea might not be timely in your case, but when I bought that exact same trailer new in 2006, I negotiated a deal with the dealer that required him to install the Equalizer that I bought over the internet and had shipped to him directly at a total cost of $400. The price has probably gone up some since 2006 but your $800 figure sounds like a top penny price. A variation of my deal would be to still have a new one shipped directly to where the trailer is but negotiate the lowest possible installation price by the seller (if the seller is a dealer).
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinus View Post
i need t make on a decision on the most suitable sway bar for a 2006 25' Safari fb that i'm picking up next weekend. the fitted cost for the equal-l-zer will be @$800 + tax . Are there alternatives out there that i should consider that aren't as expensive ( fitted)? thanks in advance for any advice.
The value of your Airstream "far" exceeds the cost of a good hitch.

There are many differences in load equalizing hitchs.

Cheap hitches, are exactly that, and that's how they perform as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As part of my deal on my Classic, I negotiated my Equal-i-zer hitch at dealer's cost. Since my slide out has a very heavy hitch weight I negotiated a new Class V receiver and the equivalent hitch. My cost was about $400 for the receiver and hitch. I've been very happy with the Equal-i-zer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
That's the going rate if you want it installed. The Reese dual cam is cheaper and can be purchased at a discount at cash and carry places but then you have to bolt it on yourself.

A consideration with service places is they are typically charging 100% markup on parts as well as the hourly labor.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
That's the going rate if you want it installed. The Reese dual cam is cheaper and can be purchased at a discount at cash and carry places but then you have to bolt it on yourself.

A consideration with service places is they are typically charging 100% markup on parts as well as the hourly labor.
I wish a large parts markup of 100 percent was true.

If so, I could have been a "zillionaire" 30 years ago, at least.

Labor costs, such as in California, are outrageous because of the state. Shoulder injuries are very common, to people that do paperwork, all day.

Workmans comp, in California, is a bigger joke than the state itself.

Then, who pays the rent?

Ah yes, if only RV business people were guilty of making big bucks. NOT.

Andy
Old 03-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Take a look at the Reese Dual Cam. I have an Equal-i-zer. It does a good job. However, it was not designed for an Airstream You must re-route the propane line under the tongue in order for the hitch to clamp on as it was designed to do.

Take a look at rvsupplieswarehouse.com

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
arroyo grande , California
Re the Reese Dual Cam, our local supplier only has a Husky but says works the same. Just wondering if you considered the Husky b4 deciding on the equal-i-zer or if you compared the Husky to the Reese
jsinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
I have an Equal-i-zer. It does a good job. However, it was not designed for an Airstream You must re-route the propane line under the tongue in order for the hitch to clamp on as it was designed to do
John
The Equal-i-zer fits the Airstream perfectly by adjusting the propane line down 1/2" -- no re-routing required nor advisable. Just a five minute job to space it down enough to clear the bracket's single bottom bolt.

Last week we replaced the receiver with a robust Curt Hitch 15208. We couldn't get the front of the tow vee down within specifications and suspected the flimsy oem receiver. And, our hitch weight was almost 1,000 pounds (not unreasonable at 6,300 pounds * .15), so we were concerned about possible hitch/receiver failure based upon the lousy reputation of the GM receivers.

I reviewed the Equal-i-zer hitch tuning instructions this morning before taking apart the hitch and re-installing it. The truck fender's front and rear measurements from driveway meet the recommended specs, the truck and trailer are level.

We are among several others above who paid $400 for our Equal-i-zer a few years ago. Installed it ourselves easily and quickly. Very good directions from the mfr, and the tuning instructions are excellent. We'd purchase the same one today, even if it required twice the price. Like Andy said, the trailer is worth it.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't recall what the dealer charged for the Equalizer, but they did a bad job of installing it. Eventually you have to learn how it works and how to adjust it. The washers tend to compress and the bolts may loosen, so periodic adjustments will come.

But, the hitch has worked well even when not perfectly adjusted. I believe some hitches can't be attached when backing, but that is not true of the Equalizer.

$800 seems like a lot and I hope you looked into alternatives for buying a weight distributing hitch. Since you picked up your trailer a week or more ago, let us know how it worked out for you.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinus View Post
Equalizer; $399 delivered to your door rvwholesalers.com...best 400 bucks you'll spend...
Old 04-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Load equalizing hitches.

The cost of a "load equalizing hitch" should always be secondary to the performance and safety that your assured of getting from that brand and it's configuration.

Safety and performance, is always first.

Andy